How the Hawks finally got the draft right again...

Polk738

Reaction score
They had some very big whiffs just on the defensive side alone when it came to a lot of those previous drafts: Tedric Thompson, Delayno Hill, Trey Flowers, Shaqueem Griffin, Marquise Blair, Malik McDowell, Nazair Jones, Ugo Amadi....

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Walker. Feel better now? Have you reached self-actualization? My god sir, you are at the top of your game. Best of luck going forward.

My question was sincere. I really had no idea who "Griffin" could be. I even thought "could there be somebody in the latest draft class or acquired as a free agent recently whose name is similar to 'Griffin'?"

I'm curious how you expected me to know that "Griffin" meant "Walker." The names are not even a little bit similar, beyond both having two syllables, and I can't even think of a player named Griffin (or anything similar) who resembles Walker in any way, even role on the roster, like if you had accidentally written "Penny" when thinking of Walker. The only running back with the name Griffin that comes to my mind, even after minutes thinking about it, is Archie Griffin, and I'd be willing to bet most people here don't remember him (his NFL career ended in 1982 and he was never a Seahawk). If you'd written "Warner," I would have known what you meant, and I'd have understood that, even though it was a long time ago, Curt-with-a-C Warner was another Seahawks running back who performed really well in his rookie season in the NFL, and that the names "Warner" and "Walker" are fairly similar. I'd have known in that case that you meant Walker. I can't find any logical path from "Griffin" to "Walker," yet you responded sarcastically like I should have somehow known that when you wrote "Griffin," you were talking about Walker. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'm sure Jody didn't have any influence on the actual draft picks, but there were rumblings that she was "unhappy" last year. That she was involved, and present in the draft room, asking Pete and John questions about the selection process, probably put some pressure on them to carefully evaluate and make better decisions.
Or simply put, don't be too cute.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Hard to believe she had input in our draft. You guys giving her too much credit.
She was there, and she asked questions. Sometimes that's all it takes for subordinates to think twice. :)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've been super critical of how they've drafted because its been flat out bad and the argument that its hard from that range doesn't add up when you start comparing other teams that have drafted around them the past few years. But John/Pete deserve a ton of credit for realizing they can do better and changing the process and this draft was a home run and maybe whatever changes they made will help in future years as well. I think Pete gave John a little more say in the process and that helped but hard to know for sure. Regardless they absolutely killed it this year.

zhawk

Reaction score
I’m thinking that having Jody in the draft room was more of an effort to present a united front to the public as they had taken a highly controversial,albeit courageous step in ending both Russell’s and Bobby’s time here. And then not taking a qb in the draft.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I've been super critical of how they've drafted because its been flat out bad and the argument that its hard from that range doesn't add up when you start comparing other teams that have drafted around them the past few years. But John/Pete deserve a ton of credit for realizing they can do better and changing the process and this draft was a home run and maybe whatever changes they made will help in future years as well. I think Pete gave John a little more say in the process and that helped but hard to know for sure. Regardless they absolutely killed it this year.
Have you made that comparison? I don't mean anecdotal single-pick comparisons; I mean actually looking at statistical measures of draft success rates across multiple years. There are a handful of posters in here who continue to throw out the opinion that Seattle has drafted poorly in the last several years without actually providing any statistical proof or other evidence. There are others in here, myself included, who have actually read articles providing statistical data on draft success rates relative to draft position, and then posted that information.

Your opinions and anecdotal evidence do not equal fact.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah multiple articles have been written about this. Some metrics are a little kinder to them and some put them in the bottom 3rd in the league. I don't think they've been terrible but I think they are definitely league average at best and they would both admit that's not good enough.

I have posted previously. I think the athletic did an article using 6 or so different metrics.

We can debate it but probably not changing each others minds regardless. I think we can all agree this last draft class was awesome though and leave it at that

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I’m thinking that having Jody in the draft room was more of an effort to present a united front to the public as they had taken a highly controversial,albeit courageous step in ending both Russell’s and Bobby’s time here. And then not taking a qb in the draft.
True, it showed a united front. Good point!!!

Atradees

Reaction score
I think its as simple as Pete letting his assistants have a say in who is drafted. There was alot of upheaval in the staff in the last couple of years. We will see if they can sustain it. Alot of good picks are on the way. I was tired of sandlot football with Wilson. One could see the Tom Cable influence in the draft room. What about when we drafted three rbs? And none left a mark? Or the Tyson draft?- a run of DBs who stank? I think if we look backwards we can better decipher the past drafts based on the staff. So all hail The defensive coordinators and the new offense. it seems we have some rising stars again. We are in a great position to build the DL

cc

Last edited:

seabowl

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just a matter of accountability with ownership saying we’re retaining you both but you better start getting things right or else. PC/JS then threw out their copy of Al Davis’s book on “how to shock the entire league with reach NFL draft picks” and went back to logical picking.