What has changed so darastically with our O?

W

Welshers

For the first 5 weeks we were the #1 offense in the league. What has changed so drastically with our O? Did teams figure us out? Is some kind of hidden injury going on with Russ? I keep seeing people saying that our play calling is way different then the start of the season but I'm not sure I agree. I see check downs but Russ hasn't been taking them. What I don't understand is why we went back to such a slow offense, up tempo was working. Why did our coaching staff decide to change things when we were the #1 O in the league? Well we may have slowed down to keep our D off the field some more, but I'm just not sure what has changed so drastically. I understand Carson is still hurt so maybe that's it.

But for people giving up hope, we proved how good our offense can be at the beginning of the year. Since we did it before it is not ridiculous to think we can get back to that level offensively. If we get the O back on track and the D keeps performing at this level then we have a shot in the postseason.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Russ is scared to pull the trigger. Were not using quick pass plays, we abandoned the rush that was getting 5 ypc. Out oline is decimated by injury. Dk is dropping balls. Lockett is dropping balls. Russ is late on throws etc etc etc

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
It's two things. Non-effective playcalling turning into effective offensive play calling. And a weekly emphasis on a concentrated effort for the defense/offense as a whole. Not just a specific side of the ball. You can tell this week before the game they didnt put forth the effort to play outstanding offense. They focused on defense and the defense showed up.

Hopefully they can get everyone on the same dam page for once next week.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
gowazzu02":7hhp00vq said:
Russ is scared to pull the trigger. Were not using quick pass plays, we abandoned the rush that was getting 5 ypc. Out oline is decimated by injury. Dk is dropping balls. Lockett is dropping balls. Russ is late on throws etc etc etc

Wait so russ is or isnt to blame? You said he doesnt pull the trigger...which I agree...he missed a few yesterday, but then said we dont use a quick passing concept...which is also true.

It's not russ man. Scared I doubt. Hesitant because of backlash for turnovers maybe. Overall team effort is worrying. One player can never be the only target of a loss.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What's changed is November rolled around and teams had plenty of film to watch to learn our offensive tendencies and playcalling.

What hasn't changed is said tendencies and playcalling. Russell's still trying to force the ball downfield on press cover two high safety looks not allowing it.

So what we SHOULD be doing is going to a quick tempo game.

- fly sweeps
- quick screens
- shallow routes
- quick outs
- up tempo

Barely any of this is happening. So you see what you see, which is Russell running the playclock down to zero every play, looking for the deep ball, not seeing it and scrambling or getting sacked because it's not there.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2m0plkyh said:
gowazzu02":2m0plkyh said:

Wait so russ is or isnt to blame? You said he doesnt pull the trigger...which I agree...he missed a few yesterday, but then said we dont use a quick passing concept...which is also true.

It's not russ man. Scared I doubt. Hesitant because of backlash for turnovers maybe. Overall team effort is worrying. One player can never be the only target of a loss.

He's as much to blame as everyone else.

Also, our entire offense is built around him chucking it deep, and he's now afraid to throw it deep.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2ziunfyd said:
jamescasey1124":2ziunfyd said:
gowazzu02":2ziunfyd said:

He's as much to blame as everyone else.

Also, our entire offense is built around him chucking it deep, and he's now afraid to throw it deep.

He's not afraid to throw it deep, he's not able to throw it deep. Big difference.

Teams learned from the Rams, press cover and play two high safety and force our offense to go quick. But we're not, we're staying with the same slow plodding run the play clock down to zero with Russell THINKING he can still go deep.

So if anything, he's looking and playcalling too many deep routes........when they should be doing what I said above, going up tempo and quicker routes. Because that's what these defenses are doing.

Bad coaching, bad scheming and bad Russell for not recognizing this. It's all bad.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I know the Seahawks don't gameplan for the opponent, but most teams do. Our offense is easy to defend right now. Take away the deep stuff (Cover 2) play the sidelines and leave the short middle wide open. We rarely throw slants, don't use crossing routes, etc. RW also used to be able to escape the rush which made him deadly but he cant do that as well anymore.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Ever since the Vikings game I've noticed a complete shift in defensive coverage against us to a 2 deep safety look. The better defenses are hiding their coverage pre-snap but still sticking with 2 deep, another area where Schotty is not helping by utilizing motion. Teams are conceding the short-middle because they know our route concepts are pretty limited there. Everything is looking to hit chunk plays. Those worked tremendously weeks 1-5 because CB's were losing 1 on 1 coverage routinely. The only reason the offense moved the ball against the Eagles was because DK was eating up single coverage all on his own.

Now, everything deep along the sidelines has over the top safety help, on both sides. Russ was forcing it recently so now is gun shy to take those chances. For some reason Schotty has refused to adjust and Russell is holding the ball for 4-5 seconds every play because there is absolutely nothing looking to attack the softer zones up front.

I've seen this mentioned a lot lately in podcasts/reports and think it's worth discussing. When is the last time we had a game where you said - wow, the coaches were terrific today. Really great game plan, really great adjustments. 2015?Obviously players executing is 50% of it but you look around the league and these young coaches are routinely putting their players in positions to take advantage of the defense. We've watched the same style offense get stymied for 4-6 games after clearly being found out around week 5.

John63

Reaction score
its real simple we went away form what was working weeks 1-5. the quick passing, the screens, the tempo changing(snapping at different points), etc.

I mean just look last game, we did none of this except the first drive and till the end and what happened we scored. Or look at the first drive of the game, we scored albeit a FG but still a score and how first 2 passes quick passes, then run, then a longer pass, and there you go. then right back to the same old till toward the end and then again, and we scored and then back to same old same old.

Now at times they did try the short passing game again but the problem was it was always snapped with 5 or less seconds left, which helps the defense and the routes were repetitive, nothing different, no rubs, no slants just the same out or in.

All you need to do to tell what offense we run, is look at the first 3-5 plays and when we snap them, see if there are any slants to DK or other quick hitting plays, see how much and what kind of motion there is.

The system that was working so well revolved around, tempo changing, quick hitting, motion, screens, occasional bombs but most importantly always having a check down.

We have not run this quick hitting system for a whole game since game 5.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
John63":11qopiiw said:
its real simple we went away form what was working weeks 1-5. the quick passing, the screens, the tempo changing(snapping at different points), etc.

I mean just look last game, we did none of this except the first drive and till the end and what happened we scored. Or look at the first drive of the game, we scored albeit a FG but still a score and how first 2 passes quick passes, then run, then a longer pass, and there you go. then right back to the same old till toward the end and then again, and we scored and then back to same old same old.

Now at times they did try the short passing game again but the problem was it was always snapped with 5 or less seconds left, which helps the defense and the routes were repetitive, nothing different, no rubs, no slants just the same out or in.

All you need to do to tell what offense we run, is look at the first 3-5 plays and when we snap them, see if there are any slants to DK or other quick hitting plays, see how much and what kind of motion there is.

The system that was working so well revolved around, tempo changing, quick hitting, motion, screens, occasional bombs but most importantly always having a check down.

We have not run this quick hitting system for a whole game since game 5.
Damn, I actually agree with John.

Pete hates the short quick throw game.

I mean, dude, seems to hate it with a passion.

Don’t understand why.

That’s how defeat off zone coverage.

But we’re talking about Carroll, man!

Carroll only wants his way. Run the ball and throw it down the field.

Latest posts