Why is it so easy to complete short passes against us?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":16watafk said:
gowazzu02":16watafk said:
How can a defense that finishes 1st in scoring defense for the 4th year in a row only be described as very good and situationally sucking?

Because some "fans" are irrational "morons" sometimes.

The NFL is designed for the offense to win. Our defense had its struggles last year, but thats because thats what happens in the nfl. Nobody shuts teams out consistantly.

Bet you anything you want that the "fans" that say our D sucked last year just started watching football in 2013. No perspective.

Situationally struggling does not = sucking. When you lose 5? games last year with 4th quarter leads, I think situational analysis is perfectly valid.

..Or you could call people irrational and morons and claim with great hyperbole that the claim is "sucked entirely" and that they must be less football educated newbs.

1st in scoring defense could mean that less competent teams got dismantled and completely shut down, while the smaller sample size competent offenses could have had more success against us, enough so that we took some pretty tough close losses last year. Well how bout that, that's exactly what transpired.

One might even argue that the less knowledgeable fan is the one using our "ranking" from one single stat to form an opinion that only morons, and irrational ones at that, would question.

:141847_bnono:

My point remains, every single rule in the league is created to help the offense. We had our issues last year stemming from Kams holdout among other things.. Specifically early in the year when the offense was really struggling due to offensive line problems. And as many of those issues that we had, we still ended the year in the playoffs and leading the league in scoring. I used the one stat. Because it's the most important stat there is besides W/L.....

There isn't a defense in the league that doesn't "have teams have success against them" . Im just saying some people need some perspective. Was last years D as good as the superbowl winning one? No, but not many ever were or will be.

mrt144

Reaction score
gowazzu02":x8f0wlf9 said:
Sgt Largent":x8f0wlf9 said:
gowazzu02":x8f0wlf9 said:
How can a defense that finishes 1st in scoring defense for the 4th year in a row only be described as very good and situationally sucking?

Because some "fans" are irrational "morons" sometimes.

The NFL is designed for the offense to win. Our defense had its struggles last year, but thats because thats what happens in the nfl. Nobody shuts teams out consistantly.

Bet you anything you want that the "fans" that say our D sucked last year just started watching football in 2013. No perspective.

Situationally struggling does not = sucking. When you lose 5? games last year with 4th quarter leads, I think situational analysis is perfectly valid.

..Or you could call people irrational and morons and claim with great hyperbole that the claim is "sucked entirely" and that they must be less football educated newbs.

1st in scoring defense could mean that less competent teams got dismantled and completely shut down, while the smaller sample size competent offenses could have had more success against us, enough so that we took some pretty tough close losses last year. Well how bout that, that's exactly what transpired.

One might even argue that the less knowledgeable fan is the one using our "ranking" from one single stat to form an opinion that only morons, and irrational ones at that, would question.

:141847_bnono:

My point remains, every single rule in the league is created to help the offense. We had our issues last year stemming from Kams holdout among other things.. Specifically early in the year when the offense was really struggling due to offensive line problems. And as many of those issues that we had, we still ended the year in the playoffs and leading the league in scoring. I used the one stat. Because it's the most important stat there is besides W/L.....

There isn't a defense in the league that doesn't "have teams have success against them" . Im just saying some people need some perspective. Was last years D as good as the superbowl winning one? No, but not many ever were or will be.

As much as it pains me to have that season be a memory, yeah, the 2013 D might have been the high water mark and what we want to shoot for every year. Denver's D last year was pretty damn good and likely their franchise high water mark. Does a defense need to be as good as that to win a Superbowl? Does our's especially?

Who am I kidding, I want to win every game 48-0 (Cause I like seeing Hausch Money do his thang), make it so Pete.

NINEster

Reaction score
mrt144":s14mjnrm said:
Aros":s14mjnrm said:
I was listening to Dave Wyman on the post game show talk about how this is the same defense he ran in his time under Tom Catlain...Basically said you will see those 5 yard gains, quick slants, marginal gains aka "Dink and Dunk" but they will punish you for it and basically keep out the big plays and high scoring.

This is a good point.

Dink and dunk is very hard to pull off for entire drives, drive after drive.

Brady is the only QB to throw 50+ on the Seahawks. The Super Bowl game plan was simple but very hard to pull off and still almost lost them the game.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
NINEster":r96fstem said:
mrt144":r96fstem said:
Aros":r96fstem said:
I was listening to Dave Wyman on the post game show talk about how this is the same defense he ran in his time under Tom Catlain...Basically said you will see those 5 yard gains, quick slants, marginal gains aka "Dink and Dunk" but they will punish you for it and basically keep out the big plays and high scoring.

This is a good point.

Brady is the only QB to throw 50+ on the Seahawks. The Super Bowl game plan was simple but very hard to pull off and still almost lost them the game.

And would have lost them the game if Avril hadn't gotten hurt, which allowed New England to double-team Bennett and give Brady all the time he needed in the fourth quarter.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know it was a big problem in the past, but pc was being stubborn and not changing the d to stop it. Before training camp, they said how they were installing new wrinkles in the d to help combat the short pass/tight end problem. I think they just don't want to tip their hand before the regular season. We haven't even seen browner in his new role. He has played safety, but not with kam and earl on the field with him. If browner doesn't make the team, there will be other guys to fill the same role.

Even if the problem still kind of persists, the d is set up to bend and not break. Once they jam up in the endzone, things change. Hence the best scoring defense over the past 4 seasons. I was impressed with the d. They gave up that first drive, but seemed to really knock the dust off. They hopefully are making their usual mid season turn around, in the pre season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NINEster":3avtilza said:
mrt144":3avtilza said:
Aros":3avtilza said:

This is a good point.

Or beyond Avril being gone Lane being gone allowing Edelman free reign. If the Seahawks didn't have those two freak injuries they still smash New England despite the fact Earl and Sherman were walking wounded playing with one arm each.

justafan

Reaction score
The difference between 10 - 6 and 13-3 can come down to getting extra first down a game or making 1 stop when it matters.
Last year we lost those game where 1 first down burns up the clock and in 2013 we made the 1 or 2 extra plays a game to win.We still saw games where TB almost ran them out of the stadium before making a killer comeback.Shermans miracle interception for a td to win against the Texans.

I dont see a huge difference in the two coaching styles but Quinns team was stacked.The 3rd OLB was the SB MVP and our 3rd and 4th CBs were better than a lot of teams starters.

With the 2013 Oline we probably pick up a 1st down or 2 that could have possibly kept 3 come from behind losses from happening.

Even with talent you need a lot of things to fall into place to go all the way.

Keeping everything in front of you is a sound strategy that makes the other team make plays all the way down the field to score TDs, and usually they cant to that.I can live with the dinks and dunks.With all the emphasis on changing the way D plays the game just makes it tougher to stop,even since the SB year.

Latest posts