What Good Does It Do Us To Let Our Coaches Interview Now?

drdiags

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2h72ipha said:
The NFL is a League of Giant Egos! Pete, deep down inside, would enjoy being the next Bill Walsh. To make your indelible mark in this league by creating a new "coaching mentality" like Bill did.....creating a new "coaching tree". Might as well start in 2014.

My question is how do you determine if a coach is from your tree or not? Cable has been a head coach and has coached under Reeves and Shell(?) as well as Mora(?). Bradley was with Tampa and under Mora. Quinn was under others as well as Bevell under Childress.

With Parcells and Holmgren, it is easier to see how coaches were developed in their tree.

To me, Norton, Seto, Richard would count as coming from the Carroll tree. Not sure about the others.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
drdiags":1dpsjas8 said:
Bigpumpkin":1dpsjas8 said:
The NFL is a League of Giant Egos! Pete, deep down inside, would enjoy being the next Bill Walsh. To make your indelible mark in this league by creating a new "coaching mentality" like Bill did.....creating a new "coaching tree". Might as well start in 2014.

My question is how do you determine if a coach is from your tree or not? Cable has been a head coach and has coached under Reeves and Shell(?) as well as Mora(?). Bradley was with Tampa and under Mora. Quinn was under others as well as Bevell under Childress.

With Parcells and Holmgren, it is easier to see how coaches were developed in their tree.

To me, Norton, Seto, Richard would count as coming from the Carroll tree. Not sure about the others.

Presently, there is no known DNA test. I let the "talking heads on TV" determine that. ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HereToRead":32173x44 said:
Mojambo":32173x44 said:
Pete's coaching style is largely developmental. That extends to the coaching staff.

10 years from now there will be a Carroll coaching tree branching all over the NFL.

Its a slight stretch because Pete is included from the Bill Walsh coaching tree via Bruce Coslet via Sam Wyche. Sam Wyche being an assistant with the 49ers from 79-82 before becoming the HC of the Bengals with Coslet as his OC, when Coslet was the HC of the Jets, Pete was his DC and then became the coach of the Jets.

Not at all. Pete coached D for the Niners, thus he does not fall under the Bill Walsh tree. Walsh was an offensive guru.

Holmgren and Reid do though. It has nothing to do with where you were first hired, it's about philosophy. Which puts Pete under the Kiffen tree. Except Pete does not run a tampa 2 like Kiffen.

Pete has innovated a new style of D in the NFL, cover 1/3 with pressing massive corners and run stopping with the biggest DE in the NFL. He is innovative enough to get his own "tree". Add his positive reinforcement method and you have a unique coaching style.

By your narrative Bill Belichick's "tree" is just another part of Bill Parcells lineage. And whoever taught Bill Parcells, assuming he didn't learn to coach in a vacuum.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete was denied a chance to interview when he was at Minnesota. It didn't sit well with him. Combine that with his natural inclination to help people, and it's not surprising that he would allow his own assistants to interview.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
drdiags":233jc4rr said:
NFL Rules permit it for teams not playing this weekend. Pete has said he would do whatever he could to help his coaches get where they want to go. He cannot turn around and deny them the chance for his own short term gain.

The NFL should put a moratorium on hiring of coaches during the playoffs. The successful coaches get penalized since teams choose not to wait for them until after the Superbowl. This is better than Gus getting interviewed the evening before the Falcons last year. The NFL will not do this, since College coaches are also in play and the Universities need to replace ASAP any coaches hired away from them, due to recruiting.

It is just a big mess. I know posters got mad last year because of the interviews being done while the team had a playoff game but nothing will change until the NFL decides it needs to.
I get the employer analogy that others have made + the coaching tree legacy argument. Still, if one gets hired to be an assistant coach and that NFL team is in the position the Seahawks are in... the possible distraction argument is obvious.

I get what the always classy diags is saying here and do not intend to take his comments out of his intended context. So, the following is intended to comment only on what is said in bold in the quote as a surface level statement and take it under the surface a bit to make my point about this fans' perspective in regards to the OP topic (potential distractions to the team).

Of course, the Seahawks are not merely Pete Carroll. There's the franchise, the current players and all associated with the team who have poured their energies into this season for a common goal, there's the fans (from those since 1976 and even those who have only started rooting for them this season.) There's much more than simply the current head coaches' short term success or the success of any other individual, for that matter, that's part of the whole. In the era of free agency, etc. - players all want to be part of a winner. Think of what it would mean for current, former players, fans... and what would it mean for the Seahawks to establish itself as a Super Bowl winning franchise. There is certainly more ultimate importance in regards to NFL success at stake - even if we grant there's the "business" side of it or even that it's really just a business looking from the inside out and not the fans' perspective.

It's somewhat subjective as to whether allowing coaches to interview undermines these goals and to what degree. But, there's certainly good reason to dislike the current NFL policies due to any such potential distraction. I suppose that the Hawks have no more disadvantage than other teams have, though.

In one sense, yeah... perhaps too much can be made of this and I'm not as bent out of shape about it as I might sound. But, in another sense, there's the weight of what the Seahawks are trying to accomplish. Those factors are every bit as real and related to the potential business aspect of the team. One's personal ambitions affect the personal ambitions of others.

Is this truly a team sport or is that just lip service? What's about all that "I'm In" business? Or, is that more "I'm in this for me?" So, there's nothing wrong with an expectation to live up to an agreed upon commitment one makes to the greater whole - no matter what NFL policies might allow. I would think that commitment to the team should be one of the most important desired character qualities that teams look for in coaching candidates. So, those coaches should be worth the wait.

By the way... I sincerely appreciate and love to read DrDiags posts. He is often a voice of reason when topics need perspective and focus.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I heard that Carroll asked his coaches to get their interviews done soon to not interfere with planning. But that said I think that many of these guys have been around and understand what is at stake. I actually wonder how much Carroll worries about the couching tree aspect versus being a teacher and that if his players and coaches progress their accomplishments are a sense of pride for him.