Votes: 28 22.8%
  • Schneider

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 13.8%

• Total voters

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I wish we could assign percentages, it's definitely not all on one person, though the biggest single reason is Bevell, IMO.

Ozzy

Reaction score
StoneCold":84orgkwc said:
I chose other for two reasons. One it's everyone's fault. Pete, coaches, players. Who is most to blame, to me is a silly question for a team that won 10 games, the Division and a playoff game. Drop the tie and win a couple of other close games and it's a completely different story. The point of which is, the team is not that far from where it needs to be to have another very competitive season with a shot at the SB.

I just don't feel the need to find "The Fix" that explains and cures everything that ails this team. It does not need to be blown up.

I agree. Even the addition of one league average lineman could be enough to really make a visible difference come next year. I think they end up doing more but my point is we aren't that far off from being where we always are and right back in contention.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Why isn't Russell Wilson on the list? His accuracy leaves a lot to be desired considering he is the second highest paid QB in the he league. Bevell calls quite few good plays during the game which Russell flat out misses, or doesn't read properly. He is contributing to the difficulties as much as the coaching staff.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/821483959808704512[/tweet]

mrt144

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2cbjh155 said:
Why isn't Russell Wilson on the list? His accuracy leaves a lot to be desired considering he is the second highest paid QB in the he league. Bevell calls quite few good plays during the game which Russell flat out misses, or doesn't read properly. He is contributing to the difficulties as much as the coaching staff.

His accuracy leaves a lot to be desired? He had a down year to be sure but missing open guys in reads is not the same as not accurately throwing - even by his own standards he was less accurate but still better than most the NFL. If he's the QB the FO thinks he is, maybe he can be coached better, if not, it is what it is and everyone just has to deal.

And salaries aren't ever aligned with actual performance. Market forces.

bandiger

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2y7ioh1w said:

Good point Wilson has been lackluster for most games. Part of it could be due to lack of confidence in this Oline, hasn't recovered fully from that injury, too much bulk, etc.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":w11n1325 said:

Thank you, took my option for me. I also vote Russell.

Throughout the years, we've seen snapshots like this of Wilson missing open receivers, or simply overthrowing them and missing on the big play Pete wants.

Yes, the O line has hampered his development as a quarterback, and yes he's had back to back 4k passing seasons.

But, he's the one ultimately running the show on the field. The red zone struggles are partially Bevell not utilizing Graham, calling in the plays with 15 seconds or fewer on the playclock, and a lack of situational awareness. But why does Kearse get the redzone targets over Kearse? Wilson has given Graham hardly any jump ball opportunities in the red zone (the whole reason they brought him here, yes?) and instead he throws it to his buddy Kearse with a whopping one touchdown.

Wilson needs to step up in playoff games. His numbers are average in the post season, I created a thread a couple weeks showing that.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Russ definitely was void of that passing touch we've come to expect Saturday. I can think of two throws to Doug and one more to PRich that had they not been overthrown, would have been touchdowns. They were all on separate drives too, so that's 21 points. And then you see this 4-screen illustration on plays where receivers were open, but not thrown too. I do task Bevell on addressing this and trying to prepare Russ to trust his receiver will make the route work. But that is a tightrope too, because Pete won't tolerate turnovers as part of the formula.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1kfupgyn said:
Russ definitely was void of that passing touch we've come to expect Saturday. I can think of two throws to Doug and one more to PRich that had they not been overthrown, would have been touchdowns. They were all on separate drives too, so that's 21 points. And then you see this 4-screen illustration on plays where receivers were open, but not thrown too. I do task Bevell on addressing this and trying to prepare Russ to trust his receiver will make the route work. But that is a tightrope too, because Pete won't tolerate turnovers as part of the formula.

Discounting the injury affecting his throwing mechanics, which I believe it did...

What do you do with a super competitive player who has a ton of talent, utilizes it successfully often, but isn't maximizing his potential and the opportunities given? Saying he needs to play better is a truism of any player - he needs to be given guidance on how to do it and if he can't digest the guidance you start planning around that short coming.

razor150

Reaction score
It is all of the above, but I chose Cable. The biggest reason is because Carroll and Schnieder get Cable the guys he wants, they all say it. These are Cable's guys, and it has been that way since the beginning. So Carroll and Schnieder get blame for listening to Cable, but Cable gets blame for the choices. Cable is the one who wants those DTs, TEs, and basketball players to convert to offensive lineman. Yet the only conversion project to have worked is Sweazy, and he isn't that good. He's the one that had Garry Gilliam penciled in as starting LT before the year started, he's the one that wanted Webb and Sowell. He's also the one that chose to start Drew Nowak over Patrick Lewis, and thought it was just peachy keen to keep Fant in as starting left tackle. He's also the one responsible for putting together a line that on game day has no idea who they are supposed to block.

We can all point out the misses that happened, but how much of that is because of Cable not being able to coach them? After all, the entire time Cable has been here he hasn't been able to coach a guy up enough to actually make it worth resigning them. As much as it make sense to keep your homegrown guys, do we really want to pay that much money to have a line that is Okung, Carpenter, Unger, Sweazy, and Giacomini? Our offense would be better, but who would we not have to retain a bad to mediocre offensive line?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tough question, because football is one of the most complicated of all sports, dozens of moving parts and individuals involved that determine success for failure.

So I'm going to have to cop out and give you percentages of blame.

Pete: 50%: When you have the keys to the kingdom as Allen has given Pete, you're the most to blame for the failures of your team. Pete has kept the same coaches. Pete hasn't addressed the O-line correctly. Pete hasn't evolved his scheme and philosophical game planning and playcalling abilities.

John 20%: From day #1 John has had a terrible track record of identifying O-line talent. You can't refuse to pay guys like Unger, Okung, Sweezy, Carp, etc and not replace them adequately through the draft or FA.

Bevell 20%: As much as this is Pete's team, Bevell's multi layered showing the same formations and motion in the first half to open up success in the second half hasn't worked, and is predictable to defend. As with Pete, he needs to evolve more as a playcaller. Wan't more evident than the game against Atlanta where Shanahan made Bevell look like he was calling plays for a junior high team.

Cable 10%: Fair or not, Cable hasn't worked his magic this year with the O-line like he has in the past making chicken salad out of chicken crap.

Latest posts