Who got away from us in the draft?

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":29ger1eq said:
Pat Kirwan on Sirius Radio said that after the draft, Pete told him that there was a player they badly wanted who got taken 4 picks ahead of them. Here are the players that were taken 4 picks ahead of Seattle (excluding trade ups or picks that were within 4 picks or less of a previous Seahawks pick):

#22 WR Josh Doctson
#27 DT Kenny Clark
#86 WR Leonte Carroo
#167 SS Marqui Christian
#211 RB Kelvin Taylor
#239 LB Trevor Bates

Looking at that list, it's probably Kenny Clark, who fits a similar profile to Jarran Reed and was drafted by John Schneider's mentor. Each of Seattle's first five picks (arguably their first eight picks) all related to getting tougher in the running game so I'm guessing Seattle was locked on to a DL/OL with that first pick.

Either Doctson or Clark would make some sense, but your reasoning sure points to Clark.

Frankly if that is the case, I'm glad we got Reed instead. Much better player IMO.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":2gfozes7 said:
kearly":2gfozes7 said:
Pat Kirwan on Sirius Radio said that after the draft, Pete told him that there was a player they badly wanted who got taken 4 picks ahead of them. Here are the players that were taken 4 picks ahead of Seattle (excluding trade ups or picks that were within 4 picks or less of a previous Seahawks pick):

#22 WR Josh Doctson
#27 DT Kenny Clark
#86 WR Leonte Carroo
#167 SS Marqui Christian
#211 RB Kelvin Taylor
#239 LB Trevor Bates

Looking at that list, it's probably Kenny Clark, who fits a similar profile to Jarran Reed and was drafted by John Schneider's mentor. Each of Seattle's first five picks (arguably their first eight picks) all related to getting tougher in the running game so I'm guessing Seattle was locked on to a DL/OL with that first pick.

Either Doctson or Clark would make some sense, but your reasoning sure points to Clark.

Frankly if that is the case, I'm glad we got Reed instead. Much better player IMO.
It's probably the "other" Clark (Kenny) because JS was saying they would go either DT or OL in the first round. I believe he was referring to either Reed or Ifedi at that point, but if those were the positions they were targeting and Reed was still available, maybe they saw him dropping and went with the OLineman they wanted and jumped to get Reed as well. Carroo is sort of a Golden Tate type player, though.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":39ynsoup said:

#22 WR Josh Doctson
#27 DT Kenny Clark
#86 WR Leonte Carroo
#167 SS Marqui Christian
#211 RB Kelvin Taylor
#239 LB Trevor Bates

It could have been Carroo, he was a name Ive heard linked to the Seahawks in the process.

JS/PS also said several of the guys they drafted they had projected not being available at thier picks... Reed, Vannett, Collins. That certainly changed thier draft process a bit.

I think for certain they wanted to trade down at 25. the pick could have been Clark at 31, but I think they knew they had a bigger need at O-Line than Dline since its investing in Wilson longevity. Hence, picking Ifedi over Reed in the 1st. They also seemed adamant about adding a 3rd rounder with the trade down.

I didnt think they anticipated Reed's slide hence giving up a draft pick for him and losing that extra pick in principle.

Who knows they could gave traded down in the 2nd with the idea of adding the 5th needed for Jefferson and an extra 6th like they did in 2013.

With maybe Hargrave/ Ridgeway/Insert DT here, Prosise, and Carroo keyed in with those 2nd/3rd round selections.

I feel like Odhiambo was penciled in with thier 4th rounder. Which they gave up for Reed. But when Vannett fell to them they werent going to risk losing him if they traded out to acquire another pick, and they couldnt trade out of that 97th pick, so they just took Odhiambo with no picks until that 5th round comp.

Then waited for the right team and opportunity (Patriots) to buy a draft slot for Jefferson.

And perhaps took Collins because he was bpa and didnt think he would be available.

two dog

Reaction score
It could have been LaRaven Clark. If he had fallen to 90 then maybe no
C. J. Prosise, maybe no Nick Vannett and almost certainly no Rees Odhiambo.
If it had been Clark, Prosise and Vannett, I'm not sure if that's an improvement
over what they ended up with.

I think it probably was Josh Doctson. Schneider and Carroll have a great failing,
they don;t care what you or I think. Nor do they care for the opinions of sundry
daft expurts. They would have had a plan in place for the defensive and offensive
line needs had he fallen to them. It would certainly have changed the way things fell.

Schneider has mentioned numerous times that he wants guys who "tilt the field",
game changers of a high enough order that you cannot refuse them if available.
Doctson, it seems to me, is that kind of guy.

We have some excellent receivers but no one with the same strokes as Doctson,
If we had drafted him, I think we would have had him for only five years, after that
we probably would not be able to afford him. He could be a great one.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Me of course....A really awesome waterboy that has potential to learn about the inflation deflation of footballs to the satisfaction of the quarterbacks needs and kickers needs is essential. But no, they pick up who sis in the 7th round instead of me. You would think that by now they would understand that the needs of the team also fall on the staff. But maybe next year. :twisted:

:laugh: :thcoffee: :16: