What I would like to see the Hawks do in FA

firebee

Reaction score
JTB":3ha0g2u2 said:
1. Make a run at a top tier TE - Thomas, Cameron, or maybe Gresham. My concern is that Thomas will get priced out by one of the rebuilding teams with massive cap space like Jax or Oakland.

2. Re-sign Carpenter - I thought he really came on in 2014 and was finally living up to his potential. Unless the money is crazy, I'd move forward with him.

3. Add another edge rusher to upgrade from Schofield. Perhaps Orapko, Derrick Morgan, or Brandon Graham provided the numbers are not crazy. If they are overpriced, maybe a Dwight Freeney on a 1 year deal.

Crazy idea is to shoot for the moon and land Justin Houston to a big deal and give the two late #1's (31 this year and 32 next year :D)

4. Add a veteran CB. Maybe one of the Williams ones, Thurmond, or Perrish Cox.

5. Add another DT for the rotation - hopefully someone relatively young to brace for Mebane possibly being gone after 2015.

1. Agree... Need a decent TE to compete with Willson and provide some reliability at the position. I favor Gresham in this situation. Julius Thomas is going to get priced out by Oakland or the Jags. Jordan Cameron is injured all the time. Hasn't been healthy an entire season since he entered the NFL. That leaves Gresham. May not put up the monster receiving numbers that Cameron and Thomas put up, but he stays healthy, he's a good run blocker and reliable as a receiver. We could also probably get him for a fraction of what Cameron or Thomas would cost.

2. Noooooo... I am so fed up with Carpenter's hit an miss play on the field, injuries, fitness, discipline, everything. He hasn't played up to the contract that he was given. He can't get to the second level when he's run blocking, he has an ungodly amount of false starts, he comes into camp out of shape and overeight. Why give him more money than he was earning on a new contract? Will Rackley or Stefen Wisniewski please.

3. Don't need to sign another edge rusher. Irvin, Avril, Bennett and Marsh. Marsh is going to be a beast. Maker my words. That kid can play and he'll make a huge impact as long as he can stay healthy.

4. I'm liking Cary Williams opposite of Sherman. That would be a great sign at the right price. All those Philly DBs are vastly underrated. They can ball. I stay away from the injury plagued cb that is named Thurmond. That kid can't stay healthy to save his life. We need stability at #2. We can take risks with injuries at #3 and #4, but our #2 needs to be solid physically.

5. Agreed on bringing in a DT that can provide some depth and possibly replace Mebane in the future. I'm really liking Stephen Paea. Dude's a freak of nature.

6. Sign Torrey Smith or Cecil Shorts... Everyone keeps talking about Andre Johnson or Reggie Wayne on a 1 year deal. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather see us sign Smith or Shorts for half the price and have a receiver that Wilson can develop a relationship with and make a major impact over the next 4-5 years vs. a big name in the twilight of their career that might have an impact on the team next year.

That's it for free agency. Draft.. Then pick up some roster fodder after the draft to create some competition and maybe shake out a gem or two by the end of preseason.

firebee

Reaction score
seachickenfan1":1s8srxxd said:
Give Carp his walking paperspapers, unreliable outta shape, and make a run @ Stefen Wisniewski G/C, he can fill the RG position, then fill in for Unger @ center if he gets injured.
Sounds like Thomas is headed to Jax, so go Jordan Cameron on an insentive deal (w/ concussion issues).
Stephen Paea would be a good fit if the money is right, maybe Vince Wilfork in a rotation role?

As for the draft depending on what we do in the FA market (don't expecct much) these are some prospects I like @ 31 if still avail.
Maxx Williams TE
Dorail Green Becham WR
jalen Strong WR
O. Odighizuwa DE
Jordan Phillips DT
Michael Bennett DT
Marcus Peters CB
jalen Collins CB
Ronald Darby CB

Agree on Carp... Dude needs to go. He's been the focus point of instability on our O-Line.

I like Ty Montgomery out of Stanford. Prototype size for a WR, crazy skills after the catch, amazing vision on returns and he adjusts to the ball extremely well downfield on the deep routes. His only downfall has been credited to his hands in cold weather games, a problem that may be corrected if he practices in Seattle vs. The Bay area.

two dog

Reaction score
Tight end-Virgil Green-Make an offer that will lure him out of Denver. (13 teams rumored in contact)

Rush End-Jabaal Sheared-unrealized potential

CB-Tramon Williams-reliable, and healthy, veteran

DT and guard I'll leave to Jon

kobebryant

Reaction score
kobebryant":uha37dlt said:
Trade for and re-do Andre Johnson; or get him if he is released.

Sign Jordan Cameron.

See if Jax will take a conditional pick for Justin Blackmon.

Sign 2 of C Williams, T Williams, Cox, W Blackmon, Thurmond (none of which should have to be long-term or huge money)

See if Wilfork wants to come in and play the Kevin Williams role.

The Hawks do get a bit older but none of it is long-term.

Alright, there's one. Let's keep rolling.

seachickenfan1

Reaction score
firebee":5a6lwzm9 said:
seachickenfan1":5a6lwzm9 said:
Give Carp his walking paperspapers, unreliable outta shape, and make a run @ Stefen Wisniewski G/C, he can fill the RG position, then fill in for Unger @ center if he gets injured.
Sounds like Thomas is headed to Jax, so go Jordan Cameron on an insentive deal (w/ concussion issues).
Stephen Paea would be a good fit if the money is right, maybe Vince Wilfork in a rotation role?

As for the draft depending on what we do in the FA market (don't expecct much) these are some prospects I like @ 31 if still avail.
Maxx Williams TE
Dorail Green Becham WR
jalen Strong WR
O. Odighizuwa DE
Jordan Phillips DT
Michael Bennett DT
Marcus Peters CB
jalen Collins CB
Ronald Darby CB

Agree on Carp... Dude needs to go. He's been the focus point of instability on our O-Line.

I like Ty Montgomery out of Stanford. Prototype size for a WR, crazy skills after the catch, amazing vision on returns and he adjusts to the ball extremely well downfield on the deep routes. His only downfall has been credited to his hands in cold weather games, a problem that may be corrected if he practices in Seattle vs. The Bay area.

I agree on Montgomery, depending on where he goes in the draft? With us possibly having 3 picks @ the bottom of the 4th rd, if still there I could see us grabbing him there, if for nothing else for his return skills, he could be a stud returner, as well a solid #3 or 4 WR. Still hope we take a stud WR in the first 3 rds, not gonna drop names seeing how the posistion seems deep in the draft & who honestly knows what one pete/john will drool over? I will say Jaelen Strong & DGB have the go up and get it we lack so badly, with Russell's ball skills the Hawks could be scary good! Just imagine being able to through a fade to the back pile on, and not a f#@!ing slant pass @ the 1 f#@!ing yard line!

FormerEvil

Reaction score
FormerEvil":8k6o6yz4 said:
T. Williams
S. Paea
W. Thurmond (prove it deal)
J. Cameron (on a less expensive deal - 6/7 mil would be nice)
extend Russ and Wagner
Maybe K. Britt (?)
Draft Bud Dupree

If they could get 90% of that done, I'd be over the moon.

**Looks like Paea gone to the Racists in DC. --
**Thurmond still available. Still wouldn't mind a 1 yr prove it deal for him to compete with Williams or be our Nickel ++
**Jordan Cameron still available and probably coming to Hawks ++
**Kenny Britt still available and I'm thinking more and more he'll be a Hawk. Just have to wait for the market to make it's way to him. Meaning after AJ signs elsewhere, I think we go after him. ++
**And we'll still see the extensions of Russ and Bobby.

Now draft a slew of WRs, OLs and DL/Ts with some late round corners and we should be alright.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
I have seen Britt mentioned before and I believe Softy Mahler tweeted something about wanting him too. I would not touch him.

1. He's an idiot. Tons of off the field drama (arrests, sex videos, etc)
2. He drops a ton of passes. That's what got him run out of Tennessee. In 2013, he played so bad they had to start de-activating him.

His size and speed are perfect but he's a tease.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
With all the free-agency frenzy going on, anyone else a little disappointed thus far? All kinds of teams making noise and additions, and all the Hawks have done is bring in a couple corners who have been tagged as "solid" at best.

I assumed that with the Hawks recent success that FA's would want to come here. So far we haven't heard much other than the small rumors of Andre Johnson/Suh/etc.

marko358

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2w2hgkjw said:
With all the free-agency frenzy going on, anyone else a little disappointed thus far? All kinds of teams making noise and additions, and all the Hawks have done is bring in a couple corners who have been tagged as "solid" at best.

I assumed that with the Hawks recent success that FA's would want to come here. So far we haven't heard much other than the small rumors of Andre Johnson/Suh/etc.

Yeah I thought we'd get some guys looking to get a ring like Andre Johnson especially since we have no state income tax.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
marko358":3cpsvkiz said:
Hawk-Lock":3cpsvkiz said:

Yeah I thought we'd get some guys looking to get a ring like Andre Johnson especially since we have no state income tax.
That one does hurt because we really need to upgrade the offense and Cameron Jordon is such a high risk. Maybe go all in on the OL and stand pat is the answer?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
marko358":2yi5pqyz said:
Hawk-Lock":2yi5pqyz said:

Players do care about rings, and state income tax............but that's after things like stats and guaranteed money.

It'd be hard for someone like Johnson to pass up being able to play with Luck on a good team and catching 75-100 balls and 10 TD's to come here, make a little less and catch 40-50 balls and 5-6 TD's.

As long as our offensive identity is what it is, it's never going to be easy to attract a top FA wide receiver. Cause no WR is going to say "yeah I'd rather block 50% of the time and catch 40 balls."

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":i280d9kh said:
marko358":i280d9kh said:
Hawk-Lock":i280d9kh said:

Players do care about rings, and state income tax............but that's after things like stats and guaranteed money.

It'd be hard for someone like Johnson to pass up being able to play with Luck on a good team and catching 75-100 balls and 10 TD's to come here, make a little less and catch 40-50 balls and 5-6 TD's.

As long as our offensive identity is what it is, it's never going to be easy to attract a top FA wide receiver. Cause no WR is going to say "yeah I'd rather block 50% of the time and catch 40 balls."
I'm not sure why you would say he'd get as little as 40 catches. Baldwin lead the team in receptions this year with 66 and Tate did the year before with 64...we don't throw the ball that little.

Plus he's coming from an offense that only threw the ball 41 times than the Hawks did last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2mp1p37h said:
Sgt. Largent":2mp1p37h said:
marko358":2mp1p37h said:
Hawk-Lock":2mp1p37h said:

I'm not sure why you would say he'd get as little as 40 catches. Baldwin lead the team in receptions this year with 66 and Tate did the year before with 64...we don't throw the ball that little.

Plus he's coming from an offense that only threw the ball 41 times than the Hawks did last year.

Maybe it'd be more, but certainly nowhere near the targets of an offense like Indy.

Bottom line, if there's any position group that cares about their stats, it's WR's.

firebee

Reaction score
firebee":39edacmd said:
1. Agree... Need a decent TE to compete with Willson and provide some reliability at the position. I favor Gresham in this situation. Julius Thomas is going to get priced out by Oakland or the Jags. Jordan Cameron is injured all the time. Hasn't been healthy an entire season since he entered the NFL. That leaves Gresham. May not put up the monster receiving numbers that Cameron and Thomas put up, but he stays healthy, he's a good run blocker and reliable as a receiver. We could also probably get him for a fraction of what Cameron or Thomas would cost.

2. Noooooo... I am so fed up with Carpenter's hit an miss play on the field, injuries, fitness, discipline, everything. He hasn't played up to the contract that he was given. He can't get to the second level when he's run blocking, he has an ungodly amount of false starts, he comes into camp out of shape and overeight. Why give him more money than he was earning on a new contract? Will Rackley or Stefen Wisniewski please.

3. Don't need to sign another edge rusher. Irvin, Avril, Bennett and Marsh. Marsh is going to be a beast. Maker my words. That kid can play and he'll make a huge impact as long as he can stay healthy.

4. I'm liking Cary Williams opposite of Sherman. That would be a great sign at the right price. All those Philly DBs are vastly underrated. They can ball. I stay away from the injury plagued cb that is named Thurmond. That kid can't stay healthy to save his life. We need stability at #2. We can take risks with injuries at #3 and #4, but our #2 needs to be solid physically.

5. Agreed on bringing in a DT that can provide some depth and possibly replace Mebane in the future. I'm really liking Stephen Paea. Dude's a freak of nature.

6. Sign Torrey Smith or Cecil Shorts... Everyone keeps talking about Andre Johnson or Reggie Wayne on a 1 year deal. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather see us sign Smith or Shorts for half the price and have a receiver that Wilson can develop a relationship with and make a major impact over the next 4-5 years vs. a big name in the twilight of their career that might have an impact on the team next year.

That's it for free agency. Draft.. Then pick up some roster fodder after the draft to create some competition and maybe shake out a gem or two by the end of preseason.

1. Check - Jimmy Graham baby!!!
2. Check - Carp to the Jets - Unger traded - Bring on Wisniewski... He can press the issue at Center and Guard.
3. No big splash in this department yet - keep it that way.
4. Check - Cary Williams is a Seahawk.
5. remains to be seen
6. remains to be seen