What do you base your opinion of JS on?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Do you have a legit source for this? Otherwise, it's nothing more than a rumor with no basis whatsoever.

It was on Cowherd's show where he claimed a scout reached out to him. Could he be lying? Sure. But my gut tells me he's not. I think John sort of dropped hints to it during his PC. ALso they've been below average draft wise until recently yet the league still views John as an elite GM. The league knows more about the other teams than we realize so why would they hold him in such high regard if the results haven't been great? Drafting was very average to below average, FA has been largley hit and miss too. I think it all fits together but it's also a complete guess.

Jac

Reaction score
It was on Cowherd's show where he claimed a scout reached out to him. Could he be lying? Sure. But my gut tells me he's not. I think John sort of dropped hints to it during his PC. ALso they've been below average draft wise until recently yet the league still views John as an elite GM. The league knows more about the other teams than we realize so why would they hold him in such high regard if the results haven't been great? Drafting was very average to below average, FA has been largley hit and miss too. I think it all fits together but it's also a complete guess.
It represents the dying throes of the “HC as a GM” movement. It’s not a sustainable model. GM’s build teams with several year horizons (or good ones do), while coaches are focused on the current year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I think he's an average at best GM. I don't think he's nearly as smart or clever as people on this board thinks he is.

Four years from now he will have been replaced or fled to Green Bay after he leaves this franchise a sinking ruin.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jody knows a hell of a lot more about what is going on (or at least she's getting advice from someone who has an inside track thereof) and the fact that she has kept JS on board at this juncture, shows one hell of a lot of trust in his ability, so yeah, that kind of steers my Opinion to the positive side of the scale.

Mase

Reaction score
- He doesn't have to be a leader of men, he just has to be a good evaluator of men or women for support roles. Like many previous posters, I feel it is very hard to give an honest assessment not knowing who fought for what. I relive the draft room when Wilson was drafted. You could tell JS was so relieved when Wilson got to us, and Pete was like, told you he would fall. So if we knew Jon had wanted to trade up to earlier in the third to get him, but Pete said no, that is very different than if Jon had wanted us to take him with our second pick, which would have cost us Bobby Wagner.
- I would love for a GM like JS, when all is said and done, to write a book about the shared experience or working with Pete. But only if he is honest about mistakes by both.

Mase

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet again, more proof that people actually think they know more about football than JS. It never stops being funny.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Jody knows a hell of a lot more about what is going on (or at least she's getting advice from someone who has an inside track thereof) and the fact that she has kept JS on board at this juncture, shows one hell of a lot of trust in his ability, so yeah, that kind of steers my Opinion to the positive side of the scale.
I don't trust Jody when it comes to sports. Look what she's done to the Trailblazers.

If we're relying on her to run the show, this franchise is doomed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So now you're an expert on Jody, and you KNOW how she is behind closed doors. The SAME Jody who most people (including myself) said wouldn't have the guts to move on from Pete? Ok...........

Jerhawk

Reaction score
So now you're an expert on Jody, and you KNOW how she is behind closed doors. The SAME Jody who most people (including myself) said wouldn't have the guts to move on from Pete? Ok...........
Well I know she's not an expert when it comes to sports.

She may have an eye for talent when it comes to other things, but not evaluating pro sports talent.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No one knows what really goes on, but there is a long record of well-sourced reports that her ownership and her deferral to Vulcan exec Bert Kolde has been extremely problematic for the Blazers organization. It's a valid worry, I think.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Good comments. I am certainly not anti JS but don’t feel like I have enough info to know if he is a “great” GM like some say.

Time will tell especially the new HC hire but if he hires Quinn my opinion will instantly change to him being an idiot.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bob Whitsitt was with the Sonics and rode coat tails to get into the Blazer organization and then once Paul bought the Seahawks was overseeing them as well. He was a living egocentric Bs'er, Holmgren and him fought internally before the combination of Blazer and Seahawks complaints and issues and decisions finally got him canned. This Bert guy could be very much the same way, wants prestige and accolades but does not know the first thing about what he is doing in the sports world.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good comments. I am certainly not anti JS but don’t feel like I have enough info to know if he is a “great” GM like some say.

Time will tell especially the new HC hire but if he hires Quinn my opinion will instantly change to him being an idiot.
We get it, you want to do the negative 24/7 thing. JS is a hell of a GM, even if you don't see it.

And it's not about who YOU want them to hire. And you don't know 20 percent about football as JS does. Even if you think you do.

Let's be real here. No matter WHO they hire, you'll say John is an idiot and you'll start a thread to tell us all how much he sucks.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Soulfish...cmon. We're having football discussions. We're all on the same level of knowing what's going on behind closed doors.

In my opinion, Schneider is average. The Adams trade was awful, but he made up for it with the Wilson trade. Then he went and pulled that Williams trade...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's cool. I think he's damn good. He's had some misses, like most GM's, but he's also had a lot of big-time hits.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do w/out Pete in his ear.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think he's an average at best GM. I don't think he's nearly as smart or clever as people on this board thinks he is.

Four years from now he will have been replaced or fled to Green Bay after he leaves this franchise a sinking ruin.

He must have boinked your wife or something, eh?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Thanks. I found the Cowherd clip. He said that "John too often deferred to the coach." But it doesn't specify who wanted whom. What if it was Pete who wanted DK for example? Or are we to believe Pete only wanted the Colliers and Eskridges of the world? While all the good picks were on John?

We do know that Pete coveted fast and physical players, just like Al Davis did.

IMO, there was a disconnect between Pete's vision and the talent acquisition. Pete liked fast and physical players with chips on their shoulders - basically the LOB roster. He wanted a smashmouth type team, which is why he pestered John to get the Lynch deal done. It’s why he wanted ET over Taylor Mays. It’s why he wanted Bruce Irvin, when he was on no one else's first round draft board. Kam, was that a Pete or John pick?

But then in recent drafts, they drafted o-line that graded high pass blocking but not run blocking? And K9 is fast, but he’s not a physical back like a Najee Harris or Breece Hall.

And Waldron was pass happy during his time here. Were they going away from Pete’s vision of a smash mouth team to get with the times? Did he allow Hurtt to bring in the Fangio scheme to get with the times, when he should have just stuck to what he knew best?

The 2023 team had no identity. Besides Spoon and DK, they were soft. I don’t know if that softness was John deferring to Pete or Pete deferring to John. Or most likely a combination thereof.

But we'll learn soon about what type of team John wants to build going forward.