What is Frank Clark’s price?

Seymour

Reaction score
PPF just said that the Seahawks ranked 26th in pass rush in 2018. That goes well beyond sacks and includes consistent pressures on passing downs. That is WITH a $900K Clark.
Paying Clark $18+M is going to make that even worse because it hampers our ability to pickup FA guys that may help.
We are going to spend all our $ trying to keep what we have (sound familiar?). I suspect we will take a small step back next season, especially if we can't sign Fluker, Sweezy, Kendricks....ect. Every one of those guys will also cost us more $$. :|

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Which leads to my concern.

Dallas tagged Lawrence last year. They couldn’t get a deal done, so his second tag has an inflated rate of 20Mil. So, would Lawrence sign a multi year contract in the 16-18Mil/year range or sign the 1 yr tag of 20Mil?

And who ever signs first, Lawrence, Clowney... will set the new annual salary which could balloon over the projected 16-18Mil range.

We all know Wilson will eat a lot of the salary cap. To throw a couple huge contracts to Reed, Wagner and Clark will take a lot of the teams cap dollars. I would hate to see Clark and/or Reed go because they are very good players, good leaders and they deserve what they can get...but the money...can JS make it work?

Seymour

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1u30yzc3 said:

Dallas tagged Lawrence last year. They couldn’t get a deal done, so his second tag has an inflated rate of 20Mil. So, would Lawrence sign a multi year contract in the 16-18Mil/year range or sign the 1 yr tag of 20Mil?

And who ever signs first, Lawrence, Clowney... will set the new annual salary which could balloon over the projected 16-18Mil range.

We all know Wilson will eat a lot of the salary cap. To throw a couple huge contracts to Reed, Wagner and Clark will take a lot of the teams cap dollars. I would hate to see Clark and/or Reed go because they are very good players, good leaders and they deserve what they can get...but the money...can JS make it work?

If by work you mean can we compete for another SB....then I say no, I don't believe we can. We bought the highest paid oline in the NFL and picked up Avril and Bennett with the money we saved on rookie deals on Sherman, Wagner, Wilson, Baldwin, and Kam when we did win it all in 2013 season. Those draft days are long gone, made worse by trading away picks for deals like Richardson and even Brown when we failed to draft well at those positions.

knownone

Reaction score
Seymour":edljjes9 said:
truehawksfan":edljjes9 said:

If by work you mean can we compete for another SB....then I say no, I don't believe we can. We bought the highest paid oline in the NFL and picked up Avril and Bennett with the money we saved on rookie deals on Sherman, Wagner, Wilson, Baldwin, and Kam when we did win it all in 2013 season. Those draft days are long gone, made worse by trading away picks for deals like Richardson and even Brown when we failed to draft well at those positions.
Why are those draft days long gone? It's entirely possible we hit on 2 stars in this draft, and Rasheem Green or some of the other guys turn into studs.

Jville

Reaction score
truehawksfan":19vspswh said:

Good points. A preference for the use of a rotating defensive line roster trips me up. I can't quite correlate how a couple of very expensive contracts fits into an affordable rotating line. Unless, they move away from a rotation. By the way, Clark's current $17,128,000 franchised number represents 9.1% of the cap.

Reed's rapidly improving performance in 2018 was also special. In fact, Reed actually logged more defensive snaps and special teams snaps in 2018 than Clark. John Schneider is presented with a real challenge in making the numbers fit together. Better him than me. It should be an instructive year.

Seymour

Reaction score
knownone":1xr5ad2m said:
Seymour":1xr5ad2m said:
truehawksfan":1xr5ad2m said:

Why are those draft days long gone? It's entirely possible we hit on 2 stars in this draft, and Rasheem Green or some of the other guys turn into studs.

Not saying I expect that again but 5 all pros in 2 years to be more specific. That launched us to top 5 status pretty darn quick. Now you got cash to spend. We've landed some solid players, but not many all pros since.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
While I agree Clark and Clowney played similar roles, their position, defined as DE and OLB is the difference in tag money. But, as you pointed out, the number of snaps inline and in space will cause a little heartburn.

Jimmy Graham had the same problem back in his NO days. The difference in tag and annual salary between a WR and TE was different. But Graham’s argument, he lined up/took a lot of snaps in the slot and wideout, caused a lot of headaches/heartburn too.

For Clowney, saying he’s an OLB is huge because he, and Dee Ford, will use Khalil Mack and his 23Mil/year salary as leverage. Not sure, what the highest paid DE is, but I hope it’s not Mack money.

Jville

Reaction score
Well, this is interesting ............................................................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1104179222669488128[/tweet]

knownone

Reaction score
Jville":2kknv2xi said:
Well, this is interesting ............................................................

This has been my fear all along. I hope there is nothing to this, but I don't believe Frank is worth more than 17m/year, and Pete and John have never been shy about moving on from players whose market value exceeds what they think the player is worth.

If a team offers Seattle anywhere close to what the Raiders got for Mack... don't be surprised if Frank isn't a Seahawk next year.

Jville

Reaction score
Here is another identified interested team ...........................
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/1104186316097490944[/tweet]
.......................................... I prefer to just think of this as a due diligence exercise.

massari

Reaction score
If they can't work out a deal before the start of the season, they pretty much have to trade him/let him sign elsewhere for two 1st rd picks considering they'll likely need the franchise tag for Wilson next off-season. Wagner and Reed are FA's too.

If Clark and his agent indeed do want $20M+, that'd mean Clark and Wilson would take up around 25-30% of cap room for multiple years after Wilson's new deal (30-35M). Seems pretty insane.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Oh-oh. The Hawks have to believe Clark is worth 17Mil/year, otherwise why tag him knowing that has to be the starting point? My concern is his agent who’s saying out loud Clark is an elite edge rusher and will get elite $$$.

The team has identified and signed their own so how will this impact the locker room if he’s traded? You know, the one he said is his now that Sherm in no longer around?

knownone

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1h3td4gp said:
Oh-oh. The Hawks have to believe Clark is worth 17Mil/year, otherwise why tag him knowing that has to be the starting point? My concern is his agent who’s saying out loud Clark is an elite edge rusher and will get elite $$$.

The team has identified and signed their own so how will this impact the locker room if he’s traded? You know, the one he said is his now that Sherm in no longer around?
Well, if they didn’t tag him he’d be an unrestricted free agent, and they’d get nothing for him if he signed with another team.

A-Dog

Reaction score
knownone":2auk7gzh said:
Jville":2auk7gzh said:

This has been my fear all along. I hope there is nothing to this, but I don't believe Frank is worth more than 17m/year, and Pete and John have never been shy about moving on from players whose market value exceeds what they think the player is worth.

If a team offers Seattle anywhere close to what the Raiders got for Mack... don't be surprised if Frank isn't a Seahawk next year.
If the Giants offer that #9 pick, I'm interested

Use the money to sign Trey Flowers

>>> upgrade

jammerhawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":mwrj3m12 said:

$17.128 million/year is elite. He and the team are probably at loggerheads over the guaranteed $ which is where the team got burned with Chancellor. For any team this a balancing act and some contracts just can't be accommodated w/o loss elsewhere on the roster. I can see his worth as being in the $17.5 - 19.5 range with a significant amount guaranteed.

No player is ever bigger than the team and if he is traded there are quite a few quality guys on the roster who will step forward and assume the mantle of leadership.

If they are truly at an impasse then trading the player for the right package might be the smart move even if it strips them of demonstrated pass rushers. Others have pointed out the guaranteed $ Clark's agent expects and various trade compensation packages. To me I'd doubt Buff. would trade their 9th for Clark but a scenario that got them an early pick or another 1st plus other pick compensation this year and next might solve the cap crunch created by the FO with other failed big transactions. It also puts them in a better position to deal with other deals that are upcoming. It is wise to remember that being a 1st round pick is zero guarantee of success in the NFL, we have/had a few of those types on the team present. so you trade away a known quantity for the chance of success with the drafted player.

At this stage of the silly season the supposed Buffalo interest might just be media musings created by some orchestration by the FO.

Jville

Reaction score
The drop dead date for signing the tag is July 15th. So, I'm not feeling any immediate urgency.

But it is getting more and more interesting by the hour ..................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Chiefs/status/1104840246930407427[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1104841021592989696[/tweet]

Chawker

Reaction score
I was watching NFL Free agent frenzy on youtube live and it was reported that if Frank Clark doesn't get his deal he will not sign the franchise tag sitting out until next year. This leaves me wondering which half of the moon he is asking for?
Cheers