Whelp, Ifedi is already being played some at Guard.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Jville":2c383811 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1024016583964778496[/tweet]

Lets be sure to ignore Bob Condotta's positive recognition of Isaiah Battle. It is just so hard to recognize anything positive from a tweet. And please avoid any references to the whole of what an offensive line coach might say. That would only rekindle another round of "coach speech" dismissals.

Junkies of ridicule unite. Nominations for ridicule are now open for 2018.

:34853_doh: Such a waste of an informative tweet.
We definitely shouldn't be ignoring the positive hidden in this tweet. From a pure physical tools perspective Battle has the potential to be an outstanding tackle. The knocks on him coming out of college were lack of anchor and that he didn't handle coaching, particularly hard coaching, well. The athletic ability and physical tools were there.

When Battle initially came over I was cautiously optimistic. The Seahawk culture and Pete's style seem to be a good fit for a guy like Battle. I also believe he was approximately 20 pounds heavier than his college playing weight.

From what we know of Solari and what he is looking for at each position, working Battle at RT hints at the possibility that the anchor issue is either reduced or no longer an issue. If Solari's coaching can be effective for Battle, this may turn into a great pickup for the team. I have been assuming the plan was to develop Battle at LT behind Brown for the next couple of years. If he is forcing his way onto the field that is a good thing. My interpretation of Battle working at RT with the first unit is that he has matured to the point that he is coachable, and gotten stronger with improved pad level.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":120bfmlm said:
Seymour":120bfmlm said:
Not sure about how bad Battle is, but I see nothing positive about him in that tweet. He was tried there but nothing about how he did or possible improvements that I can see?? Jville, would you please show us all this positivity about Battle in that tweet for those of us that read the actual words written? :?:

The fact that coaches want to get a "really good look" at a player with the first team offensive line is typically a positive indication for that player.

And if people were to learn to read beyond Twitter, they would have seen this positive review of Battle in Condotta's full published analysis of that day of practice:

As for Battle, he had some nice moments in the pass rush drills Monday and his size, well, stands out — at 6-7, he is the tallest of Seattle’s offensive lineman. During one drill Battle proved a too-imposing object for a blitzing Shaquem Griffin to get around, with Battle easily standing his ground and giving hand gesture appearing to let Griffin know about it afterward.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ning-camp/

Once again, the moral of the story is learn to read before you embarrass yourself by jumping to conclusions and attacking other posters with more knowledge than you.

Don't be ridiculous. :roll: The question was brought up about the tweet ONLY! Not some other article you go and dig up to prove a point that is solely based on your personal agenda.

Asking where is the positivity is not an attack, so drop the exaggerated drama.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm suddenly reminded that reading comprehension isn't something that is some kind of given right.

It's a skill that has to be pursued and built up by working at it.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Jville":1pccy3u7 said:
I'm suddenly reminded that reading comprehension isn't something that is some kind of given right.

It's a skill that has to be built up by working at it.

There has to be the willingness to go beyond 140 characters.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
As for the brief Ifedi move to right guard, my gut feeling tells me this is something Pete Carroll wanted to see, so that they are not just paying lip service to the idea of competition.

From Solari's comments, I think he sees the move as more of a contingency plan. He really likes D.J. Fluker at right guard. I haven't heard about Jordan Roos seeing any first team reps at right guard, even though Fluker has been limited by injury. I'm sure they also wanted to see Battle with the first team just in case Ifedi gets hurt.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
We have all seen Ifedi play guard and tackle for the last two years but Solari hasn't seen him play these positions in person. Sure, he's seen tape but that was of Cable's scheme. Solari wants to see Ifedi play RG in person and in his scheme. I don't think this is a huge deal for a new coach with a new scheme to want to see how players work at different positions in that scheme.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Let Solari do his job and let's see how it plays out. I'd rather he looks at all possibilities until he ultimately decides who the starting 5 are going to be.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1xc7oph4 said:
Exactly. Let Solari do his job and let's see how it plays out. I'd rather he looks at all possibilities until he ultimately decides who the starting 5 are going to be.

I'd much rather do like Cable and leave them in 1 spot until the regular season. Then start playing musical linemen in real games and have it figured out by week 10. :2thumbs: :snack:

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3a2pjho2 said:
Jville":3a2pjho2 said:

It's a skill that has to be built up by working at it.

There has to be the willingness to go beyond 140 characters.

There also has to be a willingness to correlate sources of information and make some useful sense of it.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seems like this was about getting a look at Battle at RT as opposed to be being about moving Ifedi to Guard.

Someone is going to need to be the backup RT. Whoever that is should probably get some reps at that position.

toffee

Reaction score
It's interesting that Solari played Battle at RT instead of our rookie Jones. Any Jamarco Jones sightings?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
toffee":36zi13cp said:
It's interesting that Solari played Battle at RT instead of our rookie Jones. Any Jamarco Jones sightings?

Jamarco Jones has been playing 2nd team LT. Jones could be competing with George Fant for that role. Eventually, they will mix it up with Jones playing some guard and Fant playing some RT.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":39142kxp said:
sutz":39142kxp said:
:34853_doh: 4 days in and every move is some kind of a definitive statement of player quality? :34853_doh:
Okay, here is the deal. Ifedi is not some new player we haven't seen in the NFL yet, like say Penny, or Griffin. He has been on this team for several years. In each one of those years he looked horrid, one could say that he was the worst lineman on the team last year. That is a pretty large indicative of his quality. He is a bad player until he is able to prove otherwise.

One could say Ifedi “was the worst lineman on the team last year,” and that may be the perception of some due primarily to social media, but it’s not an accurate reflection of the reality.

Mark Glowinski played poorly enough that he was outright released. Luke Joeckel played himself out of the NFL. Oday Aboushi was arguably worse, with incredibly slow feet, and was replaced by an undersized rookie learning a new position. That rookie was Ethan Pocic, who was consistently outmuscled and outquicked, while adjusting to playing guard at the NFL level. Pocic was one of the lowest graded linemen in the league by PFF. The lowest graded lineman in all of the NFL was Rees Odhiambo, who spent quite a bit of time flat on his back before going on IR. And then we could talk about all the linemen who barely played or weren’t good enough to make the game day rosters.

Ifedi was actually our 3rd highest graded lineman, but there was quite a gulf between Brown/Britt and him, and that says all you need to know about how bad our line was last season, particularly before they traded for Brown.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":j8oeefbb said:
Spin Doctor":j8oeefbb said:
sutz":j8oeefbb said:
:34853_doh: 4 days in and every move is some kind of a definitive statement of player quality? :34853_doh:
Okay, here is the deal. Ifedi is not some new player we haven't seen in the NFL yet, like say Penny, or Griffin. He has been on this team for several years. In each one of those years he looked horrid, one could say that he was the worst lineman on the team last year. That is a pretty large indicative of his quality. He is a bad player until he is able to prove otherwise.

One could say Ifedi “was the worst lineman on the team last year,” and that may be the perception of some due primarily to social media, but it’s not an accurate reflection of the reality.

Mark Glowinski played poorly enough that he was outright released. Luke Joeckel played himself out of the NFL. Oday Aboushi was arguably worse, with incredibly slow feet, and was replaced by an undersized rookie learning a new position. That rookie was Ethan Pocic, who was consistently outmuscled and outquicked, while adjusting to playing guard at the NFL level. Pocic was one of the lowest graded linemen in the league by PFF. The lowest graded lineman in all of the NFL was Rees Odhiambo, who spent quite a bit of time flat on his back before going on IR. And then we could talk about all the linemen who barely played or weren’t good enough to make the game day rosters.

Ifedi was actually our 3rd highest graded lineman, but there was quite a gulf between Brown/Britt and him, and that says all you need to know about how bad our line was last season, particularly before they traded for Brown.

The fact that Cable thought Glowinski was starting material says a lot about his talent evaluation. I agree with you Ifedi is descent minus the false starts that's what's killing him and the team. Joeckel was putrid.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I've seen a few clips of Battle hitting bags in workouts and camp, and I am still frustrated by his lack of pop or physicality. His quick feet and length are intriguing, but we have seen in the past with players like Bradley Sowell that it is difficult to teach physicality and finishing blocks. Of course, I would love to see any player takeover at RT, so Ifedi can move inside, where he is much better suited.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Day 5 ...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1024354141466816512[/tweet]

HawkGA

Reaction score
If Cable were here, Ifedi would have currently gotten time at LT, LG, and C. So in the grand scheme of things, this isn't really that big of a deal. One thing I've liked is that the lines have largely been stable so far in camp.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1tl9ukur said:
From a pure physical tools perspective Battle has the potential to be an outstanding tackle. The knocks on him coming out of college were lack of anchor and that he didn't handle coaching, particularly hard coaching, well. The athletic ability and physical tools were there.

Guys been in the league for 3 years now and this is his 3rd team. Potential to be an outstanding tackle? Thats laughable. Wonder why the Rams and KC didnt see this potential.

From what we know of Solari and what he is looking for at each position, working Battle at RT hints at the possibility that the anchor issue is either reduced or no longer an issue. If Solari's coaching can be effective for Battle, this may turn into a great pickup for the team. I have been assuming the plan was to develop Battle at LT behind Brown for the next couple of years. If he is forcing his way onto the field that is a good thing. My interpretation of Battle working at RT with the first unit is that he has matured to the point that he is coachable, and gotten stronger with improved pad level.

How many LT's are we going to have? Besides our starter Brown, we now have the rookie Jones, Fant, and now Battle? Somebody else mentioned that Solari really wanted Ifedi at RG, but if thats the case, where does that leave Fluker?

Honestly, Solari realizes at this point what kind of a dumpster fire he's dealing with in our Oline and is just trying people out to see if they are worth keeping or not. Thats all Battle seeing the field means. Its early in training camp, but lets hope Solari weeds out the chaff so the rest can be established at their positions and not jumping around during half the training camp.