What is the next big move?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Some Analysts believe the Hawks are going to trade for a QB. They do not believe it will be a full rebuild.

Thoughts?

Will Tyler be gone first? Dk?

Fade

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":vr29ehja said:
Some Analysts believe the Hawks are going to trade for a QB. They do not believe it will be a full rebuild.

Thoughts?

Certainly possible. 70+ year old head coach not named BB going full rebuild sounds insane to me. But the Seahawks have been insane for a while now, so I don't know what to think at this juncture.

Tyler has a massive dead money hit, along with Jamal Adams, so those 2 are safe.

DK is the big trade chip the Seahawks can dangle if they want more high picks.

They are a dumpster fire until they find another QB. WAS for example has an extremely talented team, but most wouldn't know it because they don't have a QB. Denver was the same last year, but with Wilson they're now top 4 to win the Superbowl according to odds makers.

I think they are going with a back to basics approach. It's what Pete knows and is comfortable with. And John likes it too, because of the draft aspect of it. They're going to attempt to re-create 2010-2012. Which will likely end in failure. Like hitting a half-court shot blindfolded, and thinking you can do it again. If it were that easy they would've shown some signs during the 2013-2021 drafts. Since 2016 they've drafted 52 players, only 3 made the pro-bowl and 1 of them was a punter.

Honestly it's been one bad decision after the other since the Percy Harvin trade back in 2013, and they just don't operate well with high profile Free Agents, trades, or Day 1 and 2 picks. They're at their best when doing smaller trades and later picks. However, you can't survive on that alone. You need to hit on 1st rounders, and you need to win high-profile trades, and bring in a big FA every once in a while. Or you will just continue to fall behind the rest of the league as the Seahawks have done.

I said all of that to say this. The Seahawks need a miracle. And the next big move is trading or signing DK.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":3l89wq8m said:
Shanegotyou11":3l89wq8m said:

Thoughts?

Certainly possible. 70+ year old head coach not named BB going full rebuild sounds insane to me. But the Seahawks have been insane for a while now, so I don't know what to think at this juncture.

Tyler has a massive dead money hit, along with Jamal Adams, so those 2 are safe.

They are a dumpster fire until they find another QB. WAS for example has an extremely talented team, but most wouldn't know it because they don't have a QB. Denver was the same last year, but with Wilson they're now top 4 to win the Superbowl according to odds makers.

I think they are going with a back to basics approach. It's what Pete knows and is comfortable with. And John likes it too, because of the draft aspect of it. They're going to attempt to re-create 2010-2012. Which will likely end in failure. Like hitting a half-court shot blindfolded, and thinking you can do it again. If it were that easy they would've shown some signs during the 2013-2021 drafts. Since 2016 they've drafted 52 players, only 3 made the pro-bowl and 1 of them was a punter.

Honestly it's been one bad decision after the other since the Percy Harvin trade back in 2013, and they just don't operate well with high profile Free Agents, trades, or Day 1 and 2 picks. They're at their best when doing smaller trades and later picks. However, you can't survive on that alone. You need to hit on 1st rounders, and you need to win high-profile trades, and bring in a big FA every once in a while. Or you will just continue to fall behind the rest of the league as the Seahawks have done.

I said all of that to say this. The Seahawks need a miracle. And the next big move is trading or signing DK.
Got a feeling DK will be traded before the draft.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bcg5jui said:
Fade":2bcg5jui said:
Shanegotyou11":2bcg5jui said:

Thoughts?

Got a feeling DK will be traded before the draft.

Good points by both of you. I keep hearing deshaun to seattle if legal allegations clear.

keasley45

Reaction score
They're going to need to create more cap space/ trade capital for the Watson trade.

Moving Tyler makes sense given his contract. I think Waldron has a younger faster, albeit inexperienced version of Tyler in D Eskridge. Their anticipating this iffseason may be why they elected to sit him last year after his concussion - assure he has no lingering effects going into the year they will need him most.

With DK, D Eskridge, Fant and Everett, plus a lower cost, high potential wr acquisition as a wr2, they probably like where they are at. Swain gains value assuming you have a qb who can take full advantage of Waldron 's scheming.

Dropping Lockett frees up 10 mil i think. Dropping wagner frees up 20mil. That's 30 million plus the 39m they have to cover an almost $40 million cap hit if they take on Watson... assuming they don't renegotiate his contract.

Could also see them moving on from Dk and bringing on another high WR2 player at a lower number.

Having someone at OC who can scheme open a WR via route design and alignments reduces the requirement for all world ability.

xray

Reaction score
Swapping Carroll for Belichick works for me . :D

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The fact that DK is the only player they have with any real trade value now speaks to how bad this roster currently is. The few stars they have, be it Diggs, Adams, Dunlap, Brown, or Carson are either getting old or coming off injury, and we can't get much in the way of a trade. Most everyone else is average at best, and sub-par in too many cases. Which also makes attracting top quality FAs more challenging.

I think we'll be better than the Texans, but that's about it. Unless Pete pulls a rabbit out of his hat, or John drafts a bunch of gems in the next two drafts, the next five years are going to be one long slog. Those of you advocating getting rid of Russ, you got your wish. Congrats.

keasley45

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1uj2b41l said:
The fact that DK is the only player they have with any real trade value now speaks to how bad this roster currently is. The few stars they have, be it Diggs, Adams, Dunlap, Brown, or Carson are either getting old or coming off injury, and we can't get much in the way of a trade. Most everyone else is average at best, and sub-par in too many cases. Which also makes attracting top quality FAs more challenging.

I think we'll be better than the Texans, but that's about it. Unless Pete pulls a rabbit out of his hat, or John drafts a bunch of gems in the next two drafts, the next five years are going to be one long slog. Those of you advocating getting rid of Russ, you got your wish. Congrats.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. I'd argue Lockett has value though. Could also be that they have talent that would be tradeable if under contract. Just so happens we have a long list of players we want to keep on our roster that have expired contracts.

From that perspective, they have plenty of talent that would start on other teams if they don't sign them themselves.

This team is one year removed from near leading the league in probowl selection, and that was with Lockett and Dickson getting snubbed. Granted Wags and Wilson are now gone, but I have a hard time looking at our roster and seeing a dud.

Only better than the Texans? Really?

Tusc2000

Reaction score
keasley45":2ef01u03 said:
Tusc2000":2ef01u03 said:

I suppose that's one way to look at it. I'd argue Lockett has value though. Could also be that they have talent that would be tradeable if under contract. Just so happens we have a long list of players we want to keep on our roster that have expired contracts.

From that perspective, they have plenty of talent that would start on other teams if they don't sign them themselves.

This team is one year removed from near leading the league in probowl selection, and that was with Lockett and Dickson getting snubbed. Granted Wags and Wilson are now gone, but I have a hard time looking at our roster and seeing a dud.

Only better than the Texans? Really?

Well maybe better than the Giants and the Lions. Some guys on D may continue to develop and eventually become stars, but outside of WR, the offense is looking pretty grim right now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I thought I heard that Lockett would be a massive dead money hit even if he's traded. If that's the case, no way in hell they trade him.

Elemas

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ti880q1 said:
I thought I heard that Lockett would be a massive dead money hit even if he's traded. If that's the case, no way in hell they trade him.

Correct. If they are shopping him, this is a full blown rebuild as you’d be more concerned with grabbing picks than dead money.

Time will tell…

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The next big move HAS to be a QB, which could involve other players, including some mentioned above, but nailing down a QB is the single most important thing on our plate right now. Without that nothing else matters much.
Like I said earlier, insane or not, there is no way they agreed to give up Russ without having a plan in place. We just don't know the details of what it is yet.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2j1dgkhc said:
The next big move HAS to be a QB, which could involve other players, including some mentioned above, but nailing down a QB is the single most important thing on our plate right now. Without that nothing else matters much.
Like I said earlier, insane or not, there is no way they agreed to give up Russ without having a plan in place. We just don't know the details of what it is yet.

This is true, and we'll need to wait for the other show to drop. Maybe they have eyes on drafting another Russ who's flying under the radar, or they have a Hail Mary plan to acquire DeShaun Watson and shed his legal issues, I don't see any QB out there that comes anywhere close to Russ-level talent. To be continued...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tusc2000":16hgk90m said:
Appyhawk":16hgk90m said:

This is true, and we'll need to wait for the other show to drop. Maybe they have eyes on drafting another Russ who's flying under the radar, or they have a Hail Mary plan to acquire DeShaun Watson and shed his legal issues, I don't see any QB out there that comes anywhere close to Russ-level talent. To be continued...
I hope there is a solid plan for the QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1obwuj1d said:
Tusc2000":1obwuj1d said:
Appyhawk":1obwuj1d said:

They have a plan, we just may not like it, Friday I think the Watson situation may shake out and people will have a better idea where that is going.

As far as WR's to get a QB he will want targets, DK and Wilson never seemed in sync, then again they never used slants and hit him in stride much, Wilson never did a lot of that almost fly patterns mostly and sideline stuff.

To rebuild you keep your youth, DK is that as well as Lockett, you only have so many draft picks to fill a roster of holes now.

Why spend on a QB if you get rid of his targets before you go after him.

keasley45

Reaction score
chris98251":1utzshtf said:
Sports Hernia":1utzshtf said:
Tusc2000":1utzshtf said:
Appyhawk":1utzshtf said:

They have a plan, we just may not like it, Friday I think the Watson situation may shake out and people will have a better idea where that is going.

As far as WR's to get a QB he will want targets, DK and Wilson never seemed in sync, then again they never used slants and hit him in stride much, Wilson never did a lot of that almost fly patterns mostly and sideline stuff.

To rebuild you keep your youth, DK is that as well as Lockett, you only have so many draft picks to fill a roster of holes now.

Why spend on a QB if you get rid of his targets before you go after him.

Agree on Watson, but they need cap space and can't afford to pay two wrs like #1s. So who do you keep?

I think Waldron sees HIS Lockett in D Eskridge and i wouldn't be surprised if part of him sitting out as much as he did last year was saving him for '22 and assuring he had zero lingering effects.

That AND if Waldron can do what he was brought here for, our wr's getting open will be as much a result of his scheme as it will uber talent.

Lockett saves them 10 mill. Wags, 20 mill. Watson will cost us between 30 and 40... closer to 30 I think.

I get that you want to keep all of your talent, but dropping a man gets you the money you need to set the franchise up for the next 5 years behind Watson.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lockett and picks are shipped to Houston for Watson.

If that happens, I'd consider it F'ing brilliant.

Russellmania3

Reaction score
Next big move is 3 or 4 years from now when this team never finishes above 8 wins and Jody Allen loses intrest and sells the team to some rich human from overseas.