Who absolutely needs to be off this team next year.

Fade

Reaction score
Hurtt first and foremost. I know it ultimately comes back to Pete, but Hurtt is such an embarrassment. Worse than KNJ.

49ers Drives vs Seahawks:
FG TD FG Punt FG TD TD TD FG End of game. They scored on 80% of their drives with a rookie 7th-round pick at QB.
Let's look at it from this perspective.

Would a good head coach sit back and allow Ken Norton to be his DC for 4 years? And then follow that up with the Hurtt hiring?

That is absolutely terrible, and should call into question the head guy.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Seahawks need a lot of talent for their defensive front seven. Most Seahawk players in the front seven would not be starters for other play off teams in the NFC (eg Bucs, 49ers, Cowboys, Eagles etc).

That is the 100% truth.
I agree. Its startes with the guys upfront. None of them are world beaters or even blow up the occasional average OL. Shit...they dont even put hands on rbs going through holes.

We need stout defensive tackles. 3 atleast if the stay with the 34. Then you need 2 capable backers. Run stuffers but can cover. Because the outside backers of nwosu, taylor, irvin, mafe are very capable as a group. Nwosu needs to be strong side everyplay. Not just some. He sets the best edge. We dont need more edge rushers. We need im throw ya ass around until get to the ball guys. Chris Jones or aron donald. Dont touch the secondary. They are fine. Diggs included. Adams or neal. Both are acceptable.

Offense: keep your line going including Jackson. Continuity is best here. Get a game changing center to run your offense. We need a reciever who makes every catch like lockett. Not a guy who only catches wide open passes. Someone who attacks the ball and will take it away. Dk could get more picks or a straight up trade for stud DL. If penny can stay healthly....penny and k9 are good. TEs are good.

Lastly, if the seahawks still had a qb who can win you a game...this game would have been different. Dont get me wrong. Geno played well or good enough. Still, he doesnt take a game away if he wants or capable of winning it if he has to. He is just not that guy.

chrispy

Reaction score
Just an idea....
Why not draft the best players available, leaning toward D, with the huge amount of draft capital available. Then, pick up some free agents that fit in our limited cap space. Then, let them compete with each other and keep the best ones on the 53.

Losing Adams, BWagz and KJ in one off-season might predict some struggles. I think everyone on the team currently has the potential to compete for a spot next season...even while I'm hoping for upgrades.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Let's look at it from this perspective.

Would a good head coach sit back and allow Ken Norton to be his DC for 4 years? And then follow that up with the Hurtt hiring?

That is absolutely terrible, and should call into question the head guy.
This. Pete hires these guys and needs to be held accountable. Pete has always been known for two things: A good running game and solid defense. If he can no longer identify what good defense looks like then he's half the man he used to be. It almost seems like he hires fall guys these days...and / or guys that are not head coach material or threats to his throne.

But he did rid of us Wilson and considering the number of rookie starts this year, I'm willing to give him another shot... but only if he fires Hurtt. YMMV.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Definitely need linebackers. Brooks will be gone most of the next season so thinking 3 new starters. Barton is and always has been trash. Terrible pick for a 3rd rounder. Muse is jag...Gonna have to look to free agency.

seabowl

Reaction score
Diggs, Diggs, and what’s that other guys name? Oh yeah, Diggs.

Then, I’d have to say Diggs and his counterpart, Diggs.

Lastly, Diggs.

Ya dig?
Agree. Hate his attitude and other than some splash plays he is average at best.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Just an idea....
Why not draft the best players available, leaning toward D, with the huge amount of draft capital available. Then, pick up some free agents that fit in our limited cap space. Then, let them compete with each other and keep the best ones on the 53.

Losing Adams, BWagz and KJ in one off-season might predict some struggles. I think everyone on the team currently has the potential to compete for a spot next season...even while I'm hoping for upgrades.
With the cap as is, your strategy isn’t compatible with keeping Geno.

Sign him to what he‘s likely to command and you’ll struggle to fill out the roster with scrubs given the remaining cap crumbs.

Suppose you could mortgage your way around it with a longer term contract, but then you’re committed to a QB on the wrong side of 35 in those latter years.

Sadly it’s just bad timing given the overall state of the roster, the cap, and Geno‘s age.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SCheme doesnt work if the players dont fit the scheme. There are some good players. Not just up front 3 and 2 in the middle. The most important and critical areas of the field.

If you dont have the personnel for the scheme you want to run then why are you running that scheme? Thats whats maddening to me and its been happening for years. Like last season when Dunlap had to tell the staff they were using him wrong. This coaching staff has missed the boat for far to long.

GemCity

Reaction score
After the last Seahawks video where says that he has been boys with Jamal since 2014, I'd say he was probably the biggest lobbyist for the trade.

Diggs will be gone. $9.8M savings is too important to pass up.
The play tonight where Aiyuk broke free, was on Diggs. I know it’s easy to assume that safety’s (in addition to CBs) are at fault for a lot of deep balls, but this was a slant where Diggs wasn’t drawn to a weak side receiving threat.

He hit a terrible angle and that play resulted in a TD.

The INTs have been nice but, I don’t think he covers just outside of the LBs nearly well enough.

I’d love to see Adams healthy. I feel like he could be dominant if fully healed but….that’s like wishing to see Penny play a whole season.

Really hoping we draft the next Kam..,

GemCity

Reaction score
Agree with Hurtt. If you’ve got the dogs or not, Seattle ranking near last on Defense isn’t part of their character and certainly doesn’t fit what some have said is Pete Carroll’s offensive philosophy (safe play, keep it close, etc.)

Whether that is true or not…I don’t know. Regardless, we can’t expect much with how we’ve been performing on D.

themunn

Reaction score
They actually have a lot of good pieces on defense. Most wouldn't know it though, due to how horribly coached they are.
If that was the case you would see players who haven't been performing here go and light up the league elsewhere but who is doing that?

In the past few years we have lost a number of good but not great players (Clark, Reed, Coleman, Griffin) who have continued to play well but none has made a material step up with 'better coaxhing'. Wagner has also continued to be great but not 20m great so it was the right call to cut.

Is there anyone out there playing for another team that was terrible here and great elsewhere?

Scout

Reaction score
It is hard to gauge what talent you have when Hurtt is simply not a good DC.

But what is clear as day is the front seven needs upgrades. The backend is very good when the front seven play disciplined football. But disciplined football is only half the equation. The other half is you need some game wreckers in the front seven and the Hawks are feeling it.

There is no more J. Reed, F. Clark, Wagner, or Wright in that front seven. Need to replenish it badly.

Poona Ford, Quinton Jefferson, etc are nice supporting players but they can not step up to the plate and take over a game. It is not who they are so we must be realistic. Harris is not a bad veteran piece to have moving forward but need young, game changing talent to team with him up front.

And upgrades at LB need to come as well.