What's Up With Trent Dilfer?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Man, that guy is soooooo negative about the Hawks! Not because he picked the Saints last night, lots of people did, but because he always talks down about us in a mean, negative, hostile way. It's so bad and so unprofessional, it's a wonder ESPN doesn't boot him.

So did we screw him over when he was here or what?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure what his deal is, but it's definitely getting old.

Normally when analysts are wrong all the time you just chalk it up to ignorance or poor/lazy research (Skip Bayless), but in Dilfer's case he's been down the Hawks forever now and routinely picks against them. So something's going on.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Brunell is a hater too. So is Terry Bradshaw. But as for Frisco Trent Dildofer, most folks here think he's still butthurt over Hass beating him out as starter in the early 2000s. Who knows and who cares really. :229031_shrug: I do enjoy making fun of him however.

Polaris

Reaction score
tdlabrie":1dsetsym said:
Man, that guy is soooooo negative about the Hawks! Not because he picked the Saints last night, lots of people did, but because he always talks down about us in a mean, negative, hostile way. It's so bad and so unprofessional, it's a wonder ESPN doesn't boot him.

So did we screw him over when he was here or what?

I think it's a combination of several things:

1) He was never able to consistantly be "the Man" when he played for Seattle. He got the job when Hasselbeck got injured and then lost it again and never got it back. He then asked to be traded just before the 2005 season so he could "have a shot at being a starter" and blew it....and so lost out on his best chance for another ring. He then wound up being San Fran's backup for many years. I think how that went down still rankles a bit.

2) Apparently he and Matt (Hasselbeck) were best friends. From what I understand, the breakup between Hasselbeck and the Seahawks was a bit more acrimonious than was ever publically admitted by either side, and I have reason to think that Dilfer blames the current coaching staff and front office of "Doing the Nasty" with Hasselbeck. The fact that Seattle found it's next franchise QB that's already eclipsed Hasselbeck (and likely will eclipse all Seattle QBs on his current pace) so soon afterwards is just added bile. Dilfer does NOT like Wilson either (at least he consistantly underrates them).

3) Near as I can tell Dilfer is a 49ners fan. Enough said.

4) Finally, in response to some of this, the Seattle fandom has started treated Dilfer fairly badly regarding him as a traitor, and IMHO Dilfer has returned fire. That seldom ends well.

I will say this: IMHO Dilfer should just come out and admit that he has issues with the Seahawks rather than being passive-aggressive about it and somehow claim "I am just being a neutral observer. I can't win" plea he's been trotting out lately. Everyone knows better.

Polaris

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":4utldrto said:
Brunell is a hater too. So is Terry Bradshaw. But as for Frisco Trent Dildofer, most folks here think he's still butthurt over Hass beating him out as starter in the early 2000s. Who knows and who cares really. :229031_shrug: I do enjoy making fun of him however.

Brunell and Bradshaw are somewhat understandable since there is lingering bad blood between Seattle and Washington and the Steelers respectively.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I missed his post game comments. Did he say anything good about the Seahawks and Wilson?

Polaris

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2tylo7ud said:
Stick + Ass + Terrible "Advanced" Stat.

I often wonder if ESPN made "QBR" with it's terrible (and propriety and thus secret) "fudge factor" just to make Wilson look worse than he really is and Kaepernick to look better than he really is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":7hmlxld0 said:

How do you stay awake long enough to listen to Brunell finish a thought? Dude is human Ambien.

I do think there is some truth to now that there's a lot of animosity back and forth with Dilfer and the Hawks fanbase, that Dilfer is overcompensating by being hyper-critical of the Hawks. Kinda a pride thing's going on. Like if he starts liking the Hawks he's lost the battle, or people will think he's a homer.

Polaris

Reaction score
austinslater25":1ysrjvfs said:
I missed his post game comments. Did he say anything good about the Seahawks and Wilson?

He said he was wrong. Essentially he did the full mea culpa, but given that Steve Young was grilling him mercilessly, he almost had to.

BamKam

Reaction score
As someone who has a track record of being consistently wrong I am perfectly fine with Trent Dilfer having negative opinions/feelings towards us.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Brunell was actually drinking the Hawks kool aid pretty heavy last night after the game and actually called Jerome the butt Benice out when he talked about them being a fake.

Benice just hates the Hawks because he has a SB ring with a big stain on it that he can never remove, just a dick!

GO HAWKS!!!

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":h0b4j485 said:
I do think there is some truth to now that there's a lot of animosity back and forth with Dilfer and the Hawks fanbase, that Dilfer is overcompensating by being hyper-critical of the Hawks. Kinda a pride thing's going on. Like if he starts liking the Hawks he's lost the battle, or people will think he's a homer.

Interesting point about the last. I note that Sando was extremely critical (sometimes hypercritical) of the Seahawks for a quite a while to try to shed the idea of being a Seattle homer. However, it never seemed personal coming from Sando. It does seem personal with Dilfer.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Dilfer played for Fresno State. He's a California guy and I think he's a 49er fan.

With that said, I have heard Dilfer eat a lot of crow today. He has called himself "dumb" for not picking the Seahawks last night, says no one can beat the Seahawks in Seattle, and that he was "flat-out wrong" about the Seahawks.

Polaris

Reaction score
HawkFan72":13x3k5xl said:
Keep in mind that Dilfer played for Fresno State. He's a California guy and I think he's a 49er fan.

With that said, I have heard Dilfer eat a lot of crow today. He has called himself "dumb" for not picking the Seahawks last night, says no one can beat the Seahawks in Seattle, and that he was "flat-out wrong" about the Seahawks.

He did, but honestly after calling out the Seattle defense as OVERRATED FRAUDS, he had to. Bet you he picks San Fran this weekend.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Polaris":3qd0n3kk said:
HawkFan72":3qd0n3kk said:

He did, but honestly after calling out the Seattle defense as OVERRATED FRAUDS, he had to. Bet you he picks San Fran this weekend.

Well yeah that's almost a guarantee. After all, the 49ers have looked "amazing" the last few weeks and they are at home. Dilfer feels pretty cozy about that, I'm sure.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Dilfer during the pre-game said, "The Seahawks defense is going to get exposed today by Drew Breese". And to add lib, he went on to say that they haven't faced any good teams, and were almost taken down by St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

Which set up the after game interview where he said he was "dead wrong."

Hey I think it's great, just tweet that stuff to Earl Thomas, he will know what to do with those comments. :)

By the way Steve Young, former 49er, had nothing but great things to say about Russell Wilson. So you can be a former player of a current rival and still show class by giving props where they are due.

Polaris

Reaction score
Shock2k":16v5rdub said:
Dilfer during the pre-game said, "The Seahawks defense is going to get exposed today by Drew Breese". And to add lib, he went on to say that they haven't faced any good teams, and were almost taken down by St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

Which set up the after game interview where he said he was "dead wrong."

Hey I think it's great, just tweet that stuff to Earl Thomas, he will know what to do with those comments. :)

By the way Steve Young, former 49er, had nothing but great things to say about Russell Wilson. So you can be a former player of a current rival and still show class by giving props where they are due.

Which is essentially calling the Seattle defense "overrated frauds" and everyone on the ESPN crew knew that's what Dilfer was calling them.

Latest posts