Which WRs Do We Keep?

umadbrolob

Reaction score
Preseason will settle things. Norwood probably will end up with a slot, but I'd take the receiver Price who Wilson says is always where he needs to be, has more, although limited, experience and runs between 4.3-4.4 (when you Google). And I just don't buy that he won't stay on PS after cuts and w/ WR deep draft and being 5 rd pick.

General Manager

Reaction score
umadbrolob":1uaxf1wn said:
1. Harvin
2. Baldwin
3. PRich
4. Kearse
5. Taylor Price
6. Lockette
Norwood ps, Rice PUP

Norwood has looked good in camp and he has a lot of talent he will be on the roster, Dave Wyman was at all these mini camp and OTA's and he said Norwood has looked very good . He also said Richardson looks more like a project then a day 1 starter. Rice will not see the PUP if he can't play he will be cut .

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1dez4z70 said:
Rewatch our run through the playoffs and Super Bowl. Lockette made some very clutch, key plays for us in those games, and not just on special teams. And word is, he's only getting better.

Lockette did not have *any* clutch, key plays in the playoff run and Super Bowl.

Lockette had *one* catch (in two targets) during that period...an easy, extremely catchable 19-yard pass that Wilson put right on the numbers towards the end of the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl. It was on 2nd down and 9 yards to go and it was not a clutch play.

Fans are greatly exaggerating Ricardo's special teams value. He had two tackles during the post season, both in the Super Bowl.

One of them *looked* spectacular - because he hit the returner right when he caught it - but really does not say anything about his special teams coverage ability. The Seahawks special teams are so well coached that all their gunners are great and will continue to be great with or without Lockette. Lockette doesn't have enough sample points. Both Lane and Kearse showed more at the gunner position last season.

Lockette has very marginal football skills and has not shown much improvement since 2011. Not surprisingly, he has been a very marginal player in the NFL with seven career catches in three seasons. He has spent much of his career on practice squads, and last year (in 2013) was cut from the practice squads of both the 49ers and Bears, after the Seahawks cut him from their practice squad in 2012. I am not sure why some fans think that this very definition of an NFL marginal player is so good that he will beat out Sidney Rice or two very promising, very talented, very skilled rookies in Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood.

Putting an unskilled, marginal player like Lockette even remotely in the same category as Sidney Rice is beyond ignorant. Rice is a top-notch NFL receiver who the Seahawks are getting at a bargain basement discount this season. Unless his recovery is much worse than most players with equivalent injuries - and there is no reason to think it will be - Rice is a solid lock to make the team at the beginning of the season or when he comes off The PUP list.

Both rookies, from their college performances and from practice reports so far, are better and have much better potential than Lockette. They both have far, far, far superior football skills compared to Lockette.

Lockette has had his chances. Unless Rice is on PUP and there is at least one other injury, Ricardo Lockette will not make the team, and even then it's questionabke whether he will beat out Matthews or Price.

Anthony!

Reaction score
General Manager":164iity2 said:
umadbrolob":164iity2 said:
1. Harvin
2. Baldwin
3. PRich
4. Kearse
5. Taylor Price
6. Lockette
Norwood ps, Rice PUP

Norwood has looked good in camp and he has a lot of talent he will be on the roster, Dave Wyman was at all these mini camp and OTA's and he said Norwood has looked very good . He also said Richardson looks more like a project then a day 1 starter. Rice will not see the PUP if he can't play he will be cut .

Hmm at is funny Wyman was on KJR saying Richardson looked really good. The reality is neither Richardson or Norwood are going to start, you are looking at wr 4-6 positions with 1-3 locked up by Harvin, Baldwin and Kearse, everyone is saying Rice will not be ready for the first game so PUP makes sense. So here is who is left

88 Bates, Phil WR 6-1 220 24 3 Ohio
14 Clark, Arceto WR 5-10 180 24 2 Mississippi State
83 Lockette, Ricardo WR 6-2 211 28 4 Fort Valley State
13 Matthews, Chris WR 6-5 218 24 1 Kentucky
81 Norwood, Kevin WR 6-2 199 24 R Alabama
16 Price, Taylor WR 6-1 195 26 5 Ohio U.
Smith, Kevin WR 5-11 214 R Washington
19 Walters, Bryan WR 6-0 190 26 5 Cornell

given Kearse at 6-1 is the biggest of the 3 who are locks, we need some size

I think Norwood is a lock at 6-2 and plays even bigger
Richardson is next to me speed kills
then it depends Price at 6-1 could be good but its year 5 for him, lockette maybe but he has shown little and in year 4, 6-5 Matthews maybe, Bates maybe

Right now I think I would like Price, Matthews or Lockett, 2 have size and speed and the 3rd extra size. I think if Richards is kept you go with Matthews or Price. I just have seen enough of Lockette to feel like he is not going to get any better, given his speed and how decimated we were last year if the Hawks felt good about him he would have played more.

I mean Walter has 5 years and still nothing, smith is a rookie but 5-11 we have those already, Clark 5-10, bates in year 3 and still nothing.

Yeah the more I think about it Harvin and Richardson with speed, Baldwin with his shiftiness and Norwood and Kearse with size is a good 5 some and add in either of the Price, Matthews duo, if Price we might be able to get Matthews on the PS.

chris98251

Reaction score
chris98251 wrote:
Kearse's catch during Championship game for a Touchdown was nothing then as well,

The TD was great, but if you want teams to take that into consideration, then they're also going to take into consideration the fumble he had in that same game. It ended up not mattering, but it could have been disastrous.

also they were undrafted so comp picks would be almost nothing since they were undrafted, why you put the tender on them when they become eligible to put a value there. Baldwins was set at a second round tender. Kearse we would get nothing for since he is still set as a UDFA.

Sounds like you don't know how compensatory picks are awarded. Per Wikipedia, the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. It has nothing to do with their draft position. If he walks and other teams value him as much as you think they should, it will be reflected in the compensatory pick.

So you think a UDFA is making a drafted players salary? his playing time is in a WR rotation so it will average to what our team does, post season I think he covered that well. Dont forget special teams. He can return kicks if asked. We would get less in a comp pick versus a straight trade.

Also I didn't have to go to Wikipedia to look it up and try to belittle someone else. I call it common sense.

Rk Player Salary (US$)
49 Jermaine Kearse $480,000

Jermaine Kearse signed a 3 year / $1.44 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including an annual average salary of $480,000.
CONTRACT:3 yr(s) / $1,440,000 SIGNING BONUS - AVERAGE SALARY $480,000 GUARANTEED:- FREE AGENT:2015 / Restricted
YEAR BASE SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS OPTION BONUS WORKOUT BONUS RESTRUC. BONUS INCENTIVE CAP HIT DEAD
2012 390,000 - - - - - - 390,000 -
2013 480,000 - - - - - - 480,000 -
2014 570,000 - - - - - - 570,000 -

2013 Season
REC YDS TD
22 346 4
Career
25 377 4

I think he has made an argument in his play that other teams might like.

Perfundle

Reaction score
chris98251":1dgmdj8a said:
So you think a UDFA is making a drafted players salary?
Yes, I do. Teams care about your performance, not your draft position.

Also I didn't have to go to Wikipedia to look it up and try to belittle someone else. I call it common sense.
Stop being so sensitive. I went to Wikipedia because I didn't know the exact details myself, and no one's belittling you. And common sense says that teams don't give up mid-round draft picks for one year of so-so production. They're confident enough to believe they can get someone just as good.

I don't know why you're so insistent that Kearse should or could be traded. Here are the arguments against that:

Harvin and Rice are known to be injury-prone, and its unclear if Rice will even be ready for the start of the regular season, so Seattle should keep as much WR talent as they can.
Wide receiver is a position that is traditionally very difficult to master in the first year, especially for a team that doesn't give their receivers many targets to help refine their skills, so relying on rookies is not a good idea for championship contenders.
Kearse has only one year of so-so production under him, and his playoff run, while impressive, was also filled with its share of crucial mistakes.
He isn't particularly exceptional in any area. He isn't insanely quick, particularly shifty, noticeably tall, or an exceptional route runner. His skill set isn't very versatile so far either, being mainly used as an intermediate/deep target.

And that's just for Kearse. Trading Baldwin, Seattle's best receiver from last year, after losing their second-best receiver, would be even more crazy.