Why has no one mentioned this? (Percy Harvin)

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2afmhza6 said:
Haven't you guys heard that Harvin fakes everything just to get out of practice?

He probably never even had surgery or any injury to begin with.

(sarcasm)

This.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2evo37ol said:
Haven't you guys heard that Harvin fakes everything just to get out of practice?

He probably never even had surgery or any injury to begin with.

(sarcasm)
I assume they may activate him as soon as weeks 6-9 and maybe play as soon as weeks 8-10 but likely week 12 just to give him the extra week because of the bye to be safe.

More than enough games to make a serious impact going into the playoffs.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Don't take him walking without a limp as something significant. Ligament injuries are usually about certain “types” of motion. For example I tore my rotator cuff in my shoulder. I can do just about everything with the arm until I try to throw something overhand (or overhand serve in Tennis). Just once and my whole arm goes numb. It most likely affects him when he cuts. Kind of like RGIII in his game, he just tweaked in laterally and that was it for him.

Percy deserves the benefit of the doubt for now. I would rather have him healthy over the next 5 years.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Shock2k":hlsxnqsw said:
Don't take him walking without a limp as something significant. Ligament injuries are usually about certain “types” of motion. For example I tore my rotator cuff in my shoulder. I can do just about everything with the arm until I try to throw something overhand (or overhand serve in Tennis). Just once and my whole arm goes numb. It most likely affects him when he cuts. Kind of like RGIII in his game, he just tweaked in laterally and that was it for him.

Percy deserves the benefit of the doubt for now. I would rather have him healthy over the next 5 years.

since when is the labrum a ligament?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I agree given I had hip surgery far more serious than his and have cerebral palsy. Took me a year to recover fully.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":aq9gdckt said:
Shock2k":aq9gdckt said:

I thought ligaments connect the bones and tendons the muscles? So it should be a ligament injury?

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
I thought he was going to be in NY for a bit longer, good to hear he is here and with the team (and with no limp to boot!)!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3kg2q0lb said:
Shock2k":3kg2q0lb said:

It's not. It's a ring of cartilage surrounding the socket in the hip and the shoulder (acetabular vs. glenoid). But people love to toss anecdotal evidence out for why a player should return quicker/slower from various injuries.

I get why people like to provide anecdotal evidence, but I almost never consider it useful in any way. These are top-level professional athletes with access to the absolute best surgery and rehab resources that money can buy. That's a massive difference from the standard "person on a messageboard." Likewise, the stresses these athletes experience are also on a different level from what Joe Fanboy experiences for the most part. So the anecdotal evidence is worth exactly jack since the situations are so vastly different.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
PT perspective: The fact that Harvin is full weight bearing this soon after surgery is definetly significant in that it gives us insight into the kind of surgery that he had.

Had he undergone a labral REPAIR (where the labral tear is sutured back together or in some cases the labrum is reattached to the bone) he would be non-weight bearing for a minimum of three weeks, and possibly up to six weeks depending on the size and location of the damage. However, he is already weight bearing which means he must have had a labral DEBRIDEMENT (the torn or frayed part of the labrum is shaved down but no suturing is required).

This means we can expect his rehab time to be on the lower spectrum of what has been mentioned before, because the healing process from a repair takes much longer. Now that we know he's already walking, I would expect that the earliest we realistically see him on the field is the Thursday Night game against Arizona (week 7) and fully expect him to be back on the field by the time we face the Falcons (week 11).

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2d2h4b2m said:
PT perspective: The fact that Harvin is full weight bearing this soon after surgery is definetly significant in that it gives us insight into the kind of surgery that he had.

Had he undergone a labral REPAIR (where the labral tear is sutured back together or in some cases the labrum is reattached to the bone) he would be non-weight bearing for a minimum of three weeks, and possibly up to six weeks depending on the size and location of the damage. However, he is already weight bearing which means he must have had a labral DEBRIDEMENT (the torn or frayed part of the labrum is shaved down but no suturing is required).

This means we can expect his rehab time to be on the lower spectrum of what has been mentioned before, because the healing process from a repair takes much longer. Now that we know he's already walking, I would expect that the earliest we realistically see him on the field is the Thursday Night game against Arizona (week 7) and fully expect him to be back on the field by the time we face the Falcons (week 11).

To me....it means that the damage was minimal and probably didn't need surgery to heal in the first place.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1tc6ygrs said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1tc6ygrs said:

To me....it means that the damage was minimal and probably didn't need surgery to heal in the first place.

What Med school did you go to?

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3c2gcy66 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3c2gcy66 said:

This is simply not true. With all the risks involved (poor surgical outcome, infection, etc.) there is no way an athlete would possibly go under the knife unless they absolutely needed it. The labrum is connective tissue, not bone or muscle. If you tear a labrum, or a ligament, the only way to fix it is surgically. It will not heal on its own.

Wartooth

Reaction score
For what it's worth.
I'm just glad he is back in Seattle walking around, and with the team.
He didn't take off to parts unknown to rehab, like some people thought he would.
I think Percy will earn his money when he is healthy.
I sure hope he makes it back for the late season push to the playoffs.
And that those playoffs go through Seattle.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":12twe5qu said:
Bigpumpkin":12twe5qu said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":12twe5qu said:

This is simply not true. With all the risks involved (poor surgical outcome, infection, etc.) there is no way an athlete would possibly go under the knife unless they absolutely needed it. The labrum is connective tissue, not bone or muscle. If you tear a labrum, or a ligament, the only way to fix it is surgically. It will not heal on its own.

Sounds like you didn't get the memo, IBBAG. Harvin CLEARLY tore his own labrum out of a desire to skip practice and is now looking for a way to screw the Hawks over for giving him that nice big contract. Of course, he tore it in a way that would generate the most drama and underwent surgery just to keep up appearances (plus, he gets to kick back and chow down on pain meds and watch daytime soaps).

I realize you style yourself as a medical professional and all, but .NET has had this figured out for a while now. Where were you?