What in the holy hell happened?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I am sitting on the plane, 34,000 feet in the air, wondering how the hell we lost to a crappy Rams team? The game felt in hand the whole time until the very end.

Stadium is nice. Not 5 billion nice but nice. Rams fans were super chill and cool. Even they were surprised they won.

Our seats were nose bleeds. They looked like ants. So tell me. What the hell happened?!?!

Way too many unnecessary penalties

Geno/Walker injuries

But what really caused the loss IMHO was Waldron deciding to stick with deep passes in short yardage situations with Lock in there. Running plays and short passes have a higher success rate and Lock hasn’t had enough recent reps with the number ones to be ready for those plays. We needed to adjust the offense. We had a lead and we needed to burn clock with easy first downs and moving the ball. We didn’t need to make big plays down field.

Usually I’d say the best team won but this game I have to pin on Waldron, which is a shame because I thought he was calling a good game early. He is a good play designer but he needs to learn to adjust to the situation. He didn’t do that this game and it cost us dearly.

The last thing I’ll add is if they don’t make that horrible PI call in the end zone they don’t likely get that TD there.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Geno and Shane once again can’t go for the kill. After the big strike to DK the rams were on the ropes.

Instead of going for the kill we meddle around with back to back runs, one of which was an incredibly stupid toss to Charb.

We cannot finish teams when given the opportunity.

Like mortal kombat rip out their spine kind of finish.

Deadgamer

Reaction score
So I am not a super X's and O's guy but I did some looking at stats because this abomination was the first game of the season I have been able to watch out here in the middle of nowhere Montana. I have seen all the posts calling for the OC's head or the DC's head or Pete's head yada yada. My question is who is responsible for the undisciplined play this year? The excessive penalties? 51 penalties on offense 37 on defense 5 on special teams total of 93 penalties so far this year for 639 lost yards, that 63.9 yards per game, at this rate we will finish with 1086.3 yards in penalties. For comparison the last 3 years. Why do we look like a high school pickup game?

22 884 penalty yards 52 per game
21 803 penalty yards 47.2 per game
20 722 penalty yards 42.5 per game

nanomoz

Reaction score
I am sitting on the plane, 34,000 feet in the air, wondering how the hell we lost to a crappy Rams team? The game felt in hand the whole time until the very end.

Stadium is nice. Not 5 billion nice but nice. Rams fans were super chill and cool. Even they were surprised they won.

Our seats were nose bleeds. They looked like ants. So tell me. What the hell happened?!?!
Honest answer: Look at the Hawks schedule thus far. Outside of the Lions, they've barely beaten awful and/or incredibly banged-up teams. Not to mention that the Browns really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

And Geno's turnover worthy play % was always going to catch up with him. I think we'll see more on this front. More than one win over the next four will surprise me. But go Hawks.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
There has been no Seahawks team in the last decade (plus) that you could count on to beat/sweep the Rams each season no matter what the stats said on paper, why would this season be any different?

BASF

Reaction score
Honest answer: Look at the Hawks schedule thus far. Outside of the Lions, they've barely beaten awful and/or incredibly banged-up teams. Not to mention that the Browns really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

And Geno's turnover worthy play % was always going to catch up with him. I think we'll see more on this front. More than one win over the next four will surprise me. But go Hawks.
Geno had no turnovers in this game. He had no turnovers in the previous game. Not sure of your point here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how people just ignore what literally just happened last season. Narrative must fit. Swept them last season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Geno had no turnovers in this game. He had no turnovers in the previous game. Not sure of your point here.
Well, he had 8 in the previous 4 games so that's probably his point. He also had several dropped picks so it could have easily been 10-12 turnovers in 4 games. Unacceptable.
Nice to see that he is turnover free for back to back games. Then again, that's what we should expect. We should also expect our QB's to not go almost 3 quarters w/out a 3rd down conversion.

Great starts are fine, but the offense did little to nothing after getting the lead.

WarHawks

Reaction score
At this point, I think it would be better long term if they don't win another game this season. Maybe then there would be some changes at the top, and we'd finally draft a legit qbotf. Flame me all you want, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and... oh never mind. Deaf ears.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So I am not a super X's and O's guy but I did some looking at stats because this abomination was the first game of the season I have been able to watch out here in the middle of nowhere Montana. I have seen all the posts calling for the OC's head or the DC's head or Pete's head yada yada. My question is who is responsible for the undisciplined play this year? The excessive penalties? 51 penalties on offense 37 on defense 5 on special teams total of 93 penalties so far this year for 639 lost yards, that 63.9 yards per game, at this rate we will finish with 1086.3 yards in penalties. For comparison the last 3 years. Why do we look like a high school pickup game?

22 884 penalty yards 52 per game
21 803 penalty yards 47.2 per game
20 722 penalty yards 42.5 per game
This is the ONE area of contention that I have with Pete, he wants his players to play with abandon, and I get that, but he has to tighten the screws on some of the over the top aggressions.
There is little doubt that the League Officials have been instructed to come down a little harder on the teams that play loose with the rules, and I'm betting that the Seahawks are somewhere near the top of that list, HOWEVER, I think that the Refs are SOMETIMES going a little overboard & making game changing Bad Calls/No Calls.
Bottom Line though, Pete needs to dial shit down a bunch.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's on pace for 8 fewer TDs and 3-4 more picks that last year. And that's with a couple of would-have-been-pick-sixes being dropped in the past 4 or 5 games.

My point is that there are indications that all the turnover-worthy plays are starting to catch up with him. And we've played one of the 2 or 3 easiest schedules so far this year.

I don't see how you can project it to get anything other than worse, given the remaining schedule.

Optimus25

Reaction score
At this point, I think it would be better long term if they don't win another game this season. Maybe then there would be some changes at the top, and we'd finally draft a legit qbotf. Flame me all you want, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and... oh never mind. Deaf ears.
This isn’t a bad thought. Our success has been our downfall unfortunately for a long time. Pete can get us in the ring for the post season but we just can’t put it together to do anything with the opportunity anymore.

The niners are only good because of their pathetic years which gave them the chance to grab the premium picks and clear cap space out the azz.

I guess the average person would just rather have winning seasons and a playoff appearance versus blowing everything up with the chance of complete and utter mediocrity again always looming in that circumstance. Granted that is the only way we get Super Bowl competitive again unless PC and JS have complete killer drafts near term, which meh I’m not thinking is likely. But hey, at least you’re not the giants or panthers and just gross and rudderless!

I see both arguments and i think the complete blowup has passed us by and now we’re hitched to this wagon for at least 2 more years no matter what.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Ravens were in the same exact hell, and yet they're good again.

The glass ceiling isn't really a ceiling. It's an imagined barrier. Just like the bad drafts of the mid 2010s that people thought would last forever.

All it takes is one run, man. 10 and 11 win teams have won it all a bunch of times. These barriers are imagined.

In 2019, they came very, very close to the NFCCG. The drought isn't as large as it is perceived. I'll never root for an absolute collapse, because no, it isn't a good thing. Losing begets losing, and tanking doesn't work.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The Ravens were in the same exact hell, and yet they're good again.

The glass ceiling isn't really a ceiling. It's an imagined barrier. Just like the bad drafts of the mid 2010s that people thought would last forever.

All it takes is one run, man. 10 and 11 win teams have won it all a bunch of times. These barriers are imagined.

In 2019, they came very, very close to the NFCCG. The drought isn't as large as it is perceived. I'll never root for an absolute collapse, because no, it isn't a good thing. Losing begets losing, and tanking doesn't work.
I would agree, if our qb was capable of making a run. But a guy who throws 1-2 td's a game and goes 3/4 of a game without converting a 3rd down inspires zero confidence of that happening. I appreciate your optimism, but I don't share it. Sorry, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Xxx

Reaction score
Well, he had 8 in the previous 4 games so that's probably his point. He also had several dropped picks so it could have easily been 10-12 turnovers in 4 games. Unacceptable.
Nice to see that he is turnover free for back to back games. Then again, that's what we should expect. We should also expect our QB's to not go almost 3 quarters w/out a 3rd down conversion.

Great starts are fine, but the offense did little to nothing after getting the lead.
There you go with expectations again…. You’re only setting yourself up for disappointment ;)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I would agree, if our qb was capable of making a run. But a guy who throws 1-2 td's a game and goes 3/4 of a game without converting a 3rd down inspires zero confidence of that happening. I appreciate your optimism, but I don't share it. Sorry, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
I'm not saying the run will happen this year, to be fair. I'm just saying that I think it'd be crazy to want to have the team lose every game from here on, and take all of the negative implications that come with that being the reality.

There are so, so, so many examples around us of this same type of team causing damage when it comes time.

I won't dissuade you from your viewpoint. But it's far from unprecedented that teams like ours still have a fighting chance, this year and years to come.

Xxx

Reaction score
I'm not saying the run will happen this year, to be fair. I'm just saying that I think it'd be crazy to want to have the team lose every game from here on, and take all of the negative implications that come with that being the reality.

There are so, so, so many examples around us of this same type of team causing damage when it comes time.

I won't dissuade you from your viewpoint. But it's far from unprecedented that teams like ours still have a fighting chance, this year and years to come.
Well I mean if we do lose them all maybe we get a qb.