Who wins the competition at Right Tackle?

Who starts at RT?

• Michael Bowie

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Eric Winston

Votes: 72 67.9%
  • Justin Britt

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Alvin Bailey

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3s83flny said:
What has happened with Bailey?

I doubt Bailey will figure into the RT mix, he is Okung insurance, and right I believe the team wants to focus making him the best LT he can be.

And by all reports I've seen, Bailey has been doing great as the #1 LT filling in for Okung.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think Britt is getting a ton of snaps in camp right now because they literally want to toss him into the deep end (against Avril) and see how he does. Also, Winston just got there and has to learn the playbook, the line calls, etc. Britt at least had the offseason to study that stuff.

If Winston reverts back to the form he had when he previously played in a ZBS, I think he's the obvious choice to start so they can give Britt time to develop. If not, then it's anybody's guess.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":1agm2daj said:
At all the camps I been to so far. its been brit, then Winston. He is a good pickup, but I think its britt's to lose.. if not this year then going forward, he looked great in camp.. Winston. does too but brit looks better we have the durability uncertainty though. baily has been playhing left tackle while Okung has been hurt., so he is the #1 backup at left tackle to Okung and lets face it.. he will have to come in.... Okung is squishy.

Winston was acquired just 3 days ago, and more or less was hired to push Justin Britt in competetion because Michael Bowie is currently injured and not in the best shape.

But I agree its Britt's jobs to lose but with Winston, I feel the leash will be short.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":3lz2i86g said:
Britt has the anchor of a TE, and that's especially troubling since he's already 315 pounds. There's a lot to like about Britt, but I fear this could be a fatal flaw.

Bowie didn't look athletic enough to play tackle last season, and now he's got weight problems.

Bailey is a freak. He looks bigger than Carp or Bowie, and yet he can handle speed rushers no problem. The guy needs to be starting somewhere. If he is in Tom Cable's doghouse than it better be for a damn good reason.

Winston was good in the past when he was in a run first ZBS. He's getting good reviews in TC so far. He was poor last season in a power scheme, but I'm optimistic so far. If he can even give us what Giacomini gave us last season while starting 16 games, that would be huge for us.

Britt is listed at 6'6" and 325. He doesn't have a lot of fat and looks athletic. Mizzou ran a spread system where he had a bit more room to block in space if I'm not mistaken. That might mess up that anchor of his in pass pro.

Bowie is listed at 6'4" and 332. He looks to have a lot of fat on him and is pretty out of shape. I don't know how much more he weighs than 332 which he was listed at last year as well. I agree with you about Bowie; I think speed rushers give him issues with more weight on him.

Winston is listed at 6'7" and 302 FYI. He looks thicker than that though. I agree with you in that if he gives us what Breno did, or even better, than we're looking good.

Bailey is a freak, I agree with you there. He's also not going anywhere. I firmly believe this is why they let Okung walk next year. Bailey will be cheaper for longer and he's more durable. I also believe he'll only get better with more reps and starting experience.

It's surprising that Sweezy has only started 18 games. It seems a lot more than that. Stands to reason he'll get better, and it's no surprise that the coaching staff loves him...18 games starting at the pro level and none in college and he looks damned decent for that lack of experience. He also looks HUGE this year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Thread could be titled "Who doesn't lose the competition at right tackle?"

I suspect it may be a war of attrition.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It seems like I'm one of the few people who think Bowie didn't really hack it last year at RT, and as such, I was really hoping Britt would step in and become a stud. (I still hope that, and despite whatever I said in the adopt-a-rookie thread, I've retroactively decided to adopt Britt). However, since it sounds like my newfound AAR isn't where he should be, and I'm not a fan of Bowie on the right side (why isn't Bailey in the mix again? Is he backup for LT?), Winston it is.

/subordinate clauses

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would love Britt to win it, but I have a feeling that Winston is gonna get the gig.

tooshort

Reaction score
I was shocked that Bailey made it out of the 3rd-4th round last year (let alone UDFA to our Hawks)

He is a stud in every aspect other than "Blowup" run blocking and I would presume that this trait eliminates him (in a T.Cable system) from being a guard or RT.

Maybe it's just me (and maybe Winston fills the spot admirably),but from the outside (looking in) I would put Bailey at LT and swing Okung to RT where he could dominate next to Sweezy and create a nasty run blocking side to the line.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I voted Justin Britt because I thought our offensive line should be our draft priority and if he sucks then I'd consider his pick a huge waste.

Eric Winston? Who the Heck is that? I honestly have never even heard of this guy.

Maybe he did a radio interview yesterday for ESPN Seattle? There was some well spoken dude interviewed yesterday who sounded like a O-Line veteran? I donno I listen to a lot of radio podcasts when I'm also doing other stuff so I can't even remember exactly who it was... Hopefully that's Eric Winston otherwise I have no fricken idea who this dude is... and that's REALLY sad he's got 70% of the vote and I don't even know who he is...

Watching our O-Line in the ESPN training camp special was kinda hilarious, they all looked so slow and injured could barely even walk from point A to point B. I donno I think O-Line is gonna suck again this year and I don't even know who Eric Winston is...

These two images sum up our Offensive Line performance.

the-definition-insanity-charlie-brown-lucy-football-demotivational-posters-1350975109.jpg

Goodgrief

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Bowie- Played extremely well toward the end of the season. He is probably the team's second best run blocker behind Russell Okung. Boasted one of PFF's highest grades for a rookie last year. Both Bailey and Bowie gained some bad weight when they went home after the season that they are working off. Bowie needs to get back on the field if he wants to take this competition.

Winston- Never been a good run blocker, but was a decent pass blocker earlier in his career. He was dreadful last year for the Cardinals, and it speaks volumes that no one wanted him until now. I have to wonder whether the Seahawks would have signed him had Bowie been healthy at the beginning of camp or had Britt showed better in pass pro.

Britt- He is going through what the vast majority of rookie offensive tackles go through--he's getting killed in pass pro and spending a lot of time on his back after getting knocked off balance. However, his run blocking looks impressive. A move inside to guard at some point might suit him.

Bailey- Incredible feet and athleticism for a lineman. Great in pass pro. His run blocking, on the other hand, is absolutely pitiful. He has all the potential in the world, Cable just has to draw that tenaciousness out of him. If Okung gets hurt, we will need Bailey to step up and finish off blocks on a consistent basis.

Gilliam- Has surprised some people with his athleticism and may actually have a chance to make the team. Technique wise, he is as raw as it gets. He has played on the offensive line for only one year after converting from TE as a senior. He lunges forward too much and loses his balance. The good news is his ceiling looks sky high with some proper coaching and development.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3rk2f5wz said:
At least Winston knows he will not face Kam Chancellor in a game.
iub8osQoC6r9F.gif

In that gif, I think Winston just didnt expect Kam to drop shoulder and hit him, rather he probably expected game to try and finesse his way around him.

Tical21

Reaction score
You don't get good right tackles off the street at this point in the season. If Winston was as good as everybody is making him out to be, another team would have come along and signed him a long time ago. I highly doubt he is an actual upgrade over Breno at this point in his career. If he plays well, that's awesome, but I'm hoping that we have somebody else capable of beating him out. If they're grooming Bailey for LT, wouldn't the obvious choice be to play him for a year at RT? Maybe not, I dunno.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
mrt144":zihk8xnw said:
hawknation2014":zihk8xnw said:
iub8osQoC6r9F.gif

In that gif, I think Winston just didnt expect Kam to drop shoulder and hit him, rather he probably expected game to try and finesse his way around him.

I think you're probably right about that. However, this was far from Winston's only embarrassing play from last season. His PFF grades give you a snap shot: -7.1 in pass blocking and a -8.4 in run blocking. The Cardinals averaged just 3.7 yards per run off right tackle, and Winston allowed an incredible 51 QB pressures. He also accounted for ten penalties.

Hopefully, he returns to his prior form now that he is returning to a zone blocking scheme. But my real hope is that Bowie or someone else steps up and stays healthy over the course of the season, so that Winston can be reserved as a valuable, veteran backup.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":29ij0d39 said:
You don't get good right tackles off the street at this point in the season. If Winston was as good as everybody is making him out to be, another team would have come along and signed him a long time ago. I highly doubt he is an actual upgrade over Breno at this point in his career. If he plays well, that's awesome, but I'm hoping that we have somebody else capable of beating him out. If they're grooming Bailey for LT, wouldn't the obvious choice be to play him for a year at RT? Maybe not, I dunno.
There is some speculation that his standing as NFLPA rep keeps teams away, and he said the other day he had interest from several teams and waited for a situation he liked.

None of that makes him good, but could explain way a league average player was still available

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2ojikjhb said:
iub8osQoC6r9F.gif

Winston was interviewed on Bob and Groz yesterday and asked about this play and whether he'd talked to Cam about it since getting to camp. He had one of the best answers I've ever heard. Hopefully someone can quickly link the podcast. I think Winston will gain a lot of fans from his answer alone. :th2thumbs:

A

Anonymous

Scottemojo":2vr3fnsp said:
Tical21":2vr3fnsp said:
There is some speculation that his standing as NFLPA rep keeps teams away, and he said the other day he had interest from several teams and waited for a situation he liked.

None of that makes him good, but could explain way a league average player was still available

Indeed.

It also speaks to the brashness of Pete and John to say "NFLPA rep? no problem". I think Winston can play, and he's a hec of a nice guy.

While I'm thinking about it, I think Pete and John would even help Belichick's spies to set up mics in our meeting rooms, they are just that dialed in.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":tvpll5m3 said:
Tical21":tvpll5m3 said:

Beat me to the punch.

Winston has also been very much a system OL (ZBS) his entire career. I don't know what kind of scheme Arizona ran. But there are plenty of reasons not to have picked him up. Age and scheme being two. He's also not merely an NFLPA rep. He's the president. There are a lot of teams out there who shy away from guys active in the union. You don't get more active as a player than Winston.

As it is, he's probably good depth and I would wager a signifcant upgrade to McQuistan trying to fill an OT role. Even if Bowie/Bailey ascend to starter or platoon starter status, we need depth. Britt wasn't a year one starter kind of prospect. We passed on those guys. And looking around the league at Bitonio/James -- they aren't lighting their camps on fire either.

I expected Britt to be a functional player in 2015 the moment we drafted him with hopes he'd really shine early as a guy who was better than expected. It appears he's going to need some development time which is no sin. The addition of Winston is valuable even if he's merely insurance so that we don't have to use Britt like we did Bowie last season.