What has happened to Adams?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I post lots of negatives about JA (the player) but he isn't actually BAD when compared to the average NFL safety. He is actually about average.

The problem is the Seahawks using $20M+ cap/year for an average safety.

Combined with the $15M for Diggs and his average level performance, the Seahawks are wasting too much cap on average safeties.

Next year, Adams has a $26M cap hit or $20M dead cap hit. Diggs has a $21M cap hit or $10M dead cap hit. That's $47M for a pair of average safeties (instead of the $10M- most teams pay) or a $30M dead cap hit for nothing. Wasting $30-37M that could get some top-tier OL/DL really sucks. Positional value should mean something.

Roster mismanagement by PCJS does not warrant taking it out on the players through constant criticism. But we do because we're fans.
So for $30 million of dead cap which can be spread over 2 seasons
we can be rid of Adams and Diggs after the season rather than pay a
combined $47 million for both next season?

renofox

Reaction score
That's not what I said. I said they wanted him here. They just flipped out once they saw the terms. But the terms were always going to be steep.
Fair enough. If we could have got him for a 5th and $8-10M/yr I would have been on board.

renofox

Reaction score
So for $30 million of dead cap which can be spread over 2 seasons
we can be rid of Adams and Diggs after the season rather than pay a
combined $47 million for both next season?
Yes. Teams can designate up to 2 players as post-June-1st cuts and spread their dead money over 2 years.

But I think PCJS will keep them and move some money forward. When they finally end up cutting them it will probably be more like $50M in dead money.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yes. Teams can designate up to 2 players as post-June-1st cuts and spread their dead money over 2 years.

But I think PCJS will keep them and move some money forward. When they finally end up cutting them it will probably be more like $50M in dead money.
I don't want to keep them, not the versions I'm seeing.

Joshkihei

Reaction score
He's protecting his labrum tears. Extending his arms and shoulders wrapping up puts the shoulders at risk. So he just attacks and tries to knock people over.

Honestly, Adams is playing better than I thought he would be 4-5 games back. I thought he was done.
If he can’t make a tackle because he is still hurt why is he playing ?

morgulon1

Reaction score
If a player is scared of getting hurt that player should not be in the nfl
He is getting paid millions to make that tackle and is wiffing way to much
that’s what he is in the game for to sack the Qb because it’s obvious he can’t cover anyone or get an interception
There's your 12 MM worth of free agent

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Because he's still a dynamic aggressive player who fits well into the schemes the Hawk's D is playing.....even at 60-70%.
He explodes off the screen. He's moving at an entirely different gear than most everyone else. His closing speed is as rare as it gets.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
He explodes off the screen. He's moving at an entirely different gear than most everyone else. His closing speed is as rare as it gets.
Absolutely agree however, he just does not tackle. This is not what he was like when he first got here, and I agree with others that the injuries are taking a toll on him physically and mentally.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
We get it, Adams is a**

He missed a sack, called HIMSELF out for it. Like DK, not nearly the bad dude and/or player that people make him out to be. He's a hell of a football player.
Just came off a lengthy injury. He is fine. Better performance will be coming. On this note, don't expect Lucus to come back at 100% either, it all takes time and confidence injury is healed.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
And then he wiffs because he is afraid of getting hurt ? Not good
This may come as a relative surprise, but most of the plays Jamal takes aren't going to require him to tackle. Everything I said about him is a positive regardless.

Buddy is still tackling. He's got 21 in 6 games. A couple of missed tackles doesn't invalidate his other qualities as a player, and we're being obtuse if we want to pretend otherwise.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We gave up a TD right after he missed the TD watch the tape could have changed the game completely if he makes that sack
If Boye Mafe had executed/been coached on the peel technique correctly, the TD would've been prevented. Why aren't you mentioning this? You've watched the tape, yeah?

Is a missed sack really the only culprit on a play where a running back was butt ass naked open? Are we going with that now?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If Boye Mafe had executed/been coached on the peel technique correctly, the TD would've been prevented. Why aren't you mentioning this? You've watched the tape, yeah?
VERY good point. That play isn't even close to being on just Adams. The defense crapped the bed on that one, guys out of place, taking a brutal angle.