Who is our next QB? 70 million would be useless with no QB?!

toffee

Reaction score
Geno Smith to continue winning a few more games till we find that second coming of Russell Wilson.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

hawker84

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious some folks still have faith in Pete and John. I can't for the life of me figure out why, what have they done lately to earn your trust?

Doesn't matter who they bring in, coaches or players, Pete Ball does not work. His philosophies are terminally flawed. We are in for some very dark years as long as Carroll remains at the helm. Seattle let the wrong person walk.

Rat

Reaction score
Dammit, Mitchell Trubisky signed with the Steelers. Was kind of wanting him.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I don't think its a matter of who the next Franchise QB will be, but rather how long it will take to really find one. While the Seahawks had some moderate QB success at times throughout the years, it wasn't until Russell Wilson came along that we as fans really got to see what a Franchise QB looks like and what that impact looks like in terms of position stability and ability. It took this franchise 36 years to acquire one. They don't grow on trees. There aren't that many of them in the league at any given time. Depending on the year, there could be anywhere from 3-10 legitimate franchise QBs. 10 might be a stretch.

I doubt that in 2022 the Seahawks will find a Franchise QB. Maybe in the '23 draft considering its deeper and better at the position than this year. Even with a better QB draft next year, its no guarantee that a guy who is a legitimate franchise guy will be there and available whenever they pick. Getting one through trade or free agency is extremely rare.

Knowing that almost every game the past 10 years was potentially a win was fun. Not worrying about the QB position was awesome. Hopefully we are able to find another one in the next 10 years. If it happens in the next 5 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Rat

Reaction score
I doubt that in 2022 the Seahawks will find a Franchise QB. Maybe in the '23 draft considering its deeper and better at the position than this year.
It's very deep this year IMO, just not top-heavy. There should be some nice options in the late first or early second round. Good opportunity to get an impact player at 9 (Stingley, Penning, etc) and still land a promising quarterback.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It's very deep this year IMO, just not top-heavy. There should be some nice options in the late first or early second round. Good opportunity to get an impact player at 9 (Stingley, Penning, etc) and still land a promising quarterback.
A promising QB is much different than a franchise QB.

Rat

Reaction score
A promising QB is much different than a franchise QB.
You don't really know who the franchise QBs are until they play for you. There are a few guys I think have the potential to turn into one. Russ was the same thing when we drafted him.

If you're looking for 100% certainty, this probably isn't the sport for you to follow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You don't really know who the franchise QBs are until they play for you. There are a few guys I think have the potential to turn into one. Russ was the same thing when we drafted him.

If you're looking for 100% certainty, this probably isn't the sport for you to follow.

Russell Wilson was devalued by every GM in the league because of an antiquated metric bias with height.

That doesn't mean you can just go find another Wilson by drafting a young QB. Just ask the other 12-15 perennially bad franchises how easy that is using 1st round draft capital on mistake QB drafting.

Or just look at our own terrible track record.

Rick Mirer
Dan McGwire
Kelly Stouffer
Brock Huard
John Kitna
John Friesz

Doesn't mean you can't find another franchise QB in the draft, but it also means you shouldn't be expecting to find another Russell Wilson either. Took us 40+ years to draft a Russell Wilson.

So you better be damn sure about all the tangibles and intangibles if you're going to pull the trigger on using a top 10 pick on a QB. Because if you're wrong you just set your franchise back 5-10 years.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think the idea of a franchise qb is a myth. It's a team game. Vinnie Testaverde won a Heismann, dumping the ball off to MIchael Irvin, Brett Perriman, and Brian Blades. And Brett Farve could not reverse the fortunes of the Jets. These are examples of the "greatness" of a QB being defined by more by the supporting cast than the athlete themselves. We all recall Richard Sherman telling the world that the Seattle defense knew it was on them to win games -- not Russ.

Having a QB that can make reads and distribute the ball is all you need to win a SB (Flacco, Dilfer, Roethlisberger, E.Manning) if you have a solid team around them.

So I would have to disagree with the OP's premise that $70M would be useless without a franchise QB. I think $70M pumped into the roster would 'create' a franchise QB.

Rat

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was devalued by every GM in the league because of an antiquated metric bias with height.

That doesn't mean you can just go find another Wilson by drafting a young QB. Just ask the other 12-15 perennially bad franchises how easy that is using 1st round draft capital on mistake QB drafting.

Rick Mirer
Dan McGwire
Kelly Stouffer
Brock Huard
John Kitna
John Friesz

Doesn't mean you can't find another franchise QB in the draft, but it also means you shouldn't be expecting to find another Russell Wilson either. Took us 40+ years to draft a Russell Wilson.

So you better be damn sure about all the tangibles and intangibles if you're going to pull the trigger on using a top 10 pick on a QB. Because if you're wrong you just set your franchise back 5-10 years.
I certainly don't think a Russ in the third round is a common thing. Finding a QB is hard, but I more don't like the "let's wait until next year take". I think there are some seriously undervalued guys in this one that I'd be thrilled to land.

Rat

Reaction score
I think the idea of a franchise qb is a myth. It's a team game. Vinnie Testaverde won a Heismann, dumping the ball off to MIchael Irvin, Brett Perriman, and Brian Blades. And Brett Farve could not reverse the fortunes of the Jets. These are examples of the "greatness" of a QB being defined by more by the supporting cast than the athlete themselves. We all recall Richard Sherman telling the world that the Seattle defense knew it was on them to win games -- not Russ.

Having a QB that can make reads and distribute the ball is all you need to win a SB (Flacco, Dilfer, Roethlisberger, E.Manning) if you have a solid team around them.

So I would have to disagree with the OP's premise that $70M would be useless without a franchise QB. I think $70M pumped into the roster would 'create' a franchise QB.

Favre was 39 when the Jets traded for him. If anyone thought that was turning the franchise around, they were delusional (although he was incredible with the Vikings the following year). Even still, the Jets improved from 4 wins to 9 that season, and that was with their best targets in the passing game being Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, and a declining Laveranues Coles.

Also, I hate Ben Roethlisberger as much as anyone, but you're seriously underselling him. He was an elite player and a legitimate franchise QB for a long time. Don't let whatever that was he was doing out there the last two seasons overshadow a tremendous career.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Rick Mirer
Dan McGwire
Kelly Stouffer
Brock Huard
John Kitna
John Friesz

Had it not been for Quarterback Guru Mike Holmgren, Matt Hasselbeck could be added to that list too.
The right fit depends a lot on a Quarterbacks' ability to transition from one style of Coaching in College to another in the Pro's.
There are sometimes stark differences in an individuals style of QB play (Brady / Wilson) that can either be an asset, or a detriment, depending on the system, adaptabilities of the Quarterback in question, Players, and or Coaches.
I think there's a good chance that Pete & John kind of have an idea of the traits that will work for Pete's system, or at least I HOPE they do lol.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

100 percent this. Everyone's beating their chests like we need a BF or an AR. We don't. We need a serviceable fing quarterback that doesn't fight management and can see some open shorter routes.

It will wait until the pieces fall into place around it. I've been saying 'serviceable' and 'game manager' (wince) for a while. If the right deal manifests - great. If not, bridge with a lock/newton/etc until we find someone.

I agree with someone's comment recently - DON'T **** THIS UP. We don't want to pursue a bad date, and have to shed some monster 5 year contract in a year because it didn't worked out and got rushed. Don't wiff on this. Take our time. Build the other pieces around it first. THAT will attract a quality candidate.

With a mess of a line, and receivers not signed yet, I'd like to know WHO THE F would want to inherit this mess at QB. Most of the elite guys want to walk in a have a ring (aka ******* donald) the first year on the team. Well, we're not built for that right now - so not sure what 'elite' people would even be interested in us, without 2 or 3 qualifiers. The QB is the 'final piece' - he's not the saviour.

my .02.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I certainly don't think a Russ in the third round is a common thing. Finding a QB is hard, but I more don't like the "let's wait until next year take". I think there are some seriously undervalued guys in this one that I'd be thrilled to land.

Undervalued is hard to come by now.

Unfortunately QB's are overvalued in the draft because of how important the position is. That's why they routinely go too high for their actual draft position merits.

That's all I'm saying, don't waste the #9 pick on a guy who only has 70% of what you need in a franchise QB.

If there's a QB after round one that you think is undervalued and you love? By all means, take a chance. I'm specifically talking about reaching on one of this years QB's at #9.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I sense a bit of rage. It’ll get better.

Rat

Reaction score
Undervalued is hard to come by now.

Unfortunately QB's are overvalued in the draft because of how important the position is. That's why they routinely go too high for their actual draft position merits.

That's all I'm saying, don't waste the #9 pick on a guy who only has 70% of what you need in a franchise QB.

If there's a QB after round one that you think is undervalued and you love? By all means, take a chance. I'm specifically talking about reaching on one of this years QB's at #9.
Yeah, I'm not suggesting we take one at #9, but Howell, Corral, and Pickett are all guys I would be happy to trade back into the later first round for. Howell especially I think deserves more love in this process than he has been getting. Willis has some impressive athletic traits, but I doubt he'll still be available at the place I'd be comfortable taking him. Ridder and Strong are guys I'd be content with in the second. I think Bailey Zappe is going to be a huge steal for somebody in the mid-rounds. I don't know, maybe I'm subconsciously being contrarian because this QB class gets ripped on so much, but I think it's a lot better than it's being given credit for.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well we know the "experts" can be wrong right?

Grade: F

Bfv5OryCcAAjHh

So hell yeah, if Pete and John have targeted a QB they love. Go for it.

Just not at #9 please!

Latest posts