Why is Russ regressing?

Rob12

Reaction score
Maybe Russ has struggled this season because he's essentially been playing on one leg. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
OpHawk":20jcysza said:
I guess my point is the accumulating effects of a continually regressing Oline.

You don't really have any idea what's going on in Russell's head.

I have no words for how sick to death I am of the "oh it's the O-line, it can't possibly be just Wilson playing poorly" camp. It's as if a QB is incapable of being bad himself. Every mistake must be on psychological damage from the OL, no matter how strained or blind-trust the reasoning is.

I wonder sometimes if people resort to this line of thinking because they know that the OL is replaceable and Wilson isn't. If an O-lineman can be replaced, shoot, that's easy, do it. But if a QB is having issues, well, crap, now we're back to years of looking for his replacement, hoping each draft, getting our hearts broken as the good QBs go early, trying some late-round project, building up hope, getting dashed when he sucks, rinse and repeat next year...

No. Wilson is fine. He just played badly last night. He played great against the Eagles, Patriots, Panthers, etc. The OL was protecting him all right as well, in every game but the Bucs game, and our starting center was out then.

acctingman

Reaction score
northseahawk":7zdbrhk1 said:
Bringing a Celebrity wife into his life along with all her baggage. Just wait till the baby is born. He is going to fall down fast. No time to sleep because of other reasons other than football!

This

Ever since he got married his game has hit the shitter. It's only going to get worse. Getting laid is nice, but it messes with your brain :stirthepot:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RW just recently completely outplayed Brady, in NE!

He had a tough game but until there's an established long-term trend then he has not regressed.

McGruff

Reaction score
Several posts deleted stemming from a post bringing up religion, which is not allowed.

Also, please consider keeping rampant speculation about players private lives to a minimum unless there is a legitimate source backing you up.

Mojambo

Reaction score
He's in a slump. It happens to EVERY one. Even Russell.

Too bad this fan base is too spoiled and immature to handle it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This fan base would rather tear him a new one after a bad game than give him love on one of his many great games. It has been that way his entire career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":22unt7p8 said:
This fan base would rather tear him a new one after a bad game than give him love on one of his many great games. It has been that way his entire career.

Bingo...............and more importantly how Russ has played his entire career.

For every out of his mind performance with 3-4 TD's, 300 yard and making defenders look stupid, there's a clunker.

Russell is not a methodical Manning or Brady type that just dinks and dunks teams into submission. He's a momentum and confidence QB that NEEDS to feel that confidence to have great games.

If not, you can literally seen the confidence in making his reads and throws seep out of him. Hesitation sets in, that's when he has terrible games.

Regressing? Nope, same player he's always been. He just doesn't have the defense and Lynch to bail him out now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Russ had a bad game.

He missed two wide open TD's. He threw the ball slightly behind Graham, Graham fell, and it's a INT. He also keeps trying to force the ball to Kearse when he's not open for some inexplicable reason. That's accounted for 4 INT's in the last 3 games against GB. That's enough to lose most games right there.

Russ had plenty of time most of the game. It's not really on the OL here.

Look at Wilson's career stats against Dom Capers' defenses in GB. He's terrible. They know how to scheme against him or something. 8 TD's against 10 INT's in 5 games. It's OL every time ? Really ?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sbhv7qb said:
Regressing? Nope, same player he's always been. He just doesn't have the defense and Lynch to bail him out now.

Disagree.

Regressing may be a bit of hyperbole.. but he has not been a very good QB the last few weeks. Even the Panther game he missed some plays we are not used to seeing him miss. His INT numbers are way up and we are seeing him miss open receivers for big plays. I don't think we've seen that type of play from Wilson in the past.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1hs2e7fx said:
Sgt. Largent":1hs2e7fx said:

Disagree.

Regressing may be a bit of hyperbole.. but he has not been a very good QB the last few weeks. Even the Panther game he missed some plays we are not used to seeing him miss. His INT numbers are way up and we are seeing him miss open receivers for big plays. I don't think we've seen that type of play from Wilson in the past.

I see the same QB, I don't believe a player like Russell all of a sudden forgets how to prepare and practice.

So if you're right, then his injuries are worse than he and the team are letting on, and it's affecting his game.

What I see is a QB that's having a hard time shouldering the burden of needing to score more now that the defense isn't the same stout punishing defense, not having Lynch and not being fully able to escape pressure and make plays with his feet.

This all spells what we're seeing. Again, regressing? That doesn't happen to elite caliber QB's 5 years into their career without there being some physical issues.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vi60lf0 said:
Uncle Si":3vi60lf0 said:
Sgt. Largent":3vi60lf0 said:

Disagree.

I see the same QB, I don't believe a player like Russell all of a sudden forgets how to prepare and practice.

So if you're right, then his injuries are worse than he and the team are letting on, and it's affecting his game.

What I see is a QB that's having a hard time shouldering the burden of needing to score more now that the defense isn't the same stout punishing defense, not having Lynch and not being fully able to escape pressure and make plays with his feet.

This all spells what we're seeing. Again, regressing? That doesn't happen to elite caliber QB's 5 years into their career without there being some physical issues.

Why does it have to be preparation? Why could it not be a bad reaction / shell shock to getting beat up this season? That would only show up game time like this appears to be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3eg6en2z said:
Why does it have to be preparation? Why could it not be a bad reaction / shell shock to getting beat up this season? That would only show up game time like this appears to be.

Because that's why you prepare and practice, so you're not shellsocked and ill prepared for what teams are throwing at you.

Maybe we're all just parsing the same word, I just don't want to call it regressing because this is how Russell's played his entire career. Great games, and some stinkers.

Yesterday was a stinker. Apply whatever excuses or reasons you want as to why, but I'm not going there with the word regressing........because that means he's worse than he's always been. I don't see it, other than being physically limited with his injuries and having a worse than usual O-line that can't pass pro to save their lives.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Regressing means what it says. His level of play is declining. I don't think you look at his numbers this year and argue. If you want to attribute it to external factors than so be it.

However, his stat line is certainly on the down this season. He is missing throws we saw him make all last year and even as recently as the Patriots game. You say injuries have depleted him. He sure looks much healthier than earlier in the year. That INT to end the half against Green Bay was nothing to do with injury. Just a bad read.

So what is it? What is the factor from the Monday nighter in Foxboro and the last few weeks?

nash72

Reaction score
austinslater25":14576r0m said:
This line is not better than last year lol

Yeah, I was wondering where that was coming from too.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
acctingman":1wh7e0o9 said:
northseahawk":1wh7e0o9 said:
Bringing a Celebrity wife into his life along with all her baggage. Just wait till the baby is born. He is going to fall down fast. No time to sleep because of other reasons other than football!

This

Ever since he got married his game has hit the shitter. It's only going to get worse. Getting laid is nice, but it messes with your brain :stirthepot:

He was married while he won the Superbowl. I don't understand why folks think a players girlfriend/wife effects their play. What he does in his own time is his own thing. They seem to be a happy couple, we should be happy for them, not pointing the finger at her

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ter309n said:
So what is it? What is the factor from the Monday nighter in Foxboro and the last few weeks?

Since Foxboro he's had two good games with almost 100 passer rating, and two bad games. Are we discounting his good games?

He's at 88 passer rating, which is lower than his typical around 100 for his career. That's not a huge drop, and with all the factors I've mentioned outside of his control like;

- injuries
- terrible O-line at pass blocking
- defense that allowed him to play safe and not take chances
- Lynch shouldering a LOT of the load

These things are all inter-related.

Like I said, a QB that prepares and practices like Russell doesn't just all of a sudden hit a wall or regress. It's all of these other factors playing into his inconsistent performances this year. But again, he's had bad games to terrible games EVERY year here.

onepicknick

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2zr6kpva said:
acctingman":2zr6kpva said:
northseahawk":2zr6kpva said:

This

He was married while he won the Superbowl. I don't understand why folks think a players girlfriend/wife effects their play. What he does in his own time is his own thing. They seem to be a happy couple, we should be happy for them, not pointing the finger at her

I don't believe that is correct I think they were married this year and a big congrats to them, but to answer your question when we all deiced to take a step lets not say complicate but to share our lives with someone you have to willing to take up more responsibility. You know you get that call what color should we paint the baby's room Answer: "White" we can't paint it white we need some color you never heard of you know you really don't care anyway as long as she's happy but the input seems to be important to her.

This is called LIFE, but you see in my house I run the things in MY HOUSE the dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, washer dryer LOL.

I give it a year or two he'll be right back to form I don't expect to go to the SB this year but hey were still in the Playoffs that has to count for something heck this team has gave us more then enough I remember wishing for 8-8 records back in the time.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1d56t9sw said:
Regressing means what it says. His level of play is declining. I don't think you look at his numbers this year and argue. If you want to attribute it to external factors than so be it.

However, his stat line is certainly on the down this season. He is missing throws we saw him make all last year and even as recently as the Patriots game. You say injuries have depleted him. He sure looks much healthier than earlier in the year. That INT to end the half against Green Bay was nothing to do with injury. Just a bad read.

Agreed his arc is not upward this season vs previous ones.

Is it the O-Line? Injury? Mental lapses?

Not sure - but we've seen enough to be afforded the right to voice some concern.

Wilson is def. slower on the field and the reason for that, beyond the injuries, is the extra weight he's carrying. Someone said it was 50 pounds over a couple seasons ago. That seems like a lot, but I'd be comfortable saying he's at least a good 20 over what he was an for a guy who's about 5-9, (I'm 6-foot and feel like I'm towering over him) that is going to slow you down noticeably. Perhaps he was trying to bulk up to take the NFL pounding better, but that in turn seems to have him confused over what kind of QB he is going to be - a super quick scrambler, or a pocket passer.

A 5-9 pocket passer is a tough thing to pull off in a league now dominated by giants. And a slower, less confident scrambler don't work well either.

Russ is clearly struggling a bit to get that figured out.