What single event....

enamel

Reaction score
to the OP, how did the Fail Mary change the course of this team?

OP
OP
D

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
enamel":35zmgjt9 said:
to the OP, how did the Fail Mary change the course of this team?

I am a believer in momentum and I think that event led to a seismic shift in how the members of this team, the NFL and their team’s fan base viewed this team. We wore the black hat and became polarizing for taking down and ‘swindling’ a beloved legacy franchise. 'How dare they??' Before that, we were mostly seen as middle of the road plodders who were pitied because we had our one shining moment (SB XL) stolen from us. After that event, I think the team ‘circled the wagon’ and gained a collective belief in itself that it could accomplish whatever the team set its mind to. As for the 12th man, we used to have Packers, Steelers, Cowboys fans overwhelm us at any given stadium. Now, we invade arenas across the country with hordes in blue and green face paint donning 24, 3 and 11 jerseys. Yes many roster and personnel moves, Russ and Marshawn in particular, led us towards our success prior to this but I believe this was the tipping point which started the cascade effect.

drdiags

Reaction score
Beastquake gave Carroll some breathing room, with some fans and local media out for blood because of agendas or just being reactionary. The NFCW floundering around and letting the Seahawks win the division helped set that up.

He burned up a ton of that goodwill with moving on from Matt H and the wolves were starting to circle again with the second 7-9 season. After failing with Whitehurst, not connecting with the fanbase upon replacing Matt with Tarvaris and then starting a rookie after paying Flynn, things were on shaky grounds.

Hanging with Wilson through the first half of the season with the same local media folks casting a wary eye on him was a big milestone.

Beastquake gave him enough cache inside the club to offer hope to the team and kept them believing until he and John were able to implement yrs 2-4.

OP
OP
D

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
drdiags":3be3hw1y said:
Beastquake gave Carroll some breathing room, with some fans and local media out for blood because of agendas or just being reactionary. The NFCW floundering around and letting the Seahawks win the division helped set that up.

He burned up a ton of that goodwill with moving on from Matt H and the wolves were starting to circle again with the second 7-9 season. After failing with Whitehurst, not connecting with the fanbase upon replacing Matt with Tarvaris and then starting a rookie after paying Flynn, things were on shaky grounds.

Hanging with Wilson through the first half of the season with the same local media folks casting a wary eye on him was a big milestone.

Beastquake gave him enough cache inside the club to offer hope to the team and kept them believing until he and John were able to implement yrs 2-4.

I agree, that event kept this regime on life support.

drdiags

Reaction score
Fail Mary is a good one.

For me, the moment I knew things were about to change in all type of ways was the comeback victory over the Patriots. It had been a long time, if ever that I could remember the team standing up to a upper echelon team and getting it done after looking out of it. Matt had his moments in the past. Pete's first year, the Chargers game gave a glimpse of what they would become.

The Patriots game was the game I got on the Wilson wagon because he showed me something.

So Patriots got me on-board with our new QB. Beastquake is the single event that gave Carroll's vision a chance to become reality.

hawk45

Reaction score
Boy, has to be PA for me. 2 runs to the Superbowl with a small transition period in between only happens with an owner who knows what he's doing and has a legit desire to win.

i5roadrunner

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":8b8xmxii said:
TwistedHusky":8b8xmxii said:
Paul Allen buying the team.

Without that, the other dominos do not fall.

We probably don't fire Mora (who is turning into a damned good coach at UCLA)

We most assuredly don't make the big pitch for Carroll.

Schneider does not follow.

So the team does not do as well in the later rounds of the draft, meaning no Sherman and almost assuredly no Wilson.

Ken Bering-we woke up from that sweaty nightmare when he bought the team.

I agree here on all points.

IllWill49

Reaction score
As an outsider looking in I feel it would have to be drafting Russel Wilson, He elevates you guys from good/decent team to a serious contender.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
To me it's absolutely the day we drafted Russell Wilson.

I said all year in 2011 that with a good QB we were a 10 win team. Solid defence, could run the ball, but subpar QB play (particularly late in games) killed us and had us finish at 7-9. Still remember T-Jax nearly ruining my Christmas 2 years ago with the garbage play late in that 49er game.

Put a good QB into that mix and look what happens

OP
OP
D

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
12thManNorth":2w0ey0v9 said:
To me it's absolutely the day we drafted Russell Wilson.

I said all year in 2011 that with a good QB we were a 10 win team. Solid defence, could run the ball, but subpar QB play (particularly late in games) killed us and had us finish at 7-9. Still remember T-Jax nearly ruining my Christmas 2 years ago with the garbage play late in that 49er game.

Put a good QB into that mix and look what happens

Yeah, I was that game and flew in from Germany to see and visit the fam, what a downer.....the game that is.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
December 2nd 2012. Seahawks at Bears. That game turned me, I've believed ever since.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Whoever was behind the idea to get PC. And give him full reign. He is proving that he can put a competitor on the field for a long time. PV will have his own coaching tree after this run as the leader of the Hawks. A lot of other fans poke a lot of fun on PC, but the guy takes his football seriously. He has a deep pool of talent in his eyes for the next 3 years at a minimum. Kids he wanted at USC in high school are coming out in these drafts. He hits on so many players.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So many seminal moments for me.

When Pete was hired.

When Pete paid Houshmanzadeh more than 6 mil to play somewhere else.

When we ran back two kickoffs vs the Chargers. There is no beastquake without that game.

When Curry lost his job to a low round pick.

Beating the Giants on the road by hitting them in the mouth.

Drafting Russell Wilson. Actually letting him compete for the job. Starting him in the preseason vs the Chiefs. Sticking with him through the team learning to believe in him.

The 42-13 beatdown at the Link.

THe comeback vs Washington.

The comeback vs Atlanta.

The gutted out victories like vs Houston.

Tomorrow.

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
Im not really sure there was one moment but it all started with the signing of js and pc. Turning over the whole roster and trading for lynch to give the team an identity. It did take a while because lynch couldn't do it by himself.
hawkalypse, if you want to say the Green Bay game turned us around, I can see that a little because the seahawks played an outstanding game. Showed we could play with great teams. 9 sacks in the first half I believe and that was when Pete was still handcuffing Wilson. But as you say, that play made us circle the wagon and give us belief, how the hell did we lose to the rams the following week?
And I don't think it was drafting Wilson. Don't get me wrong, he is very good but this whole team from 1-53 is pretty damn good and I think they are a 10-11 win team without Wilson.
Like I said, I think it's Pete, schnieder and the trade for lynch, not so much the player but the style we want for out team.

Latest posts