Who will our back up be?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I can see both sides of it. Certainly it comes with some drama. But he's likely better than most QB's that are still available. Not that our opinions matter, but I'm cool with it either way.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
toffee":3rux61d0 said:
Chapow":3rux61d0 said:
vigilantgrrl":3rux61d0 said:
How about someone who can actually compete with and/or push Wilson?

Such as?

Kaepernick! Hoping our ownership will grow a pair and sign him.

I don't want that clown within 5 miles of this team. Old, bad news; I don't care what he "brings to the table". Friggin cancer.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3umifrjv said:
Certainly it comes with some drama.

I think this is true obviously, but I also think that the type of drama Kap comes with isn't the type of drama that the Seahawks have been trying to shed.

The drama Kap comes with purely about reporters wanting to talk to your backup QB, which no team wants. To be honest though, I'd bet money on Kap nipping this in the bud, and it basically being a non-story by the end of the offseason.

My sense is that the drama the Seahawks have been trying to shed is of a different type: discord in the locker room, players feeling emboldened to chew out coaches on the sideline and second guess coaching decisions, players doing and saying crazy stuff off the field and to the media, and so on.

Beyond having knelt Kap had a couple of those instances very early in his career, but really grew out of them in the past few years, and all of his teammates really liked him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How does it come with drama?

More drama comes from the fact that he is unsigned, when he is clearly better than most backups.

And considering how we like to use our QB, he is absolutely the best option for us.

Finally, he destroys GB regularly. We need him just for that.

Now, what he would cost is a different issue and maybe the salary demand does not match the option - but to dismiss it out of hand is weird. And this is Seattle, we are smarter, more well off, healthier and progressive if not more left of center than most of the country - as is much of the West Coast. So his brand of politics would hardly rub 80% of the fan base the wrong way.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't mind him being signed here. If he wants big $, nope. But if he's willing to come be backup for a decent price, it's worth it. He's a lot better than some of the crap backups. Including Davis and Boykin, it's not even close.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kaep would cause a QB controversy at some point mid season. Many players would rally behind him and when we struggle, they'll look to a stronger, more genuine personality regardless if it's warranted or not. RW kind of needs a kids glove team that can grow with him and he may have that now.

Otherwise I'd be all for signing Kaep of we didn't draft a sleeper like Lauletta. Kaep could kneel, do the worm, cartwheels with pompoms, sacrifice a goat and make gyros, etc for all I care. The NFL asked for trouble when they took money like whores for the players to take part in a pregame ritual. Hell, sign Eric Reid while your at it after you draft his brother.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get Colin Kaepernick.

He is a good fit with the Seahawks scheme, and a goof fit with the city of Seattle, at least compared to that of most other cities in America.

The biggest issue with Kaep is whether he would accept backup money to play here. My guess is that he would at this point, given that no other team is likely to offer him squat because he is controversial. As we know, Pete encourages players to be themselves, and Pete can manage conflict far better than most coaches.

Yes, some fans won't like it. Screw them. I want the Seahawks to field the best possible team and Kaep is the best backup QB on the market. By far. Most of the other names being floated make me want to puke.

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
You dont sign a guy like kaep he would bring all the cameras and hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":1b6img8e said:
Chapow":1b6img8e said:
vigilantgrrl":1b6img8e said:
How about someone who can actually compete with and/or push Wilson?

Such as?

Kaepernick! Hoping our ownership will grow a pair and sign him.

You guys must not have a very high opinion of Russell if you think one of the most inaccurate passers in the history of the league, who hasn't played in over a year can come into camp and challenge Russell.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":2ysq7jsw said:
You dont sign a guy like kaep he would bring all the cameras and hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

So what? Everyone in the organization knows Russ is the QB. Let the talking heads talk. It means nothing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tusc2000":xouhlf0o said:
StaffAmerica74":xouhlf0o said:

So what? Everyone in the organization knows Russ is the QB. Let the talking heads talk. It means nothing.

Because having that ever present drama sitting on the bench all season having reporters constantly asking him drama questions isn't worth it for a backup QB.

This is a team that's making a concerted effort to get rid of players that are causing drama, not bringing them in.

James in PA

Reaction score
THE SANCHIZE.

Book it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":35gz8st3 said:
Kaep would immediately be the best backup in the league. I'm pulling for a signing.
Wishful thinkin'....I doubt we have enough CAP for Kaep.

Greenhell

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":j1p2p0n3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/978837336405487616[/tweet]

UGH! NO!!! Dude has no presence and no confidence on the field anymore. :pukeface:

Chapow

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":morniy28 said:
I want Johnny "Football" Manziel!!!!

Why?

I wouldn't let Manziel step foot in the facility even if he offered his services free of charge. He has had many chances to get his act together over the course of his very privileged life and has chosen not to each and every time. He loves fame, partying, and money, not football.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":39fwodve said:
KitsapGuy":39fwodve said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/978837336405487616[/tweet]

UGH! NO!!! Dude has no presence and no confidence on the field anymore. :pukeface:

As long as whomever they bring in isn't given a large guarantee, I'm open for bringing in anyone (well anyone who isn't likely to be more trouble than they're worth) to the camps and see how they do. We have plenty of time to decide on who will best suit the team as the in season back up. Right now we just need to get bodies in between now and the first mini camp and see what fits.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think an interesting tidbit that is being forgotten is that fact that PC/JS wanted to "light a fire" under Russell, part of the reason they hired Schotty. I think a Kaepernick signing AND a QB drafted Round 5 or higher would give RW enough of a pause to kick up his game a bit. Also the Hawks might try some interesting things in the next year or 2 considering RW negotiations are coming up, and seeing how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. They are going to want some sort of leverage. (Not that Kaep is any sort of leverage, just saying they might try some "interesting" things to improve competition/not sign RW a blank check)

I have no idea if Kaep would bring to much of a Circus to town, but I trust PC/JS on evaluating that.

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":yq2wrp56 said:
But Sanchez is better than Davis or Boykin ever were. He did play in 2 AFC Championships.

That Jets team had a very good defense and running game. They very well might have won a Super Bowl if they had a decent starting QB.

For a veteran backup though? Sure. It seems at this point in his career he just kind of keeps a low profile and does his job helping the starter prepare. I wouldn't pay him anything more than the vet min on a 1 year deal though and would fully expect to lose any games he had to play a significant role in.

I would prefer they bring in a young prospect like Lauletta though that could possibly develop into an asset to the team in the future.

To be clear, I'm of the belief that we're probably not winning much, if at all, if we lose Russ so I'd rather see a young prospect that could possibly develop into something than a veteran who would most likely just be a warm body to throw to the wolves until the season was over or Russ was ready to play.