What have you learned from the Playoffs so far?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Seymour":2nlugfpn said:
Sign37now":2nlugfpn said:
Seymour":2nlugfpn said:
What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

Foles sure didn't look mediocre last night.. Dude was on his game. The Eagles play that that in two week even Tom Terrific can't help them..

True, but Matt Flynn still holds the Packers single game TD and yardage records over Rodgers, Farve, Starr...ect. ;)

Quite a few mediocre QB's have had at least one pretty good season at some point.

Including Foles himself a few years ago....27TD 2INT with almost 3000 yards.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3q89kbfp said:
It's really hard to win on the road.

It's almost impossible to win on the road vs a good team when you have a mediocre to bad QB.

Keenum looked great in Minny, but on the road vs a good D he got beat by 30.....

To be honest the Vikings offense has looked pretty meh since that loss in Carolina. 6TD 3INT in the 5 games following that loss. Their OL also had injuries toward the end of the year with not much depth. They had to shuffle the OL around a bit towards the end of the year and the OL was just average this year compared to god awful the year before.

Unless one of those 3 QBs take less money or a short deal I dont see any of the 3 coming back to the Vikings next year.

Vikings have 60 Million in cap and they arent losing much to FA other than Mckinnon, Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford and Newman who is going to be 40 years old playing CB

They may have to hand out extensions though...Hunter, Barr, Kendricks and Diggs are all FA NEXT year althoughTBH they should just let Barr and Hunter go....Keep Kendricks and Diggs

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Two things really stood out.

First, you have to win consistenly at the LOS.

Second, your team better be able to win without the starting QB playing.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I learned that Seattle isn't the only team that goes conservative waaayyyyyy too early in a game.....
I also learned that Seattle isn't the only team to abandon whatever is working and then lose a game because of it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Tinymac2":2g5d9mc6 said:
Two things really stood out.

First, you have to win consistenly at the LOS.

Second, your team better be able to win without the starting QB playing.

Line play is what stands out to me year in and year out, and a finer point, DEPTH on the DL

For one example just look at the Cowboys last year and this year and their OL play. On the flipside if you have a DL that can get pressure with front 4 it helps your D out so much.

irocdave

Reaction score
adeltaY":1a4oyztp said:
Seymour":1a4oyztp said:
What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

I see what you're saying Seymour, but I disagree to some extent. Without HFA, I doubt the Eagles win a single playoff game, and it was Wentz who played a huge role in getting them to 11-2 before he got hurt.

Keenum's limitations caught up to him in the end, although the Vikings offensive gamelan wasn't good either. Bortles had the Jags cruising, but couldn't make the plays when it came to crunch time.

I think these teams show us that we need to improve our playcalling and gameplanning to take stress off Russ. It's still good to know we can rely on him to make magic when most other QBs fold.

The Jags had great success running the ball in the first half. Did anyone else notice that when the run plays stopped working in the 2nd half, the Jags stayed with them until the end? They didn't adjust and or change the plan of attack and at the bitter end tried to rely on the pass. No mixing it up, no change of direction. Felt a lot like the Seahawks of 2016, and 2017.

My take away is that NFL coaches have huge ego's and want to do things their way, and especially Pete Carrol, if it doesn't work were going to keep doing it until it does work. And when it doesn't work again, we will try to keep doing it, until it's obvious it isnt, then we play back yard ball and let the chips fall where they may.

The Hawks could have been a player in this years playoffs, but PC needs to coach to the strengths of his team. Unfortunately, Pete Carrol had a moron dictating the offensive line and run game the past 5 years and a OC who either had no balls to call PC out for the BS or was a major part of the problem.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
That Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game and he continues to make stars of receivers who would otherwise be marginal NFL contributors.

The guy is freaking amazing. Period.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
semiahmoo":yp9ri5u1 said:
That Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game and he continues to make stars of receivers who would otherwise be marginal NFL contributors.

The guy is freaking amazing. Period.

As good as Brady is...its the system, organization, and Bilicheck.

Without that Brady is just another Peyton Manning with 2 ...maybe 3 Superbowl wins in his career. Has to be the luckiest QB alive in NFL history with the GOAT coach and feasting on a weak AFC East and a TOP HEAVY AFC where there are really only 2 other teams to compete against most years

To make it to 12 AFC Championships it cant possibly be just Brady

NJlargent

Reaction score
You need to win at the LOS and the playoff teams all appeared to be on the same page better than we were.