Who would replace Bevell?

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3otecuu2 said:
HawkFan72":3otecuu2 said:
McGruff":3otecuu2 said:
HawkFan72":3otecuu2 said:
I know what play call Tom Cable would have made yesterday.

But look at Cables history. It's horrid.

I still know he would have made the right decision yesterday.

One hypothetical decision does not trump years of coaching failure.

Please, can you explain to us in detail these coaching failure by Cable. Unless it's Bevell who designs the run game here and actually got to .500 in Oakland?

McGruff

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1s1rhboe said:
McGruff":1s1rhboe said:
-The Glove-":1s1rhboe said:
At this point, anyone would be better, really. Russell owns up, Carroll owns up, and Bevell places blame all around. You can't keep a guy like that around

Any would be better is fine until you find out anyone is worse.
You still think the players have faith in a guy that throws his players under the bus?
That's the point

That's your point, but it's not THE point. THE point is can we get better in that role.

bandiger

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":2jz6lxu7 said:
It's easy to replace him. Just find someone who knows the value of Lynch, and is willing to call read-options and bootlegs with our QB.

Anyone from the Kubiak/Shanahan coaching tree?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At one point, Bevell's name was in the air as a potential HC option for other teams.

I have to assume that as organized a HC as Pete is, he must have started a shortlist for possible replacements at OC if the OC was hired away.

So the idea that there might not be many options at OC is unlikely.

Whether WE know the best replacement for Bevell is likely not material. We DO know that a replacement for Bevell is best. And we assuredly have options in making that call.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think I've been pretty level headed about not commenting much about Bevell in the past. I'm now starting to get pulled over (or at least persuaded) into the "need a change at OC" camp. In one sense, he's part of the reason the Hawks are there in the first place. But, looking forward as to what would be best for this team offense, if there's another candidate that would be better for the long haul... I could be down for that at this point. Seeing that photo of Marshawn flippin the bird to the sideline (game vs. Cardinals) while lining up for the play seems telling.

Changing the OC into next season would carry low risk IMHO. I think they would only stand to improve. Wouldn't be too tough to maintain and build upon what is in place. Just as teams scout possible replacement players, I'm sure there are known coaching candidates that are ripe for such an opportunity. An OC job would be an upgrade for many coaches and teams should (or have to?) allow interviews. There's got to be a bright mind out there waiting for an opportunity like this. Again, for the long haul, this might be the time to make a change there.

I think the only way it happens is if there is truly issues between Lynch (and others) and Bevell. Tough to go into battle if the leader has lost the faith of his troops. What if the Seahawks replace Bevell and turn that offense into a machine while maintaining the swag on Defense? Perhaps Seahawks fans can one day look back on this painful blunder as a blessing in disguise.

I say all this not completely convinced Bevell is the issue. But, calling a high risk slant in that situation is more than enough reason to starting questioning something there. I've read the rationales. Still, I haven't heard a decent excuse for it. But, that's what they did and we have to live with it. Someone said Lynch was only 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line all season. But, the collective hindsight is they over-thought the situation. They out-coached themselves.

People do make mistakes and this one was on stage for the world to see. Sometimes it's appropriate for changes. Perhaps it's time for Bevell to go.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":3obq4vab said:
McGruff":3obq4vab said:
Austin Hawk":3obq4vab said:
It's easy to replace him. Just find someone who knows the value of Lynch, and is willing to call read-options and bootlegs with our QB.

Overly simplistic and yet still not an easy task.

How about someone that understands the identity of the team. A playcaller who will go down making the opposition beat their offensive strength. Last night isn't new, it wasn't a surprise to anyone paying attention. That's who Bevell is. On key downs he'll go for trickery over the teams strength. Go back and watch week one...even though they won I pointed it out then too.

"Who would replace Hasselbeck?" - Probably you in 2010? Demanding someone name a replacement is intellectual drivel.

As far as Cable's coaching record, umm, are you revising history a bit here? He did a damn good job with the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL. He gave that team an identity of toughness. And, he's also made the Seahawks rushing attack the best in the NFL for a few years now. What, oh what are you talking about?

I was on record day one saying just make Cable the OC, he matched Pete's vision. And, since he's been hired he's given this offense an identity.

Tom Cable's Resume . . .

11-35 as the HC of Idaho
17-27 as the HC of the Raiders

He has been an OC once in his career, with UCLA in 2004-2005. 10 years ago.

During his time here his lines have been among the worst in the NFL. There are a source of constant consternation.

Seriously, if Tom Cable is the answer, I don't want to know the question.

White Devil

Reaction score
pehawk":2muytuu4 said:
McGruff":2muytuu4 said:
Austin Hawk":2muytuu4 said:

How about someone that understands the identity of the team. A playcaller who will go down making the opposition beat their offensive strength. Last night isn't new, it wasn't a surprise to anyone paying attention. That's who Bevell is. On key downs he'll go for trickery over the teams strength. Go back and watch week one...even though they won I pointed it out then too.

"Who would replace Hasselbeck?" - Probably you in 2010? Demanding someone name a replacement is intellectual drivel.

As far as Cable's coaching record, umm, are you revising history a bit here? He did a damn good job with the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL. He gave that team an identity of toughness. And, he's also made the Seahawks rushing attack the best in the NFL for a few years now. What, oh what are you talking about?

I was on record day one saying just make Cable the OC, he matched Pete's vision. And, since he's been hired he's given this offense an identity.

THIS. All of this.

McGruff

Reaction score
Exittium":2869xk1e said:
Russell's coach from Wisconsin?

His head coach? Bret Bielema has been Russell's biggest proponent since entering the league, but he's a defensive coach.

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":22l5gw7q said:
pehawk":22l5gw7q said:
McGruff":22l5gw7q said:
Austin Hawk":22l5gw7q said:

Tom Cable's Resume . . .

11-35 as the HC of Idaho
17-27 as the HC of the Raiders

He has been an OC once in his career, with UCLA in 2004-2005. 10 years ago.

During his time here his lines have been among the worst in the NFL. There are a source of constant consternation.

Seriously, if Tom Cable is the answer, I don't want to know the question.

Hmm, so the run game, his responsibility on the Seahawks has been lacking? Got it!

And, totally disagree with your take on his Oakland tenure. You must not watch a lot of NFL games or follow the league too well. If you did you'd understand what he accomplished there was pretty damn impressive. That's the hardest place in the league to win.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":2eg9dmm9 said:
McGruff":2eg9dmm9 said:
Austin Hawk":2eg9dmm9 said:

No, in 2010 I was saying Tavaris Jackson mnade the most sense to replace Hass because . . .

A) He knew the offense.
B) He was the best QB on the market.

So all I am looking for here are some viable possibilities. Really. That's all I want. Some names to look into that might fit what we know Carroll wants to do.

I admit Cable is an option. I just don't think he's a very good one, Maybe he's learned some things from Pete, but he's a traditional uncreative coordinator who would be coaching a creative QB, and that just seems like a disaster to me.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
HawkFan72":fdy5uf0c said:
McGruff":fdy5uf0c said:
HawkFan72":fdy5uf0c said:
I know what play call Tom Cable would have made yesterday.

But look at Cables history. It's horrid.

I still know he would have made the right decision yesterday.

You believe that if Cable had been the OC the entire game we would have been in a situation to win the game at the 1 yard line? I don't. He's right Cable's history is not that great and I would have not trusted him to get us in a situation to win the game.

Exittium

Reaction score
McGruff":3hrwpxtu said:
Exittium":3hrwpxtu said:
Russell's coach from Wisconsin?

His head coach? Bret Bielema has been Russell's biggest proponent since entering the league, but he's a defensive coach.

Ahh, I didn't I'm know I don't want college football much, but think I'm going to start lol

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":39wxgjvg said:
Hmm, so the run game, his responsibility on the Seahawks has been lacking? Got it!

And, totally disagree with your take on his Oakland tenure. You must not watch a lot of NFL games or follow the league too well. If you did you'd understand what he accomplished there was pretty damn impressive. That's the hardest place in the league to win.

I watch enough games to know that the run game in Seattle is about 75% Marshawn Lynch draggin defenders from 2 yards deep to 3 yards forward, and 25% Marshawn Lynch turning 5 yard gains into 15 yard gains.

He had one good season in Oakland, and even that was 8-8. I know that team is dysfunctional, but hiring a guy based on an 8-8 record 5 years ago seems pretty risky to me.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
pehawk":270q5aos said:

Cable also did great things as the OC at UCLA. I don't think he squanders as many opportunities. We win this game going away.

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":rk42nu6a said:
pehawk":rk42nu6a said:

I watch enough games to know that the run game in Seattle is about 75% Marshawn Lynch draggin defenders from 2 yards deep to 3 yards forward, and 25% Marshawn Lynch turning 5 yard gains into 15 yard gains.

He had one good season in Oakland, and even that was 8-8. I know that team is dysfunctional, but hiring a guy based on an 8-8 record 5 years ago seems pretty risky to me.

Cable's line and run plays we're routinely getting 2-3 yards of push.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":2e2vtnv0 said:
Cable's line and run plays we're routinely getting 2-3 yards of push.

I'm not seeing that at all. I'm seeing Marshawn regularly getting hit behind the line and grinding out positive yards.

McGruff

Reaction score
FTR, I am fine with replacing Bevell. I think the locker room is going to struggle to recover from that last call.

But, I also know that Bevell's offense the last 3 years has been among the statistically best in Seattle's history. We've scored more points than any Seahawks team in the last 25 years (with the exception of 2005). He changed his coaching philosophy to adapt to Russell Wilson and the big play mantra of Pete Carroll. His coaching is at least partly (probably significantly) responsible for managing Wilson's early career. Bevell is not some chump. he's a good coach who has weaknesses, like any other coach.

I just don't think its easy to replace him. I don't think "anyone could do better" overall. The last call was a mistake. He's made other mistakes as well. But he's also done a lot of good things here. Replacing him with a 12 year old and a madden pklaybook is not the answer.

So who is? Who is the answer? What are the possibilities?

MrThortan

Reaction score
Not sure who is available for the position. Have doubts that cable is the answer. Hell, this team is made up of guys that were undrafted or in late rounds. Maybe we take a chance on some nobody who is coaching in college that Schneider and Pete see as having "the stuff". I wouldn't be surprised if Bevell was still the OC next year though

McGruff

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":1lio3jzh said:
Steve Sarkisian if Pete had his way.

There is an interesting suggestion. I dont think we could get him away from USC, but at least its a real name.

Latest posts