What Is It Going To Take For Russ To Win MVP?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Over the past several years QBs have been winning the MVP. The last non-QB to win I believe was Adrian Peterson in 2012. Not just speaking as a diehard Seahawks fan but as an NFL fan I am astounded Russell Wilson has not only never won MVP but never had a SINGLE VOTE cast for him!

Say wha??

Last year he was the front runner for MVP for the first half of the season but we all know how that ended. Lamar Jackson went on a freakish video game-like tear that anyone would be hard pressed to argue. Stats are stats. No I am not proud to admit I was hoping more than a few times Lamar would come down with a nasty stomach bug the day of a game. But Russ himself would be the first to admit his stats dropped off towards the end of the season and the deserving player won.

So moving forward, what does Russ need to do to win the MVP? We are a run-first philosophy offense. Russ' passing attempts is almost always in the low to mid 20's per game. TDs and yards are a big part of the equation as is efficiency. What I struggle with is the paradigm of Most Valuable Player. Well, what does that mean? To me, it means a player who is absolutely essential to their team in order to win and win consistently. Without that player the team would be rudderless.

Again, as an NFL fan, I am hard pressed to think of a player that has deserved the award more than once in his career other than Russell Wilson. Am I out in left field on this? Let me know your thoughts.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The MVP race is always about the Season's narrative.

For Russ to win the Seahawks would need the following to happen.

Start out 0-2 or 2-2 with Russ missing time.

Then they have to win 13 or more games. Russ needs to be in the top 5 of TD passes and yards, along with bottom 5 in interceptions.

Needs to have a huge game on national TV in November, once the national media is singing his MVP praises the team can't blow easy games in December.

If all that falls into place he will win it.

The last time this almost happened was 2016. Seahawks were expected to miss the playoffs then started the year 7-2-1 with a big win on the road in New England in mid-November. The Wilson MVP train was fully loaded for the MVP journy. The team ended up going 3-3 down the stretch, Wilson also had horrible games on the road in Tampa Bay and Green Bay in November and December.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":qu4xy5zk said:
Over the past several years QBs have been winning the MVP. The last non-QB to win I believe was Adrian Peterson in 2012. Not just speaking as a diehard Seahawks fan but as an NFL fan I am astounded Russell Wilson has not only never won MVP but never had a SINGLE VOTE cast for him!

Say wha??

Last year he was the front runner for MVP for the first half of the season but we all know how that ended. Lamar Jackson went on a freakish video game-like tear that anyone would be hard pressed to argue. Stats are stats. No I am not proud to admit I was hoping more than a few times Lamar would come down with a nasty stomach bug the day of a game. But Russ himself would be the first to admit his stats dropped off towards the end of the season and the deserving player won.

So moving forward, what does Russ need to do to win the MVP? We are a run-first philosophy offense. Russ' passing attempts is almost always in the low to mid 20's per game. TDs and yards are a big part of the equation as is efficiency. What I struggle with is the paradigm of Most Valuable Player. Well, what does that mean? To me, it means a player who is absolutely essential to their team in order to win and win consistently. Without that player the team would be rudderless.

Again, as an NFL fan, I am hard pressed to think of a player that has deserved the award more than once in his career other than Russell Wilson. Am I out in left field on this? Let me know your thoughts.

Needs to be in a Market that gets more love, Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, or just any East Coast City really,

He also keeps a low profile pretty much and isn't in the Media Spotlight with outrageous game numbers week to week, he is consistently consistent and low profile. He cumulates great numbers from start to finish and everyone looks and goes wholly crap look what he did.

Every NFL DC hates him as a player because he finds a way to do things that shouldn't be possible, the media wants Glamorous numbers and blow outs.

If Wilson was a Car he would be a

Tesla Roadster 2020 , not loud ,yes a bit of flash but efficient and fast.

What Media wants to see.

Ger fast furious the fast and the furious 4 HR1P0W

Loud attention drawing and inefficient still fast, but not as fast.

sutz

Reaction score
Super Bowl wouldn't matter. MVP voting is over before then.

I blame Fantasy Football. Modern fans vote on individual stats, not actual talent and outcomes. Because of the team philosophy, Russ's numbers are always pretty good but not league leading. The fact that he wins so many games that wouldn't be won by a lesser QB doesn't seem to matter much. Fans want gaudy stats, not steady performance.

Life's not fair.

rcaido

Reaction score
Undefeated regular season would probably be the guarantee for him to get MVP votes.

Selfish Russ caring for his stats and go for more TDs which i cant see him doing.

Rat

Reaction score
Better luck. Somebody seems to put together an insane statistical season whenever he’s at his best.

I really had no issue with Lamar winning last year; it’s consistent with how MVP is always awarded, and he would have been my vote too, but damn, would have been nice to at least get a vote or two.

xray

Reaction score
What would help him is to show more raw emotion . He's just really boring to the world outside of Seattle . What would help him would be...after he takes a sack that was dirty...Wilson jumps up and grabs the defenders lapels and screams an obscenity in the guys face . I would love to see that . Too much to hope for .

IndyHawk

Reaction score
There was one year he should have won..So he got screwed.
Win another SB those are better than season MVP.
SB MVP would be nice too.

Rat

Reaction score
xray":1pw9s7ms said:
What would help him is to show more raw emotion . He's just really boring to the world outside of Seattle . What would help him would be...after he takes a sack that was dirty...Wilson jumps up and grabs the defenders lapels and screams an obscenity in the guys face . I would love to see that . Too much to hope for .

I don't know how much I agree with this. In the past four years, we've seen Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, and Matt Ryan all win MVPs, and I wouldn't say any of them show exceptional emotion. Hell, Matt Ryan's personality is as exciting and dynamic as a stale potato chip. He has been in the league 13 years, and I can't even remember what his voice sounds like.

Russ is kind of a cornball, but in a time where people are getting increasingly sick of divas, I don't think his personality is seen as a negative at all, and I certainly don't think he is seen as boring. Announcers can't stop raving about him, and he is universally regarded as one of the most exciting players in the league to watch. The perception of him is overwhelmingly positive.

I really wish the NFL did ranked MVP voting like you see in other sports. It would be nice to see where Russ sits in the minds of the voters.

notyou

Reaction score
10,000 yards passing
2,000 yards rushing
80 TD's
0 INT's
150+ passer rating
going 19-0 winning the SB

Then, maybe he'll get it.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
notyou":i2xc0d0w said:
10,000 yards passing
2,000 yards rushing
80 TD's
0 INT's
150+ passer rating
going 19-0 winning the SB

Then, maybe he'll get it.

Probably not.

themunn

Reaction score
If we had won the Ravens game last year, and beaten the Niners in the final game of the season earning the 1 seed, I think he'd have won despite inferior stats (which were still great).

Elemas

Reaction score
It was mentioned but the one thing that Russ has that others don't (at least at this point) is the efficiency and consistency. He was recently ranked as the 3rd best QB in a CBS poll (take that with a grain of salt).

There aren't too many other QBs that could fit in Seattles system. Example....imagine Russ in KCs system. He still shines in an offense that, in my opinion, doesn't fully capitalize on his talents.

Year after year, he proves he's one of the best. With the game on the line, I'd take him above all others including Rodgers. If you look at it from that perspective, who's better? Lamar or Mahomes? I'd argue against that all day because the results speak for themselves. Mahomes has definitely crept up in this area but Wilson has the edge for sure.

He definitely has the best deep ball.

$$$ aside, there's no other QB I'd take over Wilson. Not receiving at least one MVP vote is simply mindblowing.

sutz

Reaction score
I can understand the not winning part. The system is stacked against him in some ways.

But yeah, not getting any votes at all is really screwed up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why called it the MVP if it's not for the MOST VALUABLE player to his team. He has clearly been that for years. To not even get a vote says it all. And, like someone mentioned, location seems to matter. Even though it shouldn't, if he was playing in a bigger market like LA or NY, he likely wins one, or at least gets some votes.
And how many of these voters for the MVP still are not wanting to vote for him because they can't accept how wrong they were? Look how many years it took to even get the national guys to get on board. They flat out talk about how long it has taken.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":4orsw9st said:
Why called it the MVP if it's not for the MOST VALUABLE player to his team. He has clearly been that for years. To not even get a vote says it all. And, like someone mentioned, location seems to matter. Even though it shouldn't, if he was playing in a bigger market like LA or NY, he likely wins one, or at least gets some votes.
And how many of these voters for the MVP still are not wanting to vote for him because they can't accept how wrong they were? Look how many years it took to even get the national guys to get on board. They flat out talk about how long it has taken.

The last MVP from the NY or LA market was in 1985. Seattle has one much more recently than that. Are Baltimore, Kansas City, and Charlotte especially big markets? That’s 3 of the past 5 MVPs (Boston and Atlanta the other two).

In the past decade, 7 MVPs led their teams to #1 seeds, with 2 others as 2 seeds. The only one to even play in the wild card round was ADP in 2012 who was the #5 seed in a nothing-special Minnesota market after his 2000 yard season. There seems to be more a pattern there. Most of them just had very special statistical seasons (Lamar, Mahomes, Cam, etc). I don’t see any inherent bias against Russ, who is extremely well liked and respected around the league, both my media and players/coaches.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dang, I stand corrected. Interesting. He deserves to win one, no idea if he'll ever get the nod. LA didn't have a team for 20 plus years, so that was a crap example, but I think you get the point. Oh well, I just want him hoist another Lombardi, MVP in another Superb Owl victory is plenty good in by book.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It will take him being the focus of a successful campaign.

That will never happen under Carroll. So the answer is: When Carroll retires/is no longer coach, and if Wilson is still young enough to be effective.

Market size doesn't matter. KC isn't a huge market. Green Bay? No. Outside of Brady, the last big market QB to win the MVP was Joe Theismann in 1983. So market bias doesn't play a part.

He needs probably 2 of the following 3:

1. Most dominant team in the league
2. 5000 yds passing
3. Blowout and marquee wins.

That's the common thread/element to all of the MVP QB winners in the last decade. QBs will get consideration by nature if they are on the dominant team -- which usually results in blowout wins and marquee wins. But they have to be the x factor as well. Lamar was clearly that for Baltimore even though he failed to even get 3200 yards passing (a mark Wilson has bettered every year except his rookie season). Jackson's rushing ability, and being the obvious reason his teams were destroying the best in the league clearly outweighed his passing numbers.

Latest posts