Why I can't wait to see Harvin debut as a Seahawk

kearly

Reaction score
Last weekend I watched my Washington Huskies as they (quite unexpectedly) dismantled the 19th ranked Boise State Broncos 38-6. Had you asked me before the game, I would have said UW had one surefire NFL player on their roster, and he was suspended for that game. Now, I think I'd add a second player to that list.

Sure, UW's explosion on offense was due to a lot of factors. But I think the biggest one was how they took their worst receiver from the previous season (Jaydon Mickens) and turned him into Percy Harvin jr. with a steady dose of bubble screens. Mickens is, at least athletically, pretty comparable to Harvin, both have similar running styles too. Harvin averaged 8 yards after the catch last season, Mickens averaged about 9 or 10 yards after the catch in this game. UW, especially with their new Chip Kelly / Rich Rod type offense, really values running the football (they ran the football on 64% of their plays), and like the Seahawks they have a very impressive stable of RBs.

Anyway, Mickens looked unstoppable in this game. It was basically like having a 2nd RB on the field. Either they hand off like normal (with a read option play) or they threw a quick hit to Mickens and he exploded ahead for 8-12 easy yards. Watching that, I was reminded of the AP-Harvin combo last year. Before playing Seattle and getting hurt, Harvin was on pace for 120 catches, and a solid majority of those were caught around the line of scrimmage.

Now, AP's numbers actually went up after Harvin went down, and in the UW game the Huskies rushed for less per attempt than they usually do. So I'm not necessarily saying that having an elite bubble screen weapon will improve our running game. What I do think is that having a great running game makes the bubble screen that much more effective. I'm not saying Harvin will get 8 catches a game for us like he did in Minnesota last year, but when he's 100% I expect him to be leading the team in receptions. The combination of an elite running game and an elite LOS receiver means we'll get a lot of cheap yardage that will drive our opponents crazy. It's also going to get us a LOT of first downs and manageable 2nd/3rd downs.

UW finished with almost 600 yards of offense. Their bubble screen guy only had about 110 of those (on 10 catches). But even though he was only 1/6 of their yardage, he was clearly the one thing they did not have before, the one big catalyst that fueled one long drive after another. Seeing how his impact outweighed his (still very good) numbers, it made me realize exactly why Pete was willing to pay so much to get Harvin.

When Seattle switched to a read option wrinkle late last season, our offense got a big shot in the arm. It wasn't the same offense anymore, and it was a lot harder to stop. I expect a similar transformation when Harvin joins us later this season. We are going to be the kings of short yardage offense, even moreso considering our arsenal of deep threats and a QB who throws a sexy deep ball. Defenses are going to sweat blood thinking about which areas to defend and which to leave exposed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We're going to get Harvin back in time to go on a big tear heading into the postseason. We may even wind up with another double 50-burger. With cheese.

Can't wait to see him line up for us, either.

Seafan

Reaction score
Jon Gruden lamented during one of the Hawk games how he wish Wilson had one receiver who could stretch the defense. When the Hawks pursued Harvin I knew that Pete and John weren't satisfied with just a good passing game. Until he comes back I'm hoping someone else can do that as a sort of poor man's Harvin. One of these receivers needs to step up and make defenses really respect the Hawks offense enough that it takes some of the pressure off.

rideaducati

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3py65clw said:
We're going to get Harvin back in time to go on a big tear heading into the postseason. We may even wind up with another double 50-burger. With cheese.

Can't wait to see him line up for us, either.

The Seahawks will be on a tear starting Sunday, Harvin will just add another dimension to frustrate the bejeesus out of defensive coordinators.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
C'mon!!!

Imagine, even as a viewer-much less a defender: having to divert your attention from Lynch and Wilson cuz Harvin is on the field.

You're SOL.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The funny thing is, I think the Harvin injury might actually help us out.

We're going to start out with our offense from last year. They've talked about adding some wrinkles, and I think we might see a little bit of that with Golden Tate, but he doesn't have the elite acceleration that Harvin does, so it will be effective, but not as effective with Harvin. The coaches also might not want to show our hand too early. Our offense as it ended up was nothing to really laugh at, and we've gotten deeper at WR and Miller and Wilson improved their chemistry at the end of the year.

When Harvin comes back, they can throw those wrinkles in. I'm betting at times it will be a totally different offense. The really awesome part is that this will probably catch the 49ers with their pants down a little bit in that second game as there won't be a lot of tape on Harvin in a Seahawks uniform. Incidentally, Harvin had a pretty good game again the Niners last year with the Vikings.

It's going to be fascinating to see if/how our offense metamorphosis after Harvin comes backi and what it does to opponents' game planning and adding wrinkles to the offense that no one has been able to scout, all during the heat of a playoff stretch run.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
One thing I really like about Green Bay's offense. They have Randall Cobb to go with Jordy Nelson. Cobb is basically their Percy Harvin, he forces defenses to play tighter, and just when they do, Rodgers nails them with deep bombs to Nelson. We may not have a deep threat quite as good as Nelson, but we have a 3 guys that aren't that far behind (Rice, Tate, Williams). Really, all 6 of our WRs are guys you have to watch deep. And our version of Harvin is the real McCoy.

Our offense is going to be so much fun the next few years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Agreed. All Wilson needs is his Welker and this team jumps to National prominence for years to come. Understand that Wilson to Harvin will be the baseline until both are 30? Totally insane.

This trade is on the level of Unitas and Ray Berry. Both young, both seriously driven. Or Peyton and Harrison.

tooshort

Reaction score
Every time I see Harvins tape or a motion and bubble screen heavy offense with an similarly elite athlete I flash back to the articles posted here(and on fieldgulls) regarding "constraint plays"

Percy Harvin is THE elite "constraint play(er)" in this league and with our ground game, the play action off of it,the ZRO and our deep threats added into the already difficult equation???

Good luck!

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Kearly, Mickens athleticism is pretty good, but I think the real big difference was the way the WR blocked. They where manhandling the CB and safeties. I think that was the real reason for so much success on the bubble screens.

TCS

Reaction score
Man, I was up late as my daughter had a sleepover but my eyes still popped open at 7 this morning in anticipation of tomorrow. Coffee, then .net for breakfast. Lol

Kearly, I was thinking the same thing about the huskies offense. I've never been a huge fan of the bubble screen, but I started thinking about how using Tate in this capacity might benefit our offense. I didn't even think about Harvin in this role. What a great weapon to have come in the latter half of the season.

As an aside, I was more impressed with the dawgs defense in that game. What a difference a year makes. Its been painful to watch the dawgs D for the last decade. For the last 3 years tackling has been an afterthought. Not so last Saturday. They were playing fast and strong. Hope they can keep it up.

Go hawks!

Tcs

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The Hawks ran bubble screens last year. I don't remember any going for any significant yardage.

Seams it was 2 - 4 yards each time. I thought it was one of less successful plays.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
TCS":20p934fw said:
Man, I was up late as my daughter had a sleepover but my eyes still popped open at 7 this morning in anticipation of tomorrow. Coffee, then .net for breakfast. Lol

Kearly, I was thinking the same thing about the huskies offense. I've never been a huge fan of the bubble screen, but I started thinking about how using Tate in this capacity might benefit our offense. I didn't even think about Harvin in this role. What a great weapon to have come in the latter half of the season.

As an aside, I was more impressed with the dawgs defense in that game. What a difference a year makes. Its been painful to watch the dawgs D for the last decade. For the last 3 years tackling has been an afterthought. Not so last Saturday. They were playing fast and strong. Hope they can keep it up.

Go hawks!

Tcs

Me too

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think are WR's struggled in getting seperation last year. Neither Tate or Rice are guys who get seperation quickly. I can see Baldwin and Kearse working our better for us this year are saftey valves for RW. Stephen Williams should allow us to stretch the fied some as well. I don't expect to see him in too much but he should get at least one deep throw opportunity per game to keep the defense honest.

TCS

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2heuall3 said:
The Hawks ran bubble screens last year. I don't remember any going for any significant yardage.

Seams it was 2 - 4 yards each time. I thought it was one of less successful plays.

I remember the same thing. The no huddle offense is definitely the catalyst for more successful bubble screens. Harder to substitute, read offensive sets, etc. However, with the right personnel they can be successful without running the no huddle. The trick will be in hiding intent.

Go hawks!

Tcs

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I like Mickens, but just wait until John Ross gets more involved. Ross has better size than Mickens and has just as much speed/agility. UW could be scary as he'll on Offense by midseason.

Agree with all your points Kearly. I can see the Hawks eventually fielding 2 Harvin types on the roster (role wise, not ability) down the road. Power run game with explosive vertical and horizontal passing game is simply unfair.

TCS

Reaction score
Wenhawk":zbrmbuue said:
I think are WR's struggled in getting seperation last year. Neither Tate or Rice are guys who get seperation quickly. I can see Baldwin and Kearse working our better for us this year are saftey valves for RW. Stephen Williams should allow us to stretch the fied some as well. I don't expect to see him in too much but he should get at least one deep throw opportunity per game to keep the defense honest.

Good point about separation. Williams, lined up opposite of the bubble screen, will give something else for defenses to think about, as long as he can prove that the pre season wasn't a fluke (which I do not think it was). Our receiving core now has enough diversified skill sets to compliment one another, allowing for successful separation where there seemed to be a lack last year. Add Harvin to the mix down the road, after our wr core proves their legitimacy to the league in the first half of the season, and defenses will be running scared.

Go hawks!

Tcs

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1y49uwdo said:

But almost all of their bubble screens came in the first half of the year. It seems like they stopped calling that play when they actually opened up the offense with the read option.

Same with the WR pass. They used it a few times with Rice and Tate in the first half of the year, and then it disappeared in the 2nd half.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1zt49ojn said:

I would have guessed 3-5, but you are right, it wasn't a massive success for us.

I think Tate's YAC ability shows best when he's starting at full speed on a catch downfield. His stop/start is not that great IMO. Harvin can go 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye. I think he's going to be a huge upgrade to our bubble screen wrinkle.