When will Santa Clara win a game in their new stadium?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3c3eswfx said:
Marvin49":3c3eswfx said:
Still sitting in the seats here at Levi's so will have to watch later, but initial thoughts?

...OMG that was a lot of penalties (no idea if they were good calls or not) and Colin had himself a horrific game.

Hey Marvin, serious question: did they ever sort out the transpiration problems or does it still take forever and a day to get home after a game?

Can't speak to it. I hear some got out easy and some were stuck for awhile depending on what lot they were in.

I work nearby in a badged access garage, so I park there and walk and I never hit an ounce of traffic. Then again its 1.3 miles away.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":s817ocbx said:
Shadowhawk":s817ocbx said:
Marvin49":s817ocbx said:
Still sitting in the seats here at Levi's so will have to watch later, but initial thoughts?

...OMG that was a lot of penalties (no idea if they were good calls or not) and Colin had himself a horrific game.

Hey Marvin, serious question: did they ever sort out the transpiration problems or does it still take forever and a day to get home after a game?

Adding on: Marvin, how'd the field seem to hold up? It looked fine from the broadcast, but I couldn't get wider, consistent view you had from the stadium.

It got kinda chewed up especially down the middle, but that's always going to happen.

The problem with the old field is that once the divots were stamped down the field wouldn't rebound. The divots wouldn't take so the conditions just got worse and worse and even over time left alone never improved. This was all about the soil underneath the sod.

Apparently that's not an issue now as the field rebounded nicely from the soccer match. My guess is it won't be an issue because it'll have another two weeks to rebound and settle before the next game there.

Largent80

Reaction score
Once again, Field Turf....But NO, we can't have something that actually works.

This time, it bit you.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":2jende64 said:
Once again, Field Turf....But NO, we can't have something that actually works.

This time, it bit you.

?

How so?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":g95ijm8n said:
?

How so?
I'm not really sure where he's going with this regarding last night's game in your house either, lol. Curious to see the correlation. I mean, the issues all through the preseason were funny, but it didn't seem like there were any problems with it last night as far as I could tell.

Largent80

Reaction score
OK Marvin, just keep losing on your precious grass.......Buuuuaaaaahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa........HA

Largent80

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22low9s6 said:
Marvin49":22low9s6 said:
?

How so?
I'm not really sure where he's going with this regarding last night's game in your house either, lol. Curious to see the correlation. I mean, the issues all through the preseason were funny, but it didn't seem like there were any problems with it last night as far as I could tell.

And it wasn't hot at the San Diego game either. IYO.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":kyv6w4nq said:
...if it wasn't absolutely ruining the game of football.

The game was just brutal to watch. Every play, flags thrown. If this continues, I'm certainly going to become less and less interested in the NFL.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RationalNiner":zm8odnp1 said:
The_Z_Man":zm8odnp1 said:

The game was just brutal to watch. Every play, flags thrown. If this continues, I'm certainly going to become less and less interested in the NFL.
The vast majority of the flags were legitimately thrown. Text your BFF Harbaugh and tell him to get a bit more discipline into his players.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That Bears offense is no joke. Their defense is pretty wretched though.

Roman and Bevell are cut from the same cloth. When they're on .. they are ON.. but when they are off.. you see Kaep throwing it over and over and Lynch getting 6 carries.

That said, San Fran better be careful.. Arizona can beat them and Philly's offense would give their banged up defense a LOT of problems. This team could very well be 1-3 in a couple of weeks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2tu990zv said:
That Bears offense is no joke. Their defense is pretty wretched though.

Roman and Bevell are cut from the same cloth. When they're on .. they are ON.. but when they are off.. you see Kaep throwing it over and over and Lynch getting 6 carries.

That said, San Fran better be careful.. Arizona can beat them and Philly's offense would give their banged up defense a LOT of problems. This team could very well be 1-3 in a couple of weeks.
As Picard always said.."Make it so number 1".

RationalNiner

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2sw8mqzb said:
RationalNiner":2sw8mqzb said:
The_Z_Man":2sw8mqzb said:

The vast majority of the flags were legitimately thrown. Text your BFF Harbaugh and tell him to get a bit more discipline into his players.

I don't come from the perspective that the refs are out to get us or anything like that. I think the game is over officiated in general, and it is starting to make me less interested in the NFL. I love watching games from the 70s and 80s and prefer that to the current product.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Largent80":17rte9dg said:
If our all pro safety Earl Thomas says the heat was a huge effect, and since I was there, Ima going with Earl.

You know it's hot when you go to a vendor, order two beers and two waters only to have him set 2 beers on the counter and shrug when you ask about the water...

WAS. FREAKING. HOT.

No idea how those guys were actually running in pads and dark jerseys without passing out after 10 yards. I'll chalk this one up to a perfect storm and move on.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RationalNiner":15umu8mv said:
I love watching games from the 70s and 80s and prefer that to the current product.
The players that now enjoy significantly better quality of life after retirement due to increased player safety compared to that era would probably disagree...At least, they will after they retire after having spent their whole careers complaining about the No Fun League. ;)

RationalNiner

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":c5w3bywv said:
RationalNiner":c5w3bywv said:
I love watching games from the 70s and 80s and prefer that to the current product.
The players that now enjoy significantly better quality of life after retirement due to increased player safety compared to that era would probably disagree...At least, they will after they retire after having spent their whole careers complaining about the No Fun League. ;)

Troll

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was actually being serious, while also pointing out that it's a bit hypocritical how many players complain about not being able to "hit" or "be physical", while threatening to go on strike if safety isn't increased during negotiations time. *shrug*

RationalNiner

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":qsya15ht said:
I was actually being serious, while also pointing out that it's a bit hypocritical how many players complain about not being able to "hit" or "be physical", while threatening to go on strike if safety isn't increased during negotiations time. *shrug*

Even if you were, it doesn't change that the actual game was better before as far as just watching the overall product. When you watch the NFL now, about 70% of the game is dedicated to refs throwing flags and reviewing plays. It's not something I'm very fond of.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm not old enough to remember that era, to be honest. I was born in 1982. The rise of passing that started in the late 80s/early 90s is what I started with. I mean, I know in general terms what you're referring to, but I don't have the same perspective on it...But we've all seen the aftermath of the style of play from the 70s and 80s, and it had to stop.

NINEster

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30bo6tyj said:
I'm not old enough to remember that era, to be honest. I was born in 1982. The rise of passing that started in the late 80s/early 90s is what I started with. I mean, I know in general terms what you're referring to, but I don't have the same perspective on it...But we've all seen the aftermath of the style of play from the 70s and 80s, and it had to stop.

With respect to downfield contact, that was the norm in the old days and if everybody is on point with that (not just 2012/2013 Seattle) then it's all good and a better product.

It is Peyton Manning's fault, two times now. The Super Bowl wasn't the first time this came up.

Sometime around 2003-2004 (maybe earlier), Bill Polian complained to the NFL that the Patriots DBs were too physical and rough making it hard for the golden boy. So there is a noticeable difference between the passing game now and say 2002.

As far as physical punishment is concerned, I've seen the counter argument that if you can slow a receiver down a bit he will probably be less susceptible to some of the bigger hits than when he's roaming free.

It's a bit of gray area. Of course it's nice to show concern for player's health, but I don't know if there's any real proof we are going to legislate the game to a point where we can eliminate all health risks. It would be like trying to protect boxers from getting hit in the head.

If anybody is really serious about CTE, maybe we go back to leather helmets so nobody can lead with the head, EVER. Maybe Brandon Jacobs is still in the league because he doesn't get his thigh smashed into by a helmet in a pre-season game.

The reality is we live in a more litigious society, and marketing unfortunately trumps all else.

The NFL doesn't truly give a s**** about player safety.....only enough to protect itself from lawsuits and maybe public perception.

The average lukewarm "fan" prefers 51-45 Cardinals/Packers versus 23-17 Seahawks/49ers.

Those are the realities of the game today.