Who wins the competition at Right Tackle?

Who starts at RT?

• Michael Bowie

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Eric Winston

Votes: 72 67.9%
  • Justin Britt

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Alvin Bailey

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Tical21

Reaction score
I guess I buy the Union Rep president reasoning to a point, but looking at the list of former presidents, as well as all of the guys currently on the executive committee, there aren't a bunch of guys that had problems finding work. The one I certainly don't buy is that there were a bunch of teams interested. TO and Randy Moss said that for quite a long time. If Winston came out and said "there haven't been any calls or offers", it doesn't make him sound very attractive. In reality, "the right situation" means a team willing to pay you to come play for them. If teams had given him offers, he wouldn't have simply passed on them, waiting for a team that just selected a right tackle in the second round to come by and make him an offer. You may pass on an opportunity to play for the Dolphins, and replace Jonathan Martin, or maybe another team or two, but not many.

I'm not saying either way definitively. I can't say I've followed his plight even somewhat closely. I just find it hard to believe that a decent starting caliber right tackle was just sitting out there on the streets this time of year, especially when offensive line, and tackle, are spots that more teams probably need help with than most other positions. That just never happens. Are we really that lucky?

kearly

Reaction score
Throwdown":15t6dc82 said:
chris98251":15t6dc82 said:
Maybe Net Eeyore was given to the wrong member .

Nah, tokadub is our best poster period.

Tokadub is probably the closest thing we will get to a real life Cartman or Stifler.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":3omhi94v said:
I'm not saying either way definitively. I can't say I've followed his plight even somewhat closely. I just find it hard to believe that a decent starting caliber right tackle was just sitting out there on the streets this time of year, especially when offensive line, and tackle, are spots that more teams probably need help with than most other positions. That just never happens. Are we really that lucky?

Seattle is pretty good at finding talent that goes under the radar. We picked up Clinton McDonald from the Bengals this time of year. Sure, it was from a trade, but word on the street was that McDonald wasn't going to make the cut for them. They picked up Raheem Brock and Brandon Stokely in September. Kinda depends on how strict your definition of "unwanted" is, but Seattle has done well with unwanted players who were acquired at the 11th hour.

As said before, I think Winston is a player under special circumstances. I think league average is slightly optimistic given his performance last year, though I think the scheme argument holds water.

MB12

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":l6ghcoiv said:
hawknation2014":l6ghcoiv said:
At least Winston knows he will not face Kam Chancellor in a game.
iub8osQoC6r9F.gif

Winston was interviewed on Bob and Groz yesterday and asked about this play and whether he'd talked to Cam about it since getting to camp. He had one of the best answers I've ever heard. Hopefully someone can quickly link the podcast. I think Winston will gain a lot of fans from his answer alone. :th2thumbs:

Can you not just tell us the answer? ;)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I find Winston very a humorous and intelligent speaker. He hasn't spoken to Kam about it yet. He made light of the situation. Paraphrasing of course.... He was half joking that Kam was not his assignment and was caught of guard. He also said basically that you play long enough you will eventually take your lumps. Seems like a good acquisition as he seems like a level-headed leader type this locker room may be missing.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":2coab0zx said:
Tical21":2coab0zx said:

Seattle is pretty good at finding talent that goes under the radar. We picked up Clinton McDonald from the Bengals this time of year. Sure, it was from a trade, but word on the street was that McDonald wasn't going to make the cut for them. They picked up Raheem Brock and Brandon Stokely in September. Kinda depends on how strict your definition of "unwanted" is, but Seattle has done well with unwanted players who were acquired at the 11th hour.

As said before, I think Winston is a player under special circumstances. I think league average is slightly optimistic given his performance last year, though I think the scheme argument holds water.
Sure, of course I agree that they're good at identifying talent others may not see. I don't know that the McDonald case qualifies. He was truly under the radar, and we traded for him. Stokley was considered to be basically done, so no real surprise that he would be available. The Brock one is probably a good comparison. I actually liked him quite a bit as a player in Indy, and now that I think about it, I'm surprised he sat there as long as he did. Maybe waiting for the "right situation." However, none of those guys were considered to be starting caliber, and not at tackle. He'll probably come in and be fine, but I just don't get why he was still there. There are probably almost 10 teams that could use a RT.

Jville

Reaction score
Requested Eric Winston audio>>> [urltargetblank]http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9975043&p=1014&n=Bob%20and%20Groz%20Show[/urltargetblank]

Cable now has added three veteran linemen coming out of man blocking schemes that he wants to look at in his zone scheme. They are Eric Winston, CJ Davis and Stephen Schilling,

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
It's a savvy strategic move to throw Britt to the wolves (Avril, Bennett, etc.) right away just to instill the reality of what he's up against. Then, sign a ZBS veteran to provide a model, as well as get the initial line to gel going into the season. I'm not saying they planned it that way, but it could work out nicely. As Britt (who played in an entirely different collegiate, spread, two-point-stance system) starts to "get it," he can rotate in here and there. If and when Bowie gets back up to speed, he'll give the coaches a third option and they'll battle it out.

All the while, that knowledgable vet is our best bet at starting the season with an in-step O-line. Without a pick in the top half of the 1st round, this is about as good as we can have it right now.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2rxz2gmx said:
Bailey- Incredible feet and athleticism for a lineman. Great in pass pro. His run blocking, on the other hand, is absolutely pitiful.

Agree with the first sentence; however, the second sentence is absolute hyperbole. At present, he is a serviceable run blocker who will get much better over time. This isn't some ballerina who only has footwork and balance as a forte; Baily is a powerful dude.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":t9au6so0 said:
hawknation2014":t9au6so0 said:
Bailey- Incredible feet and athleticism for a lineman. Great in pass pro. His run blocking, on the other hand, is absolutely pitiful.

Agree with the first sentence; however, the second sentence is absolute hyperbole. At present, he is a serviceable run blocker who will get much better over time. This isn't some ballerina who only has footwork and balance as a forte; Baily is a powerful dude.

Bailey has been HORRIBLE as a run blocker.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":2z4uqjau said:
I guess I buy the Union Rep president reasoning to a point, but looking at the list of former presidents, as well as all of the guys currently on the executive committee, there aren't a bunch of guys that had problems finding work. The one I certainly don't buy is that there were a bunch of teams interested. TO and Randy Moss said that for quite a long time. If Winston came out and said "there haven't been any calls or offers", it doesn't make him sound very attractive. In reality, "the right situation" means a team willing to pay you to come play for them. If teams had given him offers, he wouldn't have simply passed on them, waiting for a team that just selected a right tackle in the second round to come by and make him an offer. You may pass on an opportunity to play for the Dolphins, and replace Jonathan Martin, or maybe another team or two, but not many.

What does it matter?

Winston is here now. What matters is today and tomorrow. Not what he did on a different team in a different scheme. He brings with him 119 starts, what seems like a great work ethic with a lunch pail mentaility, plus tremendous experience in a ZBS.

If Winston starts he starts, if he doesn't he doesn't but either way in the here and now he provides competition for Britt (because Bowie is not) , leadership for all, and has a small learning curve so Cable can focus his coaching elsewhere .. and that makes the team better.

And people see the value in this signing when taking off the homer goggles, they see that that the replacement level at RT isn't great. Winston is likely a step-up from Giacomini, and two steps-up from Michael Bowie.

Britt I'm unsure about until I see him in the Pre-Season. A lot of people around here act like players have maxed out their potential, hit their ceiling, and can't progress their abilities or strengthen their weaknesses when they even haven't become a full-fledge veteran yet.

One day of practice people already have their minds made up about a player.

HawkWow

Reaction score
And then there were 3.

But Walt looks good. He'd probably challenge for the 1 spot even today. Hope he announces this during his acceptance speech.

pmedic920

Reaction score
kearly":1iidcef5 said:
Throwdown":1iidcef5 said:
chris98251":1iidcef5 said:
Maybe Net Eeyore was given to the wrong member .

Nah, tokadub is our best poster period.

Tokadub is probably the closest thing we will get to a real life Cartman or Stifler.

Is his mom Hot, like Stifler's?
That kinda would give him a pass. :{)

ctrcat

Reaction score
Don't like Winston (as a starting option). There will be better value after all cuts are made.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20, what if our D-line is up to par with the Rams, and making our offensive line look less than stellar, just a thought.