What is Seahawks culture after new hires?

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
If Ryan Grubb is indeed our new O.C., what kind of impression does it give about the Seahawks culture after hiring a new HC and 3 new coordinators?

Hawknight

Reaction score
If Ryan Grubb is indeed our new O.C., what kind of impression does it give about the Seahawks culture after hiring a new HC and 3 new coordinators?
Rumor is MM is having the coaches over for a sleep over to play some Madden and watch scary movies. Each coach reportedly carrying sleeping bags and Durde having some kind of storybook in his possession.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I don’t think we will know for sure what the culture of this team is or will be until we see FA, the draft, training camp and some actual games. Culture isn’t exactly something you just turn on or off with a switch.
It’s why Pete Carroll is called a good culture builder. These things take time.

Here is one definition of culture from Miriam-Webster
: the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization.

If we base our understanding of culture on this definition of “shared attitudes, values, goals and practices” we can infer that culture building takes place over time.

How quickly does or has MM bought into the culture that both Jody and John want to continue with and what aspects or values will he add.
Then, how quickly will the new coordinators and position coaches buy in and add their uniqueness to the equation?

Once they are all on board, how fast will any returning players adapt and respond and make this thing we call culture just another thing that will be called the Seahawks way of doing things.

It’s a process and I’m excited to see it unfold. Even with the culture that Pete modeled and established will be different, but because those at the top want much of the positivity and whatever else they deem important to remain, it will take on characteristics of its own and should reflect the personality of MM.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Rumor is MM is having the coaches over for a sleep over to play some Madden and watch scary movies. Each coach reportedly carrying sleeping bags and Durde having some kind of storybook in his possession.

Will John be knocking on the windows while the other boys are gossiping, trying to get in?

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I feel like this is what happened ten years ago with Jim Harbaugh and Seattle. Except it’s Seattle and the Chargers. Going younger in players and coaching - new developments that will be on the rise (read option circa 2012) etc.

It’s exciting. It will be interesting to watch the chargers as well. But I feel like a bit of Deja vu here with Jim down the street albeit a difference conference.

OP
OP
AK49Hawk

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
John, Chuck, and Jody have definitely been giving off the impression after the last 2 drafts and this year's coaching cycle that the Seahawks will be known as an elite organization.

It's a good, good feeling!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Culture starts at the top. It all comes down to how Macdonald wants to run his team. I don’t think we can truly have a clue about how his culture will be until at least OTA or rookie camp.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lots of tongue in cheek responses here. For sure the culture is not going to be soft or easy.

Frankly why should the team's culture change much from what we had from the Carroll Era?

JS has always wanted a team prepared to knuckle the head of each of their opponents. While this perhaps has been diluted some recently as the message from PC was being ignored at times, it is true the cummlative record shows a winning culture and a culture of toughness where other teams found themselves fairly nicked up after playing the tough and physical Seattle team. Recently a young team was missing the essential ingredient of consistency that is unlikely to be missing under the new coaching staff.

I predict it will not be long before other teams are compelled to respect the physical toughness of the Seahawks from being punched in the mouth, and/or slobberknocked.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Will it be the "don't ever blow out another team and embarrass their coach" culture we have had for years?
Or the "don't try to beat them early so we can rest our starters and play our rookies" culture we have had for years?
Or the "if you are loyal to the Coach you get to start and get a new contract even if you suck" culture we have had for years?
Or the "energetic geriatric Walmart greeter of a coach with ONE win in the playoffs in SEVEN years" culture like we have had for years?
Or the "WE will never try to fool you or disguise our plays because we are that much better than you" culture we have had for years?
Or the "No blame No responsibility Who cares if we win because our BANK ACCOUNTS are winning so why try" culture we have had for years?
Or the "we are sooooo much smarter than you we will draft players you would never dream of in the early rounds" culture we have had for years?
Or the "We can take another teams failed players and make them a star here in Seattle (and NEVER succeed at it)" culture we have had for years?

Seems like the Old culture was pride and stubbornness and a touch of delusion. I am hoping it is not only gone but DEAD.

GemCity

Reaction score
There’s been a whole lotta talk about culture around here. When I hear about the positive aspects of the culture Pete instilled here, I’m immediately reminded that most teams in the NFL believe in the…exact….same….thing.

It’s a great keyword…a word that draws attention…especially when transitioning or when change occurs. It’s also ubiquitous.

Whatever remnants of PCs culture remain, they are sure to be overwritten in the near future. Aspects of his ‘culture’ could still exist. Perhaps things will feel eerily similar. But, there’s a new sheriff in town.

If I hurt anyone’s feelings, I didn’t intend to. I have nothing but the utmost respect for PC. In my eyes, he’s a legend.

But the ‘culture’ talk is a bit whimsical…regardless if JS used it to ease the news of Pete’s termination.

Now, if we talk about identity…I think MM is going to have our Hawks being talked about being one of the greatest defenses the NFL has ever seen. Might not happen this year or the next, but it’s coming!!

Edit - Wasn’t trying to take a dig a your thread OP….its a legit question.

hawker84

Reaction score
Hopefully change back to a championship mindset. Same culture as SF, KC, NE back in it's heyday, Dallas, Pittsburgh back in there heyday. Conference championships or bust.

chris98251

Reaction score
I see young guys all over with an Obi Won Kenobi in Leslie Frazier. I see aggressive on offense and defense once they get acclimated, I don't see us play8ing not to lose but playing to get into other teams heads.

JS, MM, RG, AD, and JH are all sitting at the Adult table now, JS now having complete control and everyone else 1st time in their positions in the Pro's. All have a reputation as creative and a deep football knowledge, all are work a Holics when it comes to what they do, I expect that to be expected of the players as well. The Pete culture about working all together, taking care of the players as well as making sure their personal lives are in good shape so they can focus is what I see continuing. Not necessarily the day to day stuff as active operations of football when it comes to the season.

That is what set us apart, was we just didn't believe in use and dispose of guys.

On the field how that plays out everyone can guess, it will be attack though in some form.