What's happening with Big Willy Tukuafu?(Re-signed by Hawks)

Paschtorian

Reaction score
I do hope he re-signs with The Seahawks.

Of course I do have a soft spot for the guy, since he hangs out with Austin Maloata and my nephew Henry Mondeaux (both sophomore D-linemen for the Oregon Ducks, and roommates).

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah I like the guy and want him back next season, he made some errors in pass protection but equally absolutely nailed some line backers, as long as he doesn't have to move too much he does his job very well.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/583343844541911041[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think I'd have waited until tomorrow to announce it if I were him, but glad to see him back. He's good depth and competition on both sides of the ball.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kidhawk":6dkqfub3 said:
I think I'd have waited until tomorrow to announce it if I were him, but glad to see him back. He's good depth and competition on both sides of the ball.
You do have a point but that's probably why he posted on InstaGram to clarify it wasn't an April's Fool joke.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Good. I just love the idea of a big, bruising FB. I know SEA loves getting some ST utility from that position, but using an athletic finesse player as lead blocker just doesn't feel quite as right. Plus, Tukuafu gives you emergency DL depth.

It might be an upset at this point if SEA takes a back high in the draft. Lynch, Turbin, Michael, Coleman and Tukuafu will be hard to beat out.

Hawks46

Reaction score
YES !

I'm really happy with this signing. I'd like to know the actual stats, but with Tukuafu lead blocking, it seemed like we had a very high percentage of 3rd and short conversions. It doesn't hurt that he's serviceable DE depth; this makes up for him not playing on ST.

It's icing on the cake that he looked decent catching passes out of the backfield. It has to take the defense a bit by surprise that a 280 lb FB is out in the flat catching balls. I know if I was a CB, I'd be praying he was a decoy.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2vyvbj75 said:
Good. I just love the idea of a big, bruising FB. I know SEA loves getting some ST utility from that position, but using an athletic finesse player as lead blocker just doesn't feel quite as right. Plus, Tukuafu gives you emergency DL depth.

It might be an upset at this point if SEA takes a back high in the draft. Lynch, Turbin, Michael, Coleman and Tukuafu will be hard to beat out.

That's the real beauty of competition. No one on that list is completely safe to make the final roster, except future HoFer Marshawn Lynch.

Coleman vs. Tukuafu is certain to be a great battle. Can Coleman continue to improve as a lead blocker? Can Tukuafu improve his pass pro and develop more as a receiver? Competition will make both players better. And there are trade offs: stronger run blocking vs. a better receiving weapon. Possible special teamer vs. utility interior pass rusher.

Given the amazing depth of this RB class, we very well could add even more competition. The team recently visited Mike Davis, who is known to be a good blocker and could serve as either a backup RB (in Turbin's current role) or possibly as a fullback (Tukuafu's role from last season). Turbin, Michael, and a possible rookie might soon be engaged in their own heated battle for a roster spot.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":mfyqkhgi said:
kidhawk":mfyqkhgi said:
You do have a point but that's probably why he posted on InstaGram to clarify it wasn't an April's Fool joke.

Yes, but there's always going to be a little doubt because of the date

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TerryBlountESPN/status/583349507137642496[/tweet]

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What are the chances both Coleman and Tuku make the team?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":4n8t2iop said:

I wouldn't rule it out completely since Tuku doubles as DL depth and Coleman doubles as a top ST guy. Five backs is probably the limit for a 53-man roster though and sometimes they go with just four. So, certainly, it's no guarantee, especially if they grab a good back in the draft as hawknation pointed out.

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting Instagram after having noted that Will Tukuafu was no longer listed on yesterdays recently revised seahawk.com roster.

I am not a big fan of the inside zone and my perception of a higher incidence of roll up injuries.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
kidhawk":306e75m9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":306e75m9 said:
kidhawk":306e75m9 said:

Yes, but there's always going to be a little doubt because of the date

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TerryBlountESPN/status/583349507137642496[/tweet]

Terry Blount is an April Fools Joke anyways as a writer :lol: could never tell if he's serious about some of his breaking news

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":2qf7j668 said:
Hawk-Lock":2qf7j668 said:

This is my exact question.

I think there is a good chance Michael could be traded on draft day to help the Seahawks move up into the 2nd round.

Then you can keep Coleman the 3rd RB with Tukuafu at FB. Both players play FB, ST, and you can slide Tukuafu into DLine if needed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't like this all that much. What does he offer that Gilliam doesn't? Yeah he had a couple splash plays. I want a full back to be a real offensive threat.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Scottemojo":wmnvdbks said:
I don't like this all that much. What does he offer that Gilliam doesn't? Yeah he had a couple splash plays. I want a full back to be a real offensive threat.

Tuku is a dual threat. He had some decent pressure as a rotational guy at the end of a few games. Decent blocker, no threat as a pass catcher really.

I'm not a huge Coleman fan. I'd like a real FB to be drafted.