What team comes from nowhere this year

kearly

Reaction score
Minnesota or Jacksonville, whenever they come to their senses and start their rookie sensation QBs.

I'm bullish on Tampa with the tools they have in the passing offense and Lovie's D. In a best case scenario that team could look like the 2006 Bears- a good D with a " **** it, go deep!" offense.

One team that is way under the radar- the Dolphins. People forget, but the Dolphins just barely missed the playoffs last year despite having one of the worst O-lines in NFL history.

The one thing most surprise teams seem to have in common is a good defense. KC, Carolina, and Arizona had very good defenses last year. The Chargers defense had it's best season in some time (9th in scoring last year, despite Denver). Even the Eagles had a decent defense (20th in scoring) considering how difficult it is to play quality defense with a hurry up offense on the other side.

The Dolphins defense ranked 8th in scoring last year.

They have some good pieces on offense too. Bill Lazor will bring a Chip Kelly like offensive scheme to Miami this year, which I think will fit Ryan Tannehill very well. The Dolphins lack a true #1 in their WR group, but Wallace and Hartline are solid and Jarvis Landry was my favorite non-elite WR from last year's draft. Knowshon Moreno just had a really nice preseason game for them and is a very polished player.

And their division is shit. I don't know if it's a "surprise" to go from 8-8 to 9-7 or 10-6, but I think the Dolphins have a good shot at playoff contention this year in a weak AFC.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":tnra1skz said:
Minnesota or Jacksonville, whenever they come to their senses and start their rookie sensation QBs.

I'm bullish on Tampa with the tools they have in the passing offense and Lovie's D. In a best case scenario that team could look like the 2006 Bears- a good D with a " **** it, go deep!" offense.

One team that is way under the radar- the Dolphins. People forget, but the Dolphins just barely missed the playoffs last year despite having one of the worst O-lines in NFL history.

The Dolphins defense ranked 8th in scoring, and they have some good pieces on offense. Bill Lazor will bring a Chip Kelly like offensive scheme to Miami this year, which I think will fit Ryan Tannehill very well. The Dolphins lack a true #1 in their WR group, but Wallace and Hartline are solid and Jarvis Landry was my favorite non-elite WR from last year's draft. Knowshon Moreno just had a really nice preseason game for them and is a very polished player.

And their division is shit. I don't know if it's a "surprise" to go from 8-8 to 9-7 or 10-6, but I think the Dolphins have a good shot at playoff contention this year in a weak AFC.
I am very curious to see just how the Dolphins using the Chip Kelly offense style helps their O-line. No Pouncy is a big deal, and while I like some of the pieces to that line, they essentially are starting over this year. IMO, it takes some time for zone blocking guys to establish continuity with each other, so I expect tehm to be pretty inconsistent at first. If they sit at 4-4 after the halfway point I will like their playoff chances. I don't really expect them to, though.

kearly

Reaction score
The most recent reports suggest the Pouncey's recovery is going well, and that he's expected to start by the end of September. He's lobbying hard to start sooner than that, and it's been suggested he may even return to practice this week depending on what the doctors say.

One thing about a Chip Kelly styled spread offense that may help is a liberal use of the bubble screen, which can effectively replace 5-10 rush attempts a game. That said, they don't really have an ideal bubble screen target on their roster right now.

It's worth repeating that the Dolphins OL was one of the worst in history last year. Even if the line is equally bad in 2014, at least this time around the Dolphins seem to be prepared to scheme around it somewhat.

Interesting thing about surprise teams is that they often start slow. Arizona, Carolina, and Philly all had slow starts last season, then caught fire.

ASuperForce

Reaction score
Giants. They seem to excel at both underachieving and overachieving. They're due for an overachieving year.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2pckexa7 said:
rideaducati":2pckexa7 said:
WilsonMVP":2pckexa7 said:
Vikings. They were better than their record indicated and the defense blew ALOT of games on the very last drive AFTER the offense couldnt get just the one first down they needed to seal the game.

I think with Turner being the OC and Matt C starting from day 1 basically, it will help. AP is going to be alot more involved in the passing game and the offense will just be more varied IMO. Musgrave and Frazier were terrible coaches, probably one of the worst in the league. They cant be any worse than they were last year and they should of easily been 7-9 if not 8-8 and won the North last year if not for last second collapses.

The defense was dead last and was using a very outdated tampa 2. Cant see how they wont improve at least a little with a new scheme. Just jumping from last up ten spots or so should be good for another win or 2.

Their new coach won't take AP off the field on fourth down and one like the previous idiot. They're unlikely to sign a QB then have him throw the ball 54 times after three days with the team.

How inept was that coaching staff?

I like the Vikes too. I think it will be whichever team has the best defense in that division.
That's the problem none of them any defense of note. Maybe Green Bay but that's arguable. I lean to Green Bay because of Rodgers but even then I could see anybody but Detroit winning if the pieces fall right.

I agree. I think it really is a 3 team race between the Bears, Packers, and Vikings. Vikings QB was just downright terrible last year and the offense was still in the top half of the league. Like I said their D cant be any worse than last year. They were historically one of the worst defenses in league history up until the last game or so.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":16lags1f said:
The most recent reports suggest the Pouncey's recovery is going well, and that he's expected to start by the end of September. He's lobbying hard to start sooner than that, and it's been suggested he may even return to practice this week depending on what the doctors say.

One thing about a Chip Kelly styled spread offense that may help is a liberal use of the bubble screen, which can effectively replace 5-10 rush attempts a game. That said, they don't really have an ideal bubble screen target on their roster right now.

It's worth repeating that the Dolphins OL was one of the worst in history last year. Even if the line is equally bad in 2014, at least this time around the Dolphins seem to be prepared to scheme around it somewhat.

Interesting thing about surprise teams is that they often start slow. Arizona, Carolina, and Philly all had slow starts last season, then caught fire.
Which I think is often a product of offensive lines coming together.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kearly":2ox0wr0i said:

The one thing most surprise teams seem to have in common is a good defense. KC, Carolina, and Arizona had very good defenses last year. The Chargers defense had it's best season in some time (9th in scoring last year, despite Denver). Even the Eagles had a decent defense (20th in scoring) considering how difficult it is to play quality defense with a hurry up offense on the other side.

The Dolphins defense ranked 8th in scoring last year.

They have some good pieces on offense too. Bill Lazor will bring a Chip Kelly like offensive scheme to Miami this year, which I think will fit Ryan Tannehill very well. The Dolphins lack a true #1 in their WR group, but Wallace and Hartline are solid and Jarvis Landry was my favorite non-elite WR from last year's draft. Knowshon Moreno just had a really nice preseason game for them and is a very polished player.

I think Teddy will be better than Matt C and might be allready but Matt C has done nothing to really lose his starting spot in the preseason. I think each starting drive they have scored in the preseason for the starting offense, and thats WITHOUT AP. The offense looks miles better than it has in the past. If he struggles and the team doesnt win towards the begining of the season I think Bridgewater could see some action. I think there are going to be some people who are shocked at how good the Vikings offense is going to be this year. AP being way more involved in the passing game is going to open up that offense a ton.

QB- Matt C- Prob average at best but has had a pro bowl year before. 1000 times better than Ponder though
I think Teddy B is probably equal to Matt C right now but its hard to tell since he hasnt played with the 1's much. Much like Wilson he seems to be a pretty good leader, goes through progressions really well, and has poise in the pocket. If Matt C would of been injured like Flynn was for that 3rd preseason game, Bridgewater would probably be the starter IMO.

HB- AP - #1 RB in the NFL and it isnt even close IMO. Turner is going to get him more involved in the passing game so there wont be any more taking AP out on a ton of 3rd down passing situations. Cant imagine how scary AP is going to be with swing passes and being out by the sidelines with only CBs and Safeties to blow past. Many people on here probably think Lynch is more physical but AP is just as much of a beast.

TE- Rudolph- Underutilized 2 *out of 3 years. Had 9TD the year he was thrown to alot and is prob borderline top 5 TE in the league. When he has been utilized and is running routes he has been a pretty dang good TE.

WR 1- Greg Jennings- Had a fairly decent year last year when he was in with Matt C. Ponder hardly ever threw to him. Being in a real offensive scheme and having a real OC should open things up more for him. Even with the QB go around and Ponder not ever really throwing to him or seeing him wide open he finished with 800 yards and 4TD.

WR 2- Cordarelle Patterson- Honestly he is a taller Harvin. Prob cant accelerate as quick but is as agile for such a big guy. As a returner he is at least on par if not better than Harvin when Harvin was on the Vikings. Was hardly used until the later half of the season in which he had 627 rushing and receiving yards with 7TD.

WR 3- Jerome Simpson- Just an average WR. For a #3 he is pretty good. Had 700 yards last year. Will be suspended for a few games.

From what I have seen in Preseason so far WITHOUT AP playing a snap this offense allready seems a ton better than the one they had last year. I have a feeling they are going to blow the Rams out week 1 but we will see. The D looks better but we will see how they perform playing all 4 quarters.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tampa Bay. The offensive line is a problem, but I expect them to be strong as the season ends.
I think the Titans surprise. The O-line is stellar.
The Ravens. I think they win their division.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2agk1t8f said:

I wouldn't say that for any of the teams that caught fire last year, though it was definitely the catalyst for the 2011 Hawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":34e6j8h7 said:
Scottemojo":34e6j8h7 said:

I wouldn't say that for any of the teams that caught fire last year, though it was definitely the catalyst for the 2011 Hawks.
No, not last year.

It is interesting, looking at the league,about 20 teams, maybe more, would call the O-line the weak link on the team.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":q9v6rebf said:
kearly":q9v6rebf said:

No, not last year.

It is interesting, looking at the league,about 20 teams, maybe more, would call the O-line the weak link on the team.

I've heard more than a few NFL personnel types flat out say that most NFL O-lineman are pretty bad at their jobs. That's probably the reason why there are lot of "okay" offensive lineman in this league making 8 or 9 million a year.

Tampa Bay. The offensive line is a problem, but I expect them to be strong as the season ends.
I think the Titans surprise. The O-line is stellar.
The Ravens. I think they win their division.

Ravens O-line clearly had an outlier season last year (worst run blocking ever by FO), and looks much improved this preseason.

Bishop Sankey has had a crappy preseason... running behind the 2nd and 3rd string O-line. He has Giovanni Bernard type talent. Locker can win tight games. Their defense is solid. Their WR depth blows, but Hunter and Wright have what it takes to be solid starters if they are healthy. Weak division. Wisenhunt is a decent coach.

If Locker and Hunter go down though, I think they are screwed. Then again, Mettenberger has looked really good this preseason, so who knows.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Agree completely with WilsonMVP.
From watching the preseason games Minnesota even minus AP looks to be clicking under Nov Turner. More explosive and less predictable playcalling. Defense looks faster to the ball than last year. The llinebackers are quick and talented. Cassell looks comfortable and accurate in Norv Turner's system. They might surprise a few experts this year but not be good enough to contend with our Hawks or the NO Aints.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When answering this question I always look at the ease of schedule.

Last year it was the Colts and Chiefs with the ridiculously easy schedules, which propelled them into the playoffs, even though their talent was mediocre at best.

So this year I'm going with the Texans and Ravens for my surprise teams to bounce back and make a push for the playoffs. Case Keenam can be a steady QB and doesn't have to carry the load if Foster can stay healthy........and their D with both Watts and Clowney is going to be nasty.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a7h7trfw said:

Last year it was the Colts and Chiefs with the ridiculously easy schedules, which propelled them into the playoffs, even though their talent was mediocre at best.

So this year I'm going with the Texans and Ravens for my surprise teams to bounce back and make a push for the playoffs. Case Keenam can be a steady QB and doesn't have to carry the load if Foster can stay healthy........and their D with both Watts and Clowney is going to be nasty.
I like the Ravens too but not the Texans. Ryan Pickpatrick at QB. 'Nuff said.

Sac

Reaction score
Baltimore is another one I think could really step up this year. If Kubiak can turn Matt Schaub into a pro-bowler, what can he do for Flacco?

Their offensive line looks much improved, Torrey Smith could really break out, and Pierce looks like a good zone blocking type running back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ogkwlzph said:
Sgt. Largent":ogkwlzph said:

I like the Ravens too but not the Texans. Ryan Pickpatrick at QB. 'Nuff said.

True, but don't think Fitzpatrick is going to last to week 4. Kennam will be their starter, which should give them a more dynamic offense, albeit more erratic.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Neither the Texans or Falcons are teams coming from "nowhere this year."

They are both teams that are historically good and were not last year. They are expected to become good again.

Now, whoever said Vikings - I agree with that. They could go either way, and no one would really be surprised if they won 4 games this year. I think they are going to be surprisingly good, especially towards the last half.

Sherminator

Reaction score
RedAlice":273z5uqi said:
Neither the Texans or Falcons are teams coming from "nowhere this year."

They are both teams that are historically good and were not last year. They are expected to become good again.

Now, whoever said Vikings - I agree with that. They could go either way, and no one would really be surprised if they won 4 games this year. I think they are going to be surprisingly good, especially towards the last half.

I think you and I both know what can happen when a team surrounds a mediocre QB with a talented roster.
If the Vikings are truly trying to become a better team, naming Cassell the starting QB was the first mistake.