Whiners v Lambs

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The 49ers defense is definitely for real. As is their running game when healthy. Garoppolo, however, is going through the growing pains of learning how to read a live NFL defense (he’s been in the league but has barely played); all the 49ers need is for him to complete the easy passes and not do stupid crap. If he cuts out the routine dumb throws I will no longer be worried.

All of this is as I called it a couple weeks ago, except it appears the 49ers defense is better than I thought.

I am starting to worry about Gould though. Maybe age is catching up to him. Maybe it’s the snapper and rookie holder. But it’s concerning to me.

Maulbert

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":23z8s2k2 said:
The 49ers defense is definitely for real. As is their running game when healthy. Garoppolo, however, is going through the growing pains of learning how to read a live NFL defense (he’s been in the league but has barely played); all the 49ers need is for him to complete the easy passes and not do stupid crap. If he cuts out the routine dumb throws I will no longer be worried.

All of this is as I called it a couple weeks ago, except it appears the 49ers defense is better than I thought.

I am starting to worry about Gould though. Maybe age is catching up to him. Maybe it’s the snapper and rookie holder. But it’s concerning to me.

Maybe. I would've rather have Gould the last 2 years on the Hawks than either Blair Walsh or grandpa Janikowski.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
rlkats":2awcbq3w said:
UK_Seahawk":2awcbq3w said:
Awful lot of defensive holding not called. Ward had 2 on back to back ram passes.

Hahaha ya sure they did. I guess your hate for the niners cleverly ignored all the holding on the Oline for the rams

Ive given up on the rams ever being called for offensive holding.

Marvin49

Reaction score
It was pretty clear that McVay was terrified of the 49ers pass rush. Nothing but runs and screen passes for most of the game.

To be fair, same can be said for Shanahan, but I think that had a lot more to do with starting their 4th and 5th string tackles.

Aaron Donald is still a game wrecker.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1183548071076085760[/tweet]

Goff lit it up. :shock:

If it isn't obvious already, he cannot be effective unless he is surrounded by great everything, especially an O-Line. Without that you might as well roll out a trashcan to play QB.

2F240 F 62849350 Svi2gWcXQHeE2D8AZHkA0Rloqwfnc1Hv

I found a picture of Goff & Gurley having a nice conversation before the game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rlkats":1ytwozjf said:
Very good defensive game. Both good teams. Jimmy looks fine minus a couple bonehead throws. our kicking game is sucking butt. Hopefully this game dont come down to a field goal needed. I have no faith.
A couple bonehead throws can lose a lot of games.

Washington49er

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ro84m8t said:
rlkats":1ro84m8t said:
Very good defensive game. Both good teams. Jimmy looks fine minus a couple bonehead throws. our kicking game is sucking butt. Hopefully this game dont come down to a field goal needed. I have no faith.

Everyone keeps pointing out the mistakes Jimmy makes but leave out a lot of mistakes the 49er receivers make. Coleman drop a walk in TD pass, had a couple of other big chunk passes on the money dropped. Gould missed a FG. This could've had easily been a huge blow out game for Jimmy

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2s6tqxuo said:
rlkats":2s6tqxuo said:

True....but I keep sayin it....the dude is almost like a rookie. He's only got 15 NFL starts.

He's 13-2 in those starts, so yeah, I'll take it.

Under Shanahan, Niners are 11-2 when he starts and 4-20 when he doesn't. Wins aren't always a great indicator, but its really hard to argue with that disparity.

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":14hasyl6 said:
RolandDeschain":14hasyl6 said:
rlkats":14hasyl6 said:

Everyone keeps pointing out the mistakes Jimmy makes but leave out a lot of mistakes the 49er receivers make. Coleman drop a walk in TD pass, had a couple of other big chunk passes on the money dropped. Gould missed a FG. This could've had easily been a huge blow out game for Jimmy

Would of and could of's, we could have had 3 Trophy's if.

49er's could have had one on the other hand if not for a bad light switch I am sure you all think also.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Washington49er":2zlcks86 said:
RolandDeschain":2zlcks86 said:
rlkats":2zlcks86 said:

Yes, Niners are 5-0 and haven't played close to a perfect game. Unforced turnovers, dropped passes, fumbles....they have beaten every opponent but one by at least two scores and in the one they turned the ball over 5 times.

So this can go a couple of ways: They can truck the league when they eliminate the mistakes, or those critical mistakes will really cost them when it matters most. We'll see.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":q7qtkk8h said:
Washington49er":q7qtkk8h said:
RolandDeschain":q7qtkk8h said:
rlkats":q7qtkk8h said:

Would of and could of's, we could have had 3 Trophy's if.

49er's could have had one on the other hand if not for a bad light switch I am sure you all think also.

….I get yer point but the bad light switch HELPED them nearly pull off the comeback, not the other way around. :D

Threedee

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1t8ucznl said:

I recall a douchier, more irritating, Niners QB who went through the growing pains of reading defenses, and suddenly stopped growing. Jimmy will likely develop more adequately.

Kickers not named Adam Venitieri tend to be shells of their former selves when they leave their former franchises. That's why we cleverly grabbed Myers, who was never really that good to begin with.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Fade":336ysxnb said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1183548071076085760[/tweet]

Goff lit it up. :shock:

If it isn't obvious already, he cannot be effective unless he is surrounded by great everything, especially an O-Line. Without that you might as well roll out a trashcan to play QB.

2F240 F 62849350 Svi2gWcXQHeE2D8AZHkA0Rloqwfnc1Hv

I found a picture of Goff & Gurley having a nice conversation before the game.

That's not fair to Gurley. He was really good. Too bad the Rams fed him into the meat grinder and ruined him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Threedee":2yw7oepy said:
5_Golden_Rings":2yw7oepy said:

I recall a douchier, more irritating, Niners QB who went through the growing pains of reading defenses, and suddenly stopped growing. Jimmy will likely develop more adequately.

Kickers not named Adam Venitieri tend to be shells of their former selves when they leave their former franchises. That's why we cleverly grabbed Myers, who was never really that good to begin with.

Well Gould got his contract because he had played REALLY well in SF. They have a longsnapper who is suspended and coming back later and a rookie holder. Dunno if its that or perhaps less work since he held out. Dunno. I think he eventually figures it out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ixy93ya said:
RolandDeschain":3ixy93ya said:
rlkats":3ixy93ya said:

True....but I keep sayin it....the dude is almost like a rookie. He's only got 15 NFL starts.

Under Shanahan, Niners are 11-2 when he starts and 4-20 when he doesn't. Wins aren't always a great indicator, but its really hard to argue with that disparity.
Come on...he sat behind an all-time great for four years. Aaron Rodgers sat behind one for three.

Don't give us this "he's basically a rookie" garbage. That is just a disingenuous excuse for shortcomings.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":26ytu9eh said:
Marvin49":26ytu9eh said:
RolandDeschain":26ytu9eh said:
rlkats":26ytu9eh said:

Come on...he sat behind an all-time great for four years. Aaron Rodgers sat behind one for three.

Don't give us this "he's basically a rookie" garbage. That is just a disingenuous excuse for shortcomings.

Call it whatever you want, but that's how I see it.

I said it all off-season. It took Ryan a year to get the offense down. Jimmy hasn't gotten that and that's why I said I thought he'd struggle BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED. I'm not injecting an excuse here. I predicted he'd struggle. He's actually playing better than I thought he would. I have always said he's good for at least one WTF throw every game.

BTW, I've now watched the INT several times and it looks like the WR fakes a screen and then breaks into the endzone. That was why the flight of the ball was what it was....it was supposed to be over the CB when he bit on the screen.

They had just run a screen on the other side so it looks like the thinking was to show the same look and expect the D to think it was the same play, but it wasn't.

Unfortunately, the CB never bit. He drifted back.

Jimmy has to see that. That's 100% on Jimmy. He can't make that throw there.

….and again....he has played well. You guys make it sound like I'm excusing the play of a QB who is playing horribly. I mean they are freakin 11-2 with him as a starter. Its just those few passes a game that he needs to be smarter on. Dunno if he ever does, but my guess is he will as he gets more experience. I watched Steve Young back in the day make some pretty bonehead plays too...and he's my favorite QB ever.

Seems people have completely forgotten that this was a guy who lost an entire year to a torn ACL. I see absolutely nobody talking about that.