Who would Seahawks have got if not Coach Pete?

Subzero717

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":tim2pokd said:
The way I remember it, Mora got fired unexpectedly and the announcement of his replacement being Pete came very quickly... like less than a week so there wasn't a lot of time for speculation. I'm going to go check on the dates of Mora's firing and Pete's hiring.

Yep, I was right... Mora was fired on January 8th (2010) and Mort reported that Pete was about to be hired by the Seahawks... on the same day... and Pete was officially hired on January 11th as it took a couple of days to finalize his contract.

There really was no other candidate than Pete.

There may have been a couple of days of speculation but Pete was Paul's choice and they got it done quickly.

Lest we forget the role that Todd Leiweke played in the firing/hiring... from wiki...
Leiweke was the key deciding factor in the firing of former Seattle Seahawks coach Jim Mora Jr. in January 2010,[3] And also was the main benefactor in the hiring of USC coach Pete Carroll.

Paul Allen was the key decider in both from the way I saw it. Thats just me.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Heyseed":37ha3anf said:
Gruden is who I was hoping for, BUT, I wouldn't trade P.C. for anyone.
The fact that Hairbaughl didn't happen, proves that there is a GOD.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":pufj2617 said:
The way I remember it, Mora got fired unexpectedly and the announcement of his replacement being Pete came very quickly... like less than a week so there wasn't a lot of time for speculation. I'm going to go check on the dates of Mora's firing and Pete's hiring.

I remember Mora being fired at around lunch time, and Carroll being the favorite about an hour later.

So that decision happened long before any of us first heard about it.

The hold up on the official announcement was indeed related to the Rooney Rule interview

chris98251

Reaction score
Mora made the situation happen with throwing players under the bus, Front office had to do something and we flew to SC to talk to Pete. Not sure what would have happened if Pete would have said no, but the Seahawks were trying to scoop poop off our shoes with what was going on.

Subzero717

Reaction score
↑ I believe the decision to fire Mora had been made already. One plan was to hire Dungy as team President. Dungy declined and Pete was hired. The reason that sticks out is because the DC football team either did ignore Rooney rule or tried to. PTI (Wilbon) lumped us in with the DC football team until it was revealed that Dungy had been aproached without public knowledge. It was at that point Wilbon stated he had stuck his foot in his mouth without knowing all the facts and he apologized.

Dungy stated he would have hired Frazier but I cant remember the order or if he officially did. He may have been flown to LA as a formality to comply with the rule but I cant remember exactly to a T how it happened unless I just explained the T.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":14n83fz0 said:
Probably Mora, but since they were so willing to blow it up, most likely not. Folks were pining over Gruden and Cowher. I remember hearing that the thought was they approached Dungy about coaching as well as running the whole show. Mr. Allen was looking for an impact coach, so who would have fit the bill in 2910 if not Carroll?

I'm not sure Pete will fill the bill in 2910, although he certainly seems to have unnatural long life...

drdiags

Reaction score
GeekHawk":28q9c3o2 said:
I'm not sure Pete will fill the bill in 2910, although he certainly seems to have unnatural long life...

I need to give up typing, eyesight stinks to high heaven. Voice to text has a higher chance of getting it right than my thoughts to typed text does.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":17qcicw0 said:
onanygivensunday":17qcicw0 said:

I remember Mora being fired at around lunch time, and Carroll being the favorite about an hour later.

So that decision happened long before any of us first heard about it.

The hold up on the official announcement was indeed related to the Rooney Rule interview

But Mora could not return as coach. He had lost the team and many on here knew he couldn't be the coach another year if the team was going to be competitive. So a lot of the speculation started before Mora was let go. It was shocking that the team fired him after only one year, but not shocking at the same time because he was horrible.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
If I remember right, there was a story saying Mora had a small chance to remain our HC until the feelers for potential GM candidates came back with them saying Mora would certainly have to go for them to take the gig.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Mora was gone as Allen had hired a consultant group to the vet the team, and the direction it should go. I'm pretty sure they came to Allen with candidates for both GM & Coaching and that sealed the deal for Mora.

Latest posts