What's happening with Big Willy Tukuafu?(Re-signed by Hawks)

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The guy would have cleared the way for Marshawn's game winning super bowl 49 touchdown.

He'll do it again in super bowl 50.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":262drxme said:
Scottemojo":262drxme said:
I don't like this all that much. What does he offer that Gilliam doesn't? Yeah he had a couple splash plays. I want a full back to be a real offensive threat.

Tuku is a dual threat. He had some decent pressure as a rotational guy at the end of a few games. Decent blocker, no threat as a pass catcher really.

I'm not a huge Coleman fan. I'd like a real FB to be drafted.
Meh, if Coleman was playing that ridiculous pass to Lockett would have never happened given Tuku is a backup oddity at best.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":mpayom9r said:
XxXdragonXxX":mpayom9r said:
Scottemojo":mpayom9r said:
I don't like this all that much. What does he offer that Gilliam doesn't? Yeah he had a couple splash plays. I want a full back to be a real offensive threat.

Tuku is a dual threat. He had some decent pressure as a rotational guy at the end of a few games. Decent blocker, no threat as a pass catcher really.

Meh, if Coleman was playing that ridiculous pass to Lockett would have never happened given Tuku is a backup oddity at best.

Are you serious?

LOL.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2y3su6sv said:
MizzouHawkGal":2y3su6sv said:
XxXdragonXxX":2y3su6sv said:
Scottemojo":2y3su6sv said:

Are you serious?

LOL.
Yes. This is pure play the back up insanity. He's being paid nothing for a reason. And Coleman was being that actual double threat on offense, where an ACTUAL fullback plays right?

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2h1k5gw4 said:

Well they play different positions. I mean, I'd be all for having Gilliam compete there and see what happens, but I think the FO envisions Gilliam as a future LT. He has the tools to be a very good one, and I think they are intrigued to find out how well he responds to coaching.

Nice thing about Gilliam is that even if he fails as an OL, he could still develop into a good blocking TE, which Seattle is in short supply of.

I haven't watched enough of Tukuafu to give a fair opinion on his performance. My initial feeling about him is that he adds some intangible toughness to our offense much the same way Lynch does. He is almost like the perfect opposite of Coleman in many ways, and I think Coleman is pretty terrible most of the time.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I can see how easy it is disregard this signing as just camp fodder.

But I think people tend underestimate the value of some of these lower level signings.

First, I think initial value for guys like Tukuafu, Dobbs, Schilling, D'Anthony Smith, McCoy, and Schilling should be weighed against the prospects in the draft.

Its important not to put too much stock into these players but it's also silly to put no stock into them at all.

The guys listed have limited upside but they have experience and system know-how. So maybe they don't have great potential but they have considerably smaller learning curves, NFL ready strength and conditioning. Plus, you are also not gambling on development and transition.

Guys like them are probably better right now than most of the prospects you'd draft in 4th-UDFA rounds considering the strength of the draft at some of those particular positions.

It just helps the bottom-line on a Championship competitive team, and it really forces any rookie to really have to be on it and show consistent ability If they are to win a job.

Secondly, pertaining to this particular situation I think its wholly unfair to judge players like a Tukuafu (or Dobbs) who came from different schemes and had to learn the system on the fly.

Tukuafu was a FB in a Power Run scheme that SF ran, not only that but he was a free agent out of work the first month and half. So, coming to the ZBS especially at a time where the Offensive Line was in turmoil. Miller went I.R. Okung was rumored to be playing with a torn labrum. Carpenter and Unger were missing games. Britt was a struggling rookie. All that plus the Harvin aftermath.

I'm not going to annoit Tukuafu team savior but with an offense struggling with identity and trying to return to smashmouth, Tukuafu did his part in helping the Seahawks reestablish that identify as a hulking 6'4, 280 pound train wreck.

While he was hit or miss at times, the biggest factor was Lynch trusted him and they seemed to build chemistry fast. It also had great psychological affect having to go through the Hulk to get to the Beast.

Thirdly, while I think Tukuafu has little develop upside, he's in the same boat as Dobbs, both players have system and chemistry potential where they can improve play just by working the system to becoming 2nd nature rather than thinking and guessing. It will curb mental error and assignment mistakes.

Chemistry just comes naturally, it's hard being basically being a band-aid of a transplant from one team to another or off the street, especially when your former team happens to be your new team's biggest rival. But once player know and understand each other, build that trust and expectation to perform you can get improved results.

So I like that factor, of guys like Tukuafu and Dobbs growing into the system more and becoming Seahawks, and competing for a job and chance to remain with team, rather than them just being in season band-aids to patch up injuries.

sutz

Reaction score
There you go again, Pandeon, being all reasonable and thoughtful. :laugh:

I like the signing. Like it said upstream, it kind of puts a body in a hole on the roster, and allows more flexibility in the draft, not to mention camp competition.

It's April. We're just filling out the 90, so to speak. We'll know more after the draft. Some of these guys we're siging now may not get paid much more than whatever SB they got (if any) and per diem for making a mini camp or two.

And I do like that we are re-signing guys that are already familiar with the team and the system. Whether they make the team or not, that gives the coaches some room to concentrate on training the rooks, and less on training FA acquisitions. I call it a win-win.

Vetamur

Reaction score
kearly":1lrkph90 said:
Scottemojo":1lrkph90 said:

Well they play different positions. I mean, I'd be all for having Gilliam compete there and see what happens, but I think the FO envisions Gilliam as a future LT. He has the tools to be a very good one, and I think they are intrigued to find out how well he responds to coaching.

Nice thing about Gilliam is that even if he fails as an OL, he could still develop into a good blocking TE, which Seattle is in short supply of.

I haven't watched enough of Tukuafu to give a fair opinion on his performance. My initial feeling about him is that he adds some intangible toughness to our offense much the same way Lynch does. He is almost like the perfect opposite of Coleman in many ways, and I think Coleman is pretty terrible most of the time.

I agree with Kearly. I think Tukuafu has a bit more upside. Also, we know that JC and PC like guys with a unique skill set, and they must love the fact their FB can be an emergency defensive lineman.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Love this! Tukuafu blasts through the line and is a great 3rd down receiving threat because no one suspects him. I was surprised at how well he caught the ball last year, and how well he interviewed. That first interview last year was hilarious! :D

Plus his versatility of being able to sub in on the defensive line, when you can only activate 48 is it? I'd like to see Coleman cut if he doesn't improve in the off-season. Sure, he's a great story, but great stories don't win Lombardi's.

Get to work young man, your job is on the line, and fans (like me) are fickle. It's too bad Kiero Small isn't available. I thought he was going to be a great FB. Looks like he's a Raven now after spending last year with the Browns. Poor Cleveland, even fullbacks bail when given the chance :p

Yakov Smirnoff "In every country, they make fun of city; in U.S. you make fun of Cleveland; in Russia, we make fun of Cleveland."

Some good laughs: http://www.just-one-liners.com/ppl/yakov-smirnoff

ivotuk

Reaction score
Last October: "I love his (Marshawn) style of play," Tukuafu said. "I actually was on the defensive side my second year, when I was playing defense against him. To be on the opposite end of it, to be able to block for a guy like that – I've been fortunate enough to block for a guy like Frank Gore down there and other great running backs – to continue that is a blessing for me."

http://mynorthwest.com/704/2633632/Seah ... ll-Tukuafu

From last November:

He (Marshawn) told me the first day I came over here, 'You can do no wrong,' " Tukuafu recalled. "I'm like, 'What?' I'm like, 'So, how do you want me to attack this guy? You want my head on the outside?' He's like, 'Dude, just go hit him. We're going to race to see who can hit him first, so try to beat me there.' "

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
ivotuk":2lposdvf said:
From last November:

He (Marshawn) told me the first day I came over here, 'You can do no wrong,' " Tukuafu recalled. "I'm like, 'What?' I'm like, 'So, how do you want me to attack this guy? You want my head on the outside?' He's like, 'Dude, just go hit him. We're going to race to see who can hit him first, so try to beat me there.' "

I love Lynch and his whole philosophy. It's not science, just hit hard and fast.

kjreid

Reaction score
TUKU is cheap and he plays adequate at two positions along with some ST, Coleman is cheap plays FB and ST. As value goes both are great keeps. If the Hawks want a 'super" fullback then they will have to pay for a super fullback. as a fullback Tuku does good on initial contact but does not move to secondary targets (normally can't), is not a hands guy for situational offense but is a replacement rotation guy for the D-line.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/583762942962700288[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/583763025124929536[/tweet]
I would think expanding his role on offense would be mandatory.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Jville":3gxtz01t said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/583762942962700288[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/583763025124929536[/tweet]
I would think expanding his role on offense would be mandatory.

But, but, mizzouhawkbro said Tukuafu was worthless.