Why did we draft Pocic?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":10wb2d8m said:
pittpnthrs":10wb2d8m said:
Sooooo, let me get this straight. Pocic looked better than the current players that are starting when he actually played, but yet, he is sitting on the bench only because the coaching staff want the other garbage players to gain some cohesion and because Pocic is a rookie.

Do I have everything covered?

Pretty much.

They're looking to get by with an experienced, veteran unit. Fant would've helped a lot, but oh well. They're emphasizing experience over all else and letting Pocic sit and learn.

They think the mistake is that they went far too young on the line last year. They're trying to correct it

I'm not sure about this. Why did they keep Glowinski in until he got hurt? Aboushi has not only played better and added experience to the line, he seems to have helped the O-line's communication and Ifedi in general. That said, Oday is only in because of previous said injury to Glowinski. Did they not see this in the off season and or preseason?

AgentDib

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":39x0jgya said:
Why did they keep Glowinski in until he got hurt? ... That said, Oday is only in because of previous said injury to Glowinski.
Do you have a source for this?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
AgentDib":1pzdbq8e said:
seahawkfreak":1pzdbq8e said:
Why did they keep Glowinski in until he got hurt? ... That said, Oday is only in because of previous said injury to Glowinski.
Do you have a source for this?

Glowinski got hurt and they put Aboushi in. Did I miss something, I could be wrong but that seems to be the situation.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2kwjp48i said:
pittpnthrs":2kwjp48i said:
Sooooo, let me get this straight. Pocic looked better than the current players that are starting when he actually played, but yet, he is sitting on the bench only because the coaching staff want the other garbage players to gain some cohesion and because Pocic is a rookie.

Pretty much.

They're looking to get by with an experienced, veteran unit. Fant would've helped a lot, but oh well. They're emphasizing experience over all else and letting Pocic sit and learn.

They think the mistake is that they went far too young on the line last year. They're trying to correct it.

That makes no sense at all. Why on earth would a staff or somebody sit a superior talent to the people that are actually playing? Especially in such an area of need. Sounds like a very thin excuse for Pocic sitting. Would anybody or does anybody agree with such an idea? Does anybody think we are better off sitting a more talented player? That's just absurd to even imagine. Why would we worsen ourselves on purpose? I didn't watch any preseason games to any extent, but I'm having a hard time believing Pocic is actually any better than the people that are already out there playing.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2nxofpzx said:
Maelstrom787":2nxofpzx said:
pittpnthrs":2nxofpzx said:

Pretty much.

They think the mistake is that they went far too young on the line last year. They're trying to correct it.

That makes no sense at all. Why on earth would a staff or somebody sit a superior talent to the people that are actually playing? Especially in such an area of need. Sounds like a very thin excuse for Pocic sitting. Would anybody or does anybody agree with such an idea? Does anybody thing we are better off sitting a more talented player? That's just absurd to even imagine. I didn't watch any preseason games to any extent, but I'm having a hard time believing Pocic is actually any better than the people that are already out there playing.

Well this making no sense would not be a first for this regimes staff.

In fact the next makes no sense move I expect is to Trade Britt, insert Pocic and promote Hunt.

getnasty

Reaction score
When has Pete ever not played the better person? If they thought he would be an upgrade over any person on that line he'd be playing right now, there's no way that Pete is gonna risk the health of Russ and the success of this team for all the reason you guys have posted above. At the same time Pete's not going to come out and say Pocic isn't good enough to start, he'll use coach speak and say oh yeah he's most valuable as a backup center right now. If he was a better option at the moment he'd be playing the coaching staff doesn't see it that way.

massari

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2ua1yi9k said:
massari":2ua1yi9k said:
Honestly, when it comes to the OL, I trust the general consensus on forums and analysts more than JS/PC/TC. If they were to pick an OL in the 2nd, most were calling for Moton or Dawkins, both of which have looked pretty good so far, and at tackle no less. Pocic hasn't even been able to crack a terrible OL for one snap on offense. Hopefully that changes soon.

Really?
Wow, just wow. Draft is a crap shoot and a few posters guess right and you "trust them". I'm glad you aren't hiring Seahawk FO staff.
I'll say!

OL drafted by the Seahawks from 2010 on.

Russell Okung 6th overall pick
James Carptenter 1st round pick
Germain Ifedi
Justin Britt
Ethan Pocic
John Moffitt
Rees Odhiambo
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Garrett Scott
Kristjan Sokoli
Joey Hunt
Justin Senior
J.R. Sweezy
Ryan Seymour
Michael Bowie

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2oo3ross said:
When has Pete ever not played the better person? If they though he would be an upgrade over any person on that line he'd be playing right now, there's no way that Pete is gonna risk the health of Russ and the success of this team for all the reason you guys have posted above. At the same time Pete's not going to come out and say Pocic isn't good enough to start, he'll use coach speak and say oh yeah he's most valuable as a backup center right now. If he was a better option at the moment he'd be playing the coaching staff doesn't see it that way.
Exactly. And that doesn't mean Pocic's a bust, he's just matriculating and serving a backup role. The question is how wide of a gap exists between him and the person he is backing up?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1cu8qumn said:
He's the only backup center and both Pete and Cable have said that they don't want to risk him getting injured playing another position.
Those two are perfectly willing to risk the only QB however.

AgentDib

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2umr7quv said:
Glowinski got hurt and they put Aboushi in. Did I miss something, I could be wrong but that seems to be the situation.
I don't think that's true, which is why I'm wondering if you have a source for your claim. Note that injury reporting in the NFL is closely scrutinized and you can view our historical injury reports via .com here.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
AgentDib":9h0tdlnh said:
seahawkfreak":9h0tdlnh said:
I don't think that's true, which is why I'm wondering if you have a source for your claim. Note that injury reporting in the NFL is closely scrutinized and you can view our historical injury reports via .com here.

This is interesting. I looked everywhere to see why Glowinski was inactive and can not find anything. It seems he basically lost his spot and the FO made him inactive. Never heard of a player getting benched and then made inacative without any further explanation. Media just says Glowinski is inactive and Aboushi will take his place without any further expansion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2d577dfe said:
AgentDib":2d577dfe said:
seahawkfreak":2d577dfe said:

This is interesting. I looked everywhere to see why Glowinski was inactive and can not find anything. It seems he basically lost his spot and the FO made him inactive. Never heard of a player getting benched and then made inacative without any further explanation. Media just says Glowinski is inactive and Aboushi will take his place without any further expansion.

Glowinksi didn't get hurt, unless you consider stinking up the joint an injury. He got utterly destroyed in the Titans game, so he got benched.

As far as Pocic goes, he was drafted for depth, competition and to hopefully slowly work his way into the starting lineup in the next couple of years. If you thought he was some stud lineman that could step in day one, then that's on you.

He's a very good college lineman that can play multiple positions along the line. But he's obviously not ready to be a full time starter.............yet.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The long-suffering frustration of this team's OL unit is clouding the water, here. In many instances, fans would know not to expect a rookie 2nd-rounder to contribute immediately. Especially given the fact that Pete and John wanted to field a more experienced line this season--that seemed to be priority #1 in terms of how to get better.

But the frustration of having a shit offensive line is kind of like gasoline on the flame of draft pick judgment. I totally get it.

I think Pocic will be just fine, ultimately.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
massari":1xm4upg8 said:
Mad Dog":1xm4upg8 said:
massari":1xm4upg8 said:
Honestly, when it comes to the OL, I trust the general consensus on forums and analysts more than JS/PC/TC. If they were to pick an OL in the 2nd, most were calling for Moton or Dawkins, both of which have looked pretty good so far, and at tackle no less. Pocic hasn't even been able to crack a terrible OL for one snap on offense. Hopefully that changes soon.

Really?
Wow, just wow. Draft is a crap shoot and a few posters guess right and you "trust them". I'm glad you aren't hiring Seahawk FO staff.
I'll say!

OL drafted by the Seahawks from 2010 on.

Russell Okung 6th overall pick
James Carptenter 1st round pick
Germain Ifedi
Justin Britt
Ethan Pocic
John Moffitt
Rees Odhiambo
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Garrett Scott
Kristjan Sokoli
Joey Hunt
Justin Senior
J.R. Sweezy
Ryan Seymour
Michael Bowie

Last I checked, Okung, Carpenter, Ifedi, Britt, Sweezy were still starting in the NFL. In fact if we'd paid those guys, it likely wouldn't be an awful OL at all. But we prefer to pay studs on defense and let Cable coach up young OL into a reasonable unit. I'm not sure that strategy is best but since we are still having winning seasons and winning playoff games, who am I to criticize.
The Holmgren era had a stud OL and a cheap pedestrian defense. We went to a SB and lost. Maybe that strategy isn't so hot either.

You can't pay everybody. I don't think we are that bad at drafting OL. I think we are just not willing to pay big bucks for non-all pro players at that position.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think you have nailed it MD.

The team is paying the least for their Oline in the league for the 2nd year in a row despite having $7.25 mil. assigned to the Joeckel deal. He'd stepped forward as a G last season until he was hurt and it was worth taking a shot with him to see if he had got it as a pro OLinemean. Somehow it looks as if we may have overpaid but it is still early. I know there are some here that say it isn't a team policy to pay low on the OLine but factually 2 seasons in a row paying the lowest and with a rookie starter at the LT position isn't helping when the player isn't getting the job done to reasonable standard.

Pocic was probably drafted as insurance for Britt not re-upping with the team as MD initially observed. He's a better C than he is a G so he hasn't cracked the starting OLine group yet, but it is again early for him. I can see him becoming a fixture on the interior line in the future, and I suspect we will all be happy with his play. He did show some flashes of ability in the preseason so I can't say he was a worthless pick.

The team had hoped Fant was going to step up at LT this season and he'd done the work in the offseason to learn and get appreciably stronger. sadly he got hurt in a freak accidental roll up. That injury changed the direction of the team for their plans with the OLine, at least at LT. cobbling to gether an new oLine every season and hoping it will play at a reasonable level is a risky strategy that the team has managed to carry off to limited degree to now just barely. We all are holding our noses

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I guess my biggest problem with the whole deal is that we passed on some offensive lineman in the draft that are starting right now in the league and are being successful and clearly looking better than the people we are sending out there on Sundays. How can a team that has a line as bad as ours feel that they are in a position to only draft a reserve player? People keep bringing up Fant, but lets be honest, he was God awful last season and thinking he was going to be anything but that again this year is nothing more than a reach. There were players in the draft that were better than him immediately and we just refuse to grab them for some reason. It'll be a miracle if Wilson doesnt get hurt at some point this season and the FO has nobody but themselves to blame.

Sorry for beating this dead horse guys. Just frustrated.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sure it's frustrating but revisiting the draft with the disasrters of Fant and McDowell staring us in the face is a bit harsh on the FO as they had a plan but it got frustrated.

Seymour

Reaction score
I think people just don't realize that backup center is such an extremely important position and it should not be taken lightly. Please don't forget that at that position Pocic may actually have to play football one day! You wouldn't want to gamble on that much importance with a 6th round choice now would you (Joey Hunt pick)? :twisted:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Totally agree!

I suspect the team thinks Pocic is a better interior candidate going forward than Hunt is which is why they kept Pocic, (perhaps too obvious).

I also think the team thought Pocic might be able to be used elsewhere on the OLine than at C if Britt got re-upped, they may have realized during practice that Pocic was better playing inside rather than at T as he was initially announced and he was sadly lower down the DC than others like Aboushi or Joeckel and further that his skillset was not at T. the injury to Fant caused the team to scramble for castoffs from elsewhwere at T and to play Odhiambo at a position he appears poorly suited top play adequately.

Still think Pocic may turn out to be a solid OLine addition.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1sgw9u3w said:
I also think the team thought Pocic might be able to be used elsewhere on the OLine than at C if Britt got re-upped.

This.

You know John, Pete and Cable love guys who can play multiple positions along the line.

That way we can be mediocre to below mediocre at 4 of 5 O-line positions, instead of good at 3-4 by drafting pure guards and tackles with 4 years of college experience at one spot.