What Will Seattle Do If a Top shelf Talent Falls to Them...

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3c80wnak said:
The thing is by who's metrics are we looking at "top shelf talent"?

In every draft there are usually only so many genune 1st round talents. So far it is estimated there may only be 18 in the this draft ( Source: Seahawks draft blog). What if the guy left at 18 isn't the player the team wants, character issues, or poor positional fit, health issues) but is the last genuine talent left from the first round? Does the team draft him anyway? Does the team trade back for player they think is a better fit and recapture value for another early pick?

Except for OLinemen the team has done not a bad job finding players that fit their needs, some are certainly better than others I agree but the history since 2010 has been good and certainly better than average.

Did you not read my OP?
Fade":3c80wnak said:
All I'm saying is if Seattle has a 1st rd graded player on their board at 18. Take him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yeah I read your post, but asked some real questions about the hard and fast rule of taking the player.

You apparently didn’t read my post or I wasn’t clear.

As to your basic premise I don’t disagree with you and suspect that the team’s hard list of players they think are ‘top shelf talent’ is shorter than a lot of other teams given their history. If they have a big list of next tier players with ‘similar assessed value’ then of course they start to maximize their pick value. I doubt they do it simply to get more picks at the loss of a ‘top shelf talent’. There are other factors of need, positional depth, future roster composition, and

This is the earliest the FO will get to pick since their first season here so trading back may not hold the same value to them as in prior years when picking in the last quarter of the round.

I hope they do have one of their ‘top shelf talent’s’ fall to them at 18 and they do pick then instead of trading back and settling for lesser but more picks. It is a perspective difference as far as value thing in the end. We never know for some time if the higher shelf talent is in fact really that talented.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Couple of years ago we traded down with Philadelphia, and they took the guy I wanted (Fletcher Cox), while we got Bruce Irvin.

Fletcher Cox is that rare interior dlineman that can disrupt the middle.

The only possibility I see that would be worth the 18th pick, Vita Vea, IF he falls that far. Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to pass up getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I just hope if John does trade back, that he gets more than usual, because a 1st rounder gives a team a 5th year option. That is HUGE when it comes to control of an elite player. Saves money, and keeps that player on your team.

chris98251

Reaction score
We target differently as our drafts indicate, at 18 were just at the edge of elite players, if there is a run on QB's or another position it can push down players. Again we target differently, so a player teams initially thought was at lets say 14 or 15 makes it to 18, call John and we trade down to 2nd and a third or lets say to 28 and a 3rd etc. That's how I see our draft moving. Our player we value as our highest player but is forecast to go at 35 or 40, that's our latitude.

D

DomeHawk

What mystifies me is that so many people think we can't get a pro-bowl type player at 18. And, I'm not necessarily saying we can, but we got a Hall of Fame player at 14 so it doesn't seem so out of the realm to me.

sutz

Reaction score
DomeHawk":24a6pptg said:
What mystifies me is that so many people think we can't get a pro-bowl type player at 18. And, I'm not necessarily saying we can, but we got a Hall of Fame player at 14 so it doesn't seem so out of the realm to me.
Yabbut...what is better, getting one player who may be Pro Bowl caliber versus getting 3 players from rounds 1-3 that might also become pro-bowlers albeit on a lower percentage chance. I know everybody has their ratings charts as to value of picks, there are several of them out there, but that number doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

Also, there are often 2 or 3 players that the team thinks are worthy of that value. What do they do if 2 of them are still available, or all 3? Is the best player so good that you risk losing a shot at the other 2?

People want to simplify this decision. I don't think it's all that simple. Right now, we don't have any day 2 picks. That's a huge hole in our draft opportunities this year. I won't complain if they trade back to get a pick in Rd 2 and/or 3.

D

DomeHawk

sutz":1d383lud said:
DomeHawk":1d383lud said:
Yabbut...what is better, getting one player who may be Pro Bowl caliber versus getting 3 players from rounds 1-3 that might also become pro-bowlers albeit on a lower percentage chance. I know everybody has their ratings charts as to value of picks, there are several of them out there, but that number doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

Also, there are often 2 or 3 players that the team thinks are worthy of that value. What do they do if 2 of them are still available, or all 3? Is the best player so good that you risk losing a shot at the other 2?

People want to simplify this decision. I don't think it's all that simple. Right now, we don't have any day 2 picks. That's a huge hole in our draft opportunities this year. I won't complain if they trade back to get a pick in Rd 2 and/or 3.

Of course you make a good point BUT the only reason I would trade down (outside of there simply being no one available) is that very scenario (that we don't have any picks down there).

Mojambo

Reaction score
They simply can't come out of the first two days of the draft with only one player. Too many needs on a roster that is turning over. Fortunately, some of their biggest needs are the deeper areas of this draft (RB, TE) so trading down makes even more sense this year.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Based on the last few drafts they will make some absurd calculation trade out of the pick and screw themselves out of a great player.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":28toaydu said:
Based on the last few drafts they will make some absurd calculation trade out of the pick and screw themselves out of a great player.

Oh please. This is the first time we havnt made the playoffs in how many years? Please check your tone at the door. I get enough of that at home.....

ivotuk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":cxgz40la said:

I think the thing that frustrates me the most is the value we get when we trade down. I think other GMs know that John likes to trade down, so they don't offer up equitable trades.

I see other teams "appear" to do much better when they trade out of the 1st round. Like I mentioned before, 1st round picks are so valuable because of the control it gives a team over a talented player that will command big dollars down the line.

That 5th year option is like a pick all by itself because of how much money it saves the team when keeping a 1st round talent for one more year on a rookie pay scale.