What is Seahawks culture after new hires?

BGHawk

Reaction score
I am no longer in my 20s, but the social messages matters A LOT to people in their 20s...which is the group of these NFL players. Like I definitely do not go out or repost a lot of the social messaging that is going on, but I would say if I were in my 20s and those things mattered to me and I had a coach that considered that stuff "B.S.". I don't know how much I would respect or like my coach. It's a football team, not a household when you're the parent.
Fair enough..I'm a lot older than 20, I guess I'm old school..

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Culture...smulture...who cares ? Win the division , NFC championship and SB ; then preach how gr8 your ' culture ' is .
Like I said in another thread... I work where culture is good, and we get work done cooperatively so that ships get out on time or early and mostly under budget. I spent the last 4 months of last year lent out to where the culture is shit. Huge turnover, everyone hates everyone else who isn't in their group, everyone goes home and drinks too much, and the ships go out late and over budget. I'm 64.5 years old, don't tell me I'm looking at culture like a damn kid. I'm all about 'come to work and do your damn job', but I'm also not like you "culture smulture" folks shaking your canes at the young-uns and shouting at them to get off your lawn. I'm all-in on having a good culture that gets the best out of people because they just expect that of themselves, not because they're afraid of being released.

uncle fester

Reaction score
It’s a league-wide initiative, not regionally or locally invented or controlled.

It’s called ‘Inspire Change’, but if you don’t want to change, that’s your preference.

This post is meant in a constructive way, and (to return to topic) the concerns expressed upthread are not under Macdonald’s control.

What culture Macdonald inspires is up to him. My guess is (especially after the Grubb hire) it might be a shock to the system for some. That in turn might reflect in a fairly different looking roster this coming season.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the social messaging on helmets and the field will be gone. That's one thing that really pissed me off about Pete..he encouraged that B.S
Ya cuz God forbid putting some positive messaging on the helmets. Let's just bury those issues under the rug where they belong. 🙄👌

xray

Reaction score
Ya cuz God forbid putting some positive messaging on the helmets. Let's just bury those issues under the rug where they belong. 🙄👌
It's football...just play football .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, because a message on the back of a helmet impacts your life SO much :ROFLMAO:
If you're looking at the helmets, you're not actually watching the game.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I think the culture will be of professionalism, intense preparation, accountability, and to our opponents, unpredictability. Sadly, I think there is a bunch of stuff that needs to be cleared off the books this year before Coach Macdonald's vision can be fully implemented. Two overpaid Safeties from the last regime. No 2nd round draft pick. No experienced LBs on the roster for a scheme that heavily relies on them. Very little cap space. While I fully expect John Schneider to pull a few rabbits out of his hat in the draft and Free Agency (as always), there is a lot of clean up to do in the background before we can think of 11+ wins. I'm expecting a lot of roster churn, especially of names we've grown accustomed to, but overall, I expect to see a very different team on the field in September than the one we got last year.

Mase

Reaction score
- Let me try to tie a couple of strands together, regarding a new coaching staff and culture.

The NFL, not the Pete Carroll or the Seahawks, approved 7 messages allowed to be visible on the back of players helmets.
"Choose Love", “End Racism,” “Stop Hate,” “It Takes All of Us,” “Black Lives Matter,” “Inspire Change” and “Say Their Stories.”
If seeing any one of those for a fleeting second during a closeup of a player causes you enough emotional pain, that you have to come on here and whine this much about it, then that is on you. It is only divisive to those who let it be, or want it to be.

- And when you wonder about culture, let's see what happens if McDonald embraces your belief system and says I don't like those distractions on your helmets, I am banning them. See how that "culture, smulture" would go over.

Mase

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It's football...just play football .

You know at work when they say quit complaining, you get paid to do your job...just do your job. Guess how hard a lot of people end up working? just hard enough not to get fired. People also start working just for their own individual careers vs the actual goals of the group/team/org/company.

I actually witnessed that first hand within my own work group, we had this amazing culture where everyone worked hard and played hard and amazing things were done even without the leadership knowing or asking. Then when the culture shifted dramatically to appearance of working vs the actual movement. The output, improvement and quality all dramatically dropped as people came in to do just what was required, sit and appear like they were working, clock in and clock out.

You want a bunch of dudes who only play for themselves so they can get big paydays...or do you want a bunch of dudes who play as a team to actually win a championship. Culture does matter. It's not ALL that matters, but it does matter.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'm calling it right now. At some point within the next 6 years (Macdonald's contract) Our defense will be more dominate than the LOB era.

I'm all for it, but that is a BOLD take lol. Damn

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm calling it right now. At some point within the next 6 years (Macdonald's contract) Our defense will be more dominate than the LOB era.
Oh great more Seattle instigated rule changes coming. :)

xray

Reaction score
You know at work when they say quit complaining, you get paid to do your job...just do your job. Guess how hard a lot of people end up working? just hard enough not to get fired. People also start working just for their own individual careers vs the actual goals of the group/team/org/company.

I actually witnessed that first hand within my own work group, we had this amazing culture where everyone worked hard and played hard and amazing things were done even without the leadership knowing or asking. Then when the culture shifted dramatically to appearance of working vs the actual movement. The output, improvement and quality all dramatically dropped as people came in to do just what was required, sit and appear like they were working, clock in and clock out.

You want a bunch of dudes who only play for themselves so they can get big paydays...or do you want a bunch of dudes who play as a team to actually win a championship. Culture does matter. It's not ALL that matters, but it does matter.
Nice story ; but many of these dudes are only on a team for a season or so . They might not give a chit about culture . Don't kid yourself , most pro sports players are playing for themselves and a big fat payday...so would I . They are always auditioning for the next contract or team so they try to play hard most of the time , because they are all on film and being judged .

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Nice story ; but many of these dudes are only on a team for a season or so . They might not give a chit about culture . Don't kid yourself , most pro sports players are playing for themselves and a big fat payday...so would I . They are always auditioning for the next contract or team so they try to play hard most of the time , because they are all on film and being judged .

Most are, just like 99% of people in a workplace are only taking care of themselves. But culture does matter if you're going to work with those personalities and try to get the end goal to happen (for NFL team its a championship). How do you get a group of diverse people some who play for themselves and care more about their big paychecks than a potential championship, some who realize they really don't have much of a career, some who are new to the pros and are bought in, some who are veterans and don't really care. There is definitely an immense amount of leadership involved, which involves building the team culture. Like I wrote, it's not everything, but it is a factor. Assuming its the only factor and thinking you will never have a large amount of people playing for themselves would be incredibly naive of me. But if you dismiss it entirely as a factor, well that shows your lack of leadership too.

The NFL is a business....I have SOME experience in leadership roles in various communities, work groups, corporate and small business and this is my take where goals and rotation of incoming/outgoing diverse people skills/traits/goals is always constant. I am curious where your take is from where you seem to deny the importance culture entirely.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
This is the culture I want. Remember back on our Super Bowl season. I think every team we played, lost the following week because they were so beat up from the beating they received the week before. There might be an exception, but I’m going odd memory.