Reasons for Optimism in the O-line.

Seymour

Reaction score
jdemps":3pnxn6ow said:
Seymour":3pnxn6ow said:
jdemps":3pnxn6ow said:
SoulfishHawk":3pnxn6ow said:
Getting better at pass blocking, but run blocking......holy hell

I'm not entirely sold on the fact that the run blocking isn't better than we give it credit for.
My eyes saw holes that RBs could run through, but Eddie Lacy takes so long to get there, it closes up and he just falls over.

Let me help.

This guy was our worst back this year (according to our staff) early in the year and was let go. He now averages 4.9 YPC and is the #13 rusher in the NFL.

That points squarely at the oline being the main problem.

Alex Collins didn't really get a fair shot this year because we had so many guys and the team obviously didn't want to give up on its big investment (Lacy), the glass man (Prosise), or Thomas Rawls (who's can't read his blocking, just broken). AC had the third most rushing yards for the team this preseason behind Mike Davis and Chris Carson in 3 preseason games. They cut both Mike Davis and AC. Hindsight is 20/20.

Wow, that is your answer?

It was Collins 2nd season here for crying out loud. Do we practice? Do our coaches have eyes? Does Bevell, Pete, and Cable not evaluate the talent in camp and all of last season and this pre season?

If that is your real answer, there will be no convincing you where to look for a solution to the running game issue.

chris98251

Reaction score
Different backs need different schemes to be successful, we need a back that can be full speed in one step and go sideways at the same time and turn it up. Collins, Lacy, Ware were backs that are north and south guys that do better in power schemes where the hole isn't a moving target, having a FB as a lead blocker to have the first guy miss so to speak because he is blocked is also a big help, that's how Rawls was so successful with Reese in.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":2wkm2n70 said:
Different backs need different schemes to be successful, we need a back that can be full speed in one step and go sideways at the same time and turn it up. Collins, Lacy, Ware were backs that are north and south guys that do better in power schemes where the hole isn't a moving target, having a FB as a lead blocker to have the first guy miss so to speak because he is blocked is also a big help, that's how Rawls was so successful with Reese in.

Guess again.

http://cover32.com/2017/04/24/ravens-zone-scheme-running-backs/

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Seymour":1o68thck said:
jdemps":1o68thck said:
jdemps":1o68thck said:

I'm not entirely sold on the fact that the run blocking isn't better than we give it credit for.
My eyes saw holes that RBs could run through, but Eddie Lacy takes so long to get there, it closes up and he just falls over.

Let me help.

This guy was our worst back this year (according to our staff) early in the year and was let go. He now averages 4.9 YPC and is the #13 rusher in the NFL.

Alex Collins didn't really get a fair shot this year because we had so many guys and the team obviously didn't want to give up on its big investment (Lacy), the glass man (Prosise), or Thomas Rawls (who's can't read his blocking, just broken). AC had the third most rushing yards for the team this preseason behind Mike Davis and Chris Carson in 3 preseason games. They cut both Mike Davis and AC. Hindsight is 20/20.

It was Collins 2nd season here for crying out loud. Do we practice? Do our coaches have eyes? Does Bevell, Pete, and Cable not evaluate the talent in camp and all of last season and this pre season?

If that is your real answer, there will be no convincing you where to look for a solution to the running game issue.

Lacy can't fit through a "massive crease". He needs the massive crevasse variety.

So you say this in another thread but can't understand when my point that it's better than we give it credit for. I didn't say it was good. My point was that it would look better with different/better RBs. Would Alex Collins succeed behind this line? Maybe. He tended to dance behind the line like Eddie Lacy a lot but he's no doubt quicker than Eddie Lacy by leaps and bounds, so I'd give him a much higher likelihood of success than ol' China Food.

Also, statements such as "Wow, that is your answer?" are edging toward a personal affront to my intelligence. Attack the post, not the poster.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's very obvious that the O-line is better now with Brown and Joeckel, but;

1. There was nowhere to go but up.
2. How long is this going to last?

Are we bringing Joeckel back and trying to sign Brown to a long term deal in the off season? Cause those are BOTH risky scenarios, what with Joeckel's injury history and Brown's age.

I don't think we have a choice, but am I now optimistic that our O-line woes are solved? Nope, cause we've band-aided it with high priced FA's, and not the correct way, through the draft with young talented linemen with upside that can play together for the next 7 years.

Seymour

Reaction score
jdemps":17il2zhx said:
Seymour":17il2zhx said:
jdemps":17il2zhx said:
Let me help.

Lacy can't fit through a "massive crease". He needs the massive crevasse variety.

So you say this in another thread but can't understand when my point that it's better than we give it credit for. I didn't say it was good. My point was that it would look better with different/better RBs. Would Alex Collins succeed behind this line? Maybe. He tended to dance behind the line like Eddie Lacy a lot but he's no doubt quicker than Eddie Lacy by leaps and bounds, so I'd give him a much higher likelihood of success than ol' China Food.

Also, statements such as "Wow, that is your answer?" are edging toward a personal affront to my intelligence. Attack the post, not the poster.

"That is your answer?" is about the post. "Didn't have a fair shot" in year 2 is why, and I explained that. Weird.

I'm done here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":1h6cd1te said:
chris98251":1h6cd1te said:

Guess again.

http://cover32.com/2017/04/24/ravens-zone-scheme-running-backs/

It states there are different types and that it is favored for teams that offensive lines that are not all maulers.

This goes back to the agility good feet aspect of players, we have slow and big maulers and try to use the ZBS, Maulers are for a power run scheme.

Also it says that they don't have to move but further down says if nobody in their gap have to go wall off at the next level, which is it?

Leee-roy

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3ojylls8 said:
O-Line sucks. No amount of stats are going to tell me otherwise.

THEY SUCK

Yup! It doesn't matter who the running back is either.
This has been my pet peeve for the last 3 years.
Russ has no time to make a second and third read from the pocket.
Even if he has time, he's so jumpy from having to run all the time, that he's watching for the jailbreak.