Why don't we ever, ever, ever, ever see Christine Michael?

chris98251

Reaction score
I thought it was so when the Cowboys make a Trade for Peterson we have a RB to offer the Vikings for Patterson, Turbin :)

I did see a inferred artical about the Cowboy thing, a reverse Herschel Walker type of trade being hypothetetically mused. Of course Jerry said that to talk about another teams player would be breaking the rules.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Basis4day":y27c2b93 said:
Pete has basically said all of the above. Either believe Pete's explanation (Which makes compete sense) or don't.
It is not as simple as who runs a simple power player in garbage time between Turbin and Michael.

If Michael is inactive, accept it. It doesn't need to be some convoluted conspiracy.

Ease off there pal. It's a perfectly good conversation that doesn't need the thread police to tell us how to think. :roll:

ivotuk

Reaction score
scakfan":1rzbjzld said:
It has to do with pass blocking, reading zone blocking, and the need for depth in other areas. This is basically his redshirt year where he is coached up in practice to learn the offense and how to better handle the skills I mentioned.

I think this pretty much covers it. You can bet that Christine is going to be hungry and when he gets his chance, he will be amazing. I think the Tate comparison might be an apt one too.

Donn2390

Reaction score
ivotuk":14g4az4w said:
OkieHawk":14g4az4w said:
He's like Nessie. Something you've heard about, but only see while drunk and alone because he doesn't want any witnesses. Or that could have been a goal post pylon, whatever.

I had a girlfriend like Nessie....at least i think she was real'? :D

Did you play for Notre Dame by any chance?

hawk45

Reaction score
Basis4day":1z5fz6kz said:
scakfan":1z5fz6kz said:
It has to do with pass blocking, reading zone blocking, and the need for depth in other areas. This is basically his redshirt year where he is coached up in practice to learn the offense and how to better handle the skills I mentioned.

Pete has basically said all of the above. Either believe Pete's explanation (Which makes compete sense) or don't.
It is not as simple as who runs a simple power player in garbage time between Turbin and Michael.

If Michael is inactive, accept it. It doesn't need to be some convoluted conspiracy.

I say this with friendly fellow-fan spirit, but on a fan message board, the thread speculating about the highest draft pick not seeing the field is not out of place. The poster who is tired of such speculation (a legitimate feeling obviously), but who enters the thread for the sole reason of commenting that it isn't threadworthy, might be a bit out of place.

Pete's explanation makes complete sense, huh? RB is the one position where baby-faced rookies come in all the time and instantly have an impact. So the red-shirt thing is a little off-key. Especially because in terms of reading zone blocking, Michael has been effective when he has carried, so if Michael needs to sit until he learns to read zone blocking, Turbin needs to sit more.

Pass-pro, as has been stated in this thread, remains plausible. Again though, in garbage time, with a fully healthy OL, the pass-pro explanation is less satisfying.

So there's some meat on the bone here for discussion. It's not a huge factor in our great season obviously, but we talk about far smaller things than this on a routine basis.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
hawk45":1ls6o1og said:
Basis4day":1ls6o1og said:
scakfan":1ls6o1og said:

I say this with friendly fellow-fan spirit, but on a fan message board, the thread speculating about the highest draft pick not seeing the field is not out of place. The poster who is tired of such speculation (a legitimate feeling obviously), but who enters the thread for the sole reason of commenting that it isn't threadworthy, might be a bit out of place.

Pete's explanation makes complete sense, huh? RB is the one position where baby-faced rookies come in all the time and instantly have an impact. So the red-shirt thing is a little off-key. Especially because in terms of reading zone blocking, Michael has been effective when he has carried, so if Michael needs to sit until he learns to read zone blocking, Turbin needs to sit more.

Pass-pro, as has been stated in this thread, remains plausible. Again though, in garbage time, with a fully healthy OL, the pass-pro explanation is less satisfying.

So there's some meat on the bone here for discussion. It's not a huge factor in our great season obviously, but we talk about far smaller things than this on a routine basis.

It's rarely possible to use him in garbage time since he's usually inactive. The restriction of only getting to have 47 active players is pretty clearly keeping Michael's carries down. I tend to think he'd get at least as many carries as Turbin, if not more, if Lynch were to go down. But hopefully we don't get to find out whether or not I'm right about that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm guessing they are making him get to the point of being a good blocker first. Really, though; who knows?

HawkWow

Reaction score
It seems the 3 most popular posts regarding this question are:

1) "He can't play ST"

2) "He can't pass block"

3) "Can we all PLEASE just stop saying we should see more CM"???

Unsure what kind of fan utters #3 (!?), but assuming either of the top 2 are correct, after all this time with the team, I offer:

4) By definition, CM is a retard (and /or likely, in someone's doghouse)

No easier position to transition from college to pro than RB. Something's not right and I presume it involves fumbleitas and/or attitude. But hey, if it keeps ML on the team, all G with me. Let's just hope these apparent sacrificial top draft spots don't come back to haunt us later.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I seriously think they are saving the "wear and tear" on those tires.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
hawk45":2ue3chdm said:
hawks4thewin":2ue3chdm said:
Here is what I noticed and think
Michael when he has been active has been put in in garbage time and has been explosive.
It is worth noting that right after a great Michael run we see a turbin run and usualy its for no gain.
I think they are seeing what turbin does in the same situation. they have proven out Michael quite a few times in this fashion. My best guess is this.
with coleman back they are going with 2 rbs and 2 fbs. coleman can run tailback also. so that frees up another def spot. This also gets colemen more reps.
Coleman did fine in all his assignments to me.

now this is all with the eye test and rolling right off the sleeve. I would have to watch tape to to confirm but i'm to lazy.

This doesn't make sense to me 4thewin. They have a whole year of tape on Turbin, and have been using him all this year. I can't buy that in the, what, 5 plays Michael has had all season they've made up his mind that Michael is the real deal and so they need to see more of Turbin as sort of an audition for Turbin?

I readily admit it's all guesses at this point so I can't claim mine is any better than yours. But this isn't how they've operated with other players. If they think a guy has it, they play the guy as much as they can.

In fact as we sit here discussing like this it reminds me maybe of...Tate? I felt like we didn't see Tate as much as we expected to given his draft slot. But they had concerns about him with route-running and what not that it took him 1-2 years to dispel fully, and his playing time seemed to scale with how much he had licked those concerns. Now of course he's always out there.

So that makes me wonder if there isn't really some fairly significant (but curable) hole in his game similar to Tate. Maybe it is the pass-blocking rumor that has been circulated. For a running back that's pretty much what it's gotta be, because to my eyes with the ball in his hands he is superior to Turbin.

Ohh yeah I'm by no means set on my thoughts.. I like your idea too. It just feels like they are always wanting to see how turbin does right after micheal. its weird.
your prolly right there may be some hole in his game. he looks good though.\
My theory goes against pete's playing the best man philosophy too

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Seems we could use him on kick returns though. Even if he isn't a great pass blocker he is very explosive and would be a definite upgrade over Turbin in that area.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Keeping three RBs active makes us thinner in the trenches on gameday. Just don't think it's a trade-off Pete is willing to make.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
FargoHawk":1eq77t5e said:
I seriously think they are saving the "wear and tear" on those tires.

I agree with this. Like a young QB, I think we're developing him as a cheep superstar once Lynch is done

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
If Pete actually thought Michael was the better player to have on the field I'm sure he'd have him on the field right now. He wouldn't cut into our championship equity for this year just to make sure he's a bit fresher in future years. Unfortunately, while I agreed that the "wear and tear" thing was a real effect that would allow Shaun Alexander to be effective until later in his career due to his lack of touches early in his career, it didn't seem to be one. Most RBs hit the age of 30 and are almost immediately on the wrong side of the hill, and that's if they make it that far before declining.

scakfan

Reaction score
Most all ideas posted are likely somewhat correct. Quite frankly, he is not needed! I am sure he will be out there more (maybe much more) when 1st seed is locked up. In the meantime I'll keep enjoying the heck out of Lynch.

OrFan

Reaction score
Weed comments on RRR.

Seriously, my guess is a combo of a young back not used to blocking, on a team that really doesn't have to have him available right now, and saving him for next year to start getting his touches.

It is so nice having a sports car like that in the garage, while still being the envy of everyone else with what we have on the field.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with many here that it could be his lack of skills/knowledge in the blocking/scheme department at the moment but what in the world is the harm to let him come in late in the fourth quarter of a game that is clearly out of hand?

THAT is the question that I have yet to hear an answer for thus far that I would love to hear.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
scakfan":3urzda58 said:

It's this. There's no reason to put him in if his explosiveness is outweighed by how much of a liability he is in blocking. Putting him in is essentially telegraphing to the opponent that we're giving him the ball, because he's sure not going to do anything in pass pro.

And frankly, this is okay. It's not a big deal that he's not getting touches as long as he's learning right now. He might be upset that he's not getting playing time, but a motivator like Carroll and the competitive atmosphere on this team should help him channel that frustration into harder work on his flaws.

Latest posts