What do you base your opinion of JS on?

Seahawker

Reaction score
Adams and Harvin fits the player profile that Pete covets. I'm pretty sure Pete told John to go get those guys, like he did with Lynch.

BUT the draft capital given up, is in John's wheelhouse. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Pete's in the negotiation room negotiating the trade value with the other GM.
I get it, I'm just wondering with Pete's strong loyalty and allegiance to his assistants, how much weight was given to OC's & DC's standing on the draft table yelling for a player... scouts included.
Because that moment is no time to be a nice guy.

knownone

Reaction score
I would argue this is similar to your example earlier of us wondering with zero evidence. I seriously doubt they just woke up one day and decided to fire Pete with no plan in place. John even stated he's been working on a contingency plan for months in case this was to happen.
In what way? See the second sentence: "It remains to be seen if that's the case in Seattle." Notice that I'm not drawing any conclusions about the current situation. This is a conditional statement of the form: If A, then B. Many others are making a casual statement: A results in B. The intention of these John/Pete posts may be conditional, but that's not how they are written. So, I can't make the distinction.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I'm just here to provide negative counter arguments and upset people. Essentially, a troll.

I'm just saying that I don't trust Schneider and some of these comments praising him are odd to me. I hope he proves me wrong
Ahh, gotcha.

RiverDog

Reaction score
All I know is that JS was all over Mahomes and Allen when they were virtual no names and that he was the driving force behind drafting Russell Wilson. At least as far as quarterbacks go, I trust his judgment.

As far as who was responsible for the horrible trades of the past (Harvin, Graham, and Adams) and busted draft picks, I don't really know if his fingerprints are on those transactions or not. All I know is that Pete was the top dog, the head of the pyramid, so I have to assume that the blame rests on him.

I want to see how well John manages our roster now that he's free and clear of the head coach. He's very experienced, so there shouldn't be any learning curve. If Pete were to blame, then we should see an immediate improvement.

GemCity

Reaction score
We know that during the fourteen year collaberation between PC & JS that Pete had final say over decisions. Excluding their early and last couple of drafts, we've had some bad luck mixed with a dry spell resulting in a weak roster and significant dead $ in our future.

Trades
Jamal Adams two 1st & a 3rd.
Percy Harvin 1st & 3rd.
Jimmy Graham 1st & Unger.
Trades = four 1st & two 3rds

Draft/round
2021 2 Eskridge
2019 1 Collier
2019 2 Blair
2019 3 Barton
2017 2 McDowell
2016 1 Ifedi
2014 2 Richardson
2014 2 Britt
2013 2 Michael
Draft Talley = two 1st, six 2nds & one 3rd

Total FA & Draft above.
Six 1st, six 2nd & three 3rd rounders.
So, for an 8 year period it was like we went without a 1st & 2nd round pick for six of those years and we accumulated dead money like nobody's business.

I don't think too many GM's would consider letting their offensive line and front seven defense crumble a success.
I also do not think throwing high Draft picks & salary cap $ at aging FA's is good for future team building.

I'll end this just to say I don't know who or what was at fault for the above but I have suspicions. If John is worth his salt it will take discipline over the next two years to recover from a mountain of dead money and restore this roster to full strength. Let JS do his business without any outside sources clamoring for new toys to play with. Moving forward John's name will be on it, he will own it. With a little patience and tempered expectations, I'm excited to see what he can do.
Holee Molee. I knew all of this but…when you see it altogether….

Yeck.

BASF

Reaction score
People keep going back and forth about the Adams trade, but I swear that Diggs said in one of his press conferences (I believe this season) that he was responsible for convincing Pete to bring Adams here. He talked about how they had met at the pro bowl while with Jets and Lions respectively and how they would play together. When Adams became available, Diggs apparently jumped at the chance to make it reality. Much to our detriment.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman ADB, Brandon Browner, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril.

2 things I will forgive John for: trading for Clipboard Jesus, and saying Brandon Mebane is a "Good, steady performer."

Brandon Mebane made that defense go by stopping the run.

ivotuk

Reaction score
We know that during the fourteen year collaberation between PC & JS that Pete had final say over decisions. Excluding their early and last couple of drafts, we've had some bad luck mixed with a dry spell resulting in a weak roster and significant dead $ in our future.

Trades
Jamal Adams two 1st & a 3rd.
Percy Harvin 1st & 3rd.
Jimmy Graham 1st & Unger.
Trades = four 1st & two 3rds

Draft/round
2021 2 Eskridge
2019 1 Collier
2019 2 Blair
2019 3 Barton
2017 2 McDowell
2016 1 Ifedi
2014 2 Richardson
2014 2 Britt
2013 2 Michael
Draft Talley = two 1st, six 2nds & one 3rd

Total FA & Draft above.
Six 1st, six 2nd & three 3rd rounders.
So, for an 8 year period it was like we went without a 1st & 2nd round pick for six of those years and we accumulated dead money like nobody's business.

I don't think too many GM's would consider letting their offensive line and front seven defense crumble a success.
I also do not think throwing high Draft picks & salary cap $ at aging FA's is good for future team building.

I'll end this just to say I don't know who or what was at fault for the above but I have suspicions. If John is worth his salt it will take discipline over the next two years to recover from a mountain of dead money and restore this roster to full strength. Let JS do his business without any outside sources clamoring for new toys to play with. Moving forward John's name will be on it, he will own it. With a little patience and tempered expectations, I'm excited to see what he can do.
Amen Brutha! I put 75% on Pete letting his assistants pound the table too hard and Pete being too loyal to an OC or DC when it was obvious they were terrible. Then he'd promote a new one, and let them have a new toy, that cost us dearly.

John Schneider once described somene pounding the table for Ifedi. "If you don't draft Ifedi, you don't know what you're doing!" (Sounds like Tom Cable to me), and John's thought was "Okay, I guess I'm drafting Ifedi.

I doubt he lets that happen, ever again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No, that was the right call, I'll give her that

But now she's in a "now what" predicament.
So Hmm, it's all about what YOU think needs/needed to be done by Schneider?, or Jody??
I'm not going to PRETEND to I know (like a whole bunch of folks here) that a LOT of Personnel decisions were all on John, I mean after all, wasn't it Pete Carroll who had the final say? now whether John ran his ideas through Pete only to be vetoed WE PROBABLY will never know, am I right?
Obviously, there was a consensus by the higher ups in the organization to KEEP John and let Pete Carroll walk...And Here's the thing, who's to say FOR CERTAIN that Jody has or HASN'T made the best decision for the Seahawks Franchise.
I LOVE what PETE Carroll has established in Seattle, but >THAT'S JUST MY TAKE<, but the truth is, maybe John Schneider filled in a lot of PC's weaknesses.
I'm all for seeing how JS in the drivers seat works out BEFORE imagining him to be a Seahawks GM BUST.

morgulon1

Reaction score
John Schneider had extensive training with the Green Bay organization,spent some time with Kansas City.

The Leonard Williams trade smells like a desperate head coach who thinks he's one DT away from greatness.

I am confident Schneider is going to make the most of this opportunity.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
So Hmm, it's all about what YOU think needs/needed to be done by Schneider?, or Jody??
I'm not going to PRETEND to I know (like a whole bunch of folks here) that a LOT of Personnel decisions were all on John, I mean after all, wasn't it Pete Carroll who had the final say? now whether John ran his ideas through Pete only to be vetoed WE PROBABLY will never know, am I right?
Obviously, there was a consensus by the higher ups in the organization to KEEP John and let Pete Carroll walk...And Here's the thing, who's to say FOR CERTAIN that Jody has or HASN'T made the best decision for the Seahawks Franchise.
I LOVE what PETE Carroll has established in Seattle, but >THAT'S JUST MY TAKE<, but the truth is, maybe John Schneider filled in a lot of PC's weaknesses.
I'm all for seeing how JS in the drivers seat works out BEFORE imagining him to be a Seahawks GM BUST.
You're right.

I'm with John!

BASF

Reaction score
Why is everyone so certain JS wanted Josh Allen? Reports from Team Me3 is we tried to trade him to the Browns for the first pick. This assertion was "confirmed" by the Browns but as this article ( https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...ssell-wilson-to-the-cleveland-browns-in-2018/) states: every team called them for the number one pick. If Wilson was mentioned it would be for both the first and fourth pick. So, it's not like there is any confirmation that we wanted to draft Josh Allen. Simply conjecture because he was at his workouts. So were several GMs, coaches and execs.

According to this article (https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1740...insight-into-how-he-picks-pro-days-to-attend/) Schneider was at Allen and Mahomes' pro days because he had not actually gotten to see them play live before that, which he apparently does for the guys he wants to see specifically. His Mahomes chance was cancelled before the pro day, so he had to attend that. He was unable to see Allen before his pro day, because something came up in Seattle.

There was an assertion on this site that we tried to trade to get Allen in his draft, but were unable to get it done, using the Browns scenario as proof. However, where are the other teams that were before Allen was drafted saying that the Seahawks were trying to make a trade happen to get him? It is an overblown aspect to this situation.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I keep seeing people saying he is one of the best. I am not against JS but there have been plenty of dumbass moves over the last 8 years and he had to play a role in most of them.

So, honest question, why do you think JS is a great GM if in fact you do believe that?
90ca73642afab839e5b4ec67208041f0f319c4ae094ee24a57

bigcc

Reaction score
We're frequently in a bind regarding cap space so that's a negative.

I think he's a good judge of talent, I don't really blame him for a number of the picks/trades (how could he have seen McDowell nearly paralyzing himself and jamal tearing his quad off the bone?)

He's also the guy who took lockett in the 3rd, dk with the last pick in the second, witherspoon might be droty, tariq was 3rd the year before.

All that being said, this is his first hiring at HC, so we're going to learn a lot fairly soon.

Whoever he hires needs to at least be hanging around 8-9 wins first two years.....

If he hires someone who gives us 6-7 wins for a couple of years they're both probably gone.

Jac

Reaction score
We're frequently in a bind regarding cap space so that's a negative.

I think he's a good judge of talent, I don't really blame him for a number of the picks/trades (how could he have seen McDowell nearly paralyzing himself and jamal tearing his quad off the bone?)

He's also the guy who took lockett in the 3rd, dk with the last pick in the second, witherspoon might be droty, tariq was 3rd the year before.

All that being said, this is his first hiring at HC, so we're going to learn a lot fairly soon.

Whoever he hires needs to at least be hanging around 8-9 wins first two years.....

If he hires someone who gives us 6-7 wins for a couple of years they're both probably gone.
It definitely feels like we're always in a salary cap bind. On one hand, I realize that it's our team trying to field a competitive roster as possible...but on another hand, it never feels like it's ever in great shape.

I agree on McDowell. That pick gets criticized for a variety of reasons, but it's an example of making a pick for high-upside athletic potential despite the character flags (something we used to criticize Ruskell for not doing at the detriment of his mediocre rosters). In fact, our "culture" at the time was that Carroll was great in rehabilitating these kind of players and getting the most out of their talents. There was sound logic at the time.

bigcc

Reaction score
It definitely feels like we're always in a salary cap bind. On one hand, I realize that it's our team trying to field a competitive roster as possible...but on another hand, it never feels like it's ever in great shape.

I agree on McDowell. That pick gets criticized for a variety of reasons, but it's an example of making a pick for high-upside athletic potential despite the character flags (something we used to criticize Ruskell for not doing at the detriment of his mediocre rosters). In fact, our "culture" at the time was that Carroll was great in rehabilitating these kind of players and getting the most out of their talents. There was sound logic at the time.
100 percent agreement, there was also a LOT of leadership on that team to help out, but it never got a chance to get that far. People hating the pick because he had character concerns probably thought the same way about marshawn, Frank clark, Irvin etc

If there's shade to throw at Schneider, it's for picks like collier

Latest posts