Why is Russ regressing?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2f8mkin9 said:
Wilson is def. slower on the field and the reason for that, beyond the injuries, is the extra weight he's carrying. Someone said it was 50 pounds over a couple seasons ago.

Where are you guys getting this information?

Russell's slower because he's had two injuries that would have knocked most QB's out for 4-6 weeks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He's slumping. It happens in sports. He did it during the Super Bowl year too. He did it in his rookie year. He wasn't playing well to start last season either.

The overreaction today is downright hysterical. Relax guys. Good lord.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lxunn0s said:
semiahmoo":2lxunn0s said:
Wilson is def. slower on the field and the reason for that, beyond the injuries, is the extra weight he's carrying. Someone said it was 50 pounds over a couple seasons ago.

Russell's slower because he's had two injuries that would have knocked most QB's out for 4-6 weeks.

Wilson is clearly heavier. 50 lbs though, no way. I'd say possibly +20.

This started this off season, then injury possibly contributed.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/10612...wilsons-apparent-weight-gain-is-a-good-thing/

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":1r985z2d said:
Sgt. Largent":1r985z2d said:
semiahmoo":1r985z2d said:

Wilson is clearly heavier. 50 lbs though, no way. I'd say possibly +20.

This started this off season, then injury possibly contributed.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/10612...wilsons-apparent-weight-gain-is-a-good-thing/

Exactly, which is what my post indicated. Comments that he's +50 are exaggerated, but +20 are likely spot on. He showed up much bulkier to Training Camp and seems to have actually put on a bit more weight since then. Anyone, even a great athlete like Wilson, adds 20+ pounds to a 5-9 frame is going to slow down as a result. Yes, he's had injuries, but then one should ask if some of those injuries were actually created in part due to his slower movement in the backfield from the extra weight he was carrying?

Due to his height, being a pocket QB is unlikely. NFL lines are just too big/tall.

But with being bulkier, Wilson has lessened his overall speed, which in turn has limited the scrambling make-things-happen skills that so frustrated opponents. Now defenses seem far more capable of containing Wilson, and he's getting his ass ground into the turf because of it, or becoming less accurate passing the ball as he panics his way out of repeatedly collapsing pockets.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has never been a methodical QB. I've never seen him operate an offense like Rodgers was able to last night. He was gaming us all game with hard counts, and taking advantage of clear mismatches on our defense, including subbing. Russell Wilson is a QB that thrives in chaos, it's his ability to create that scares defenses, and ultimately sets up big plays. That is why the read option is so effective for the Seahawks, even though Russ hardly ever keeps the football. This season due to injuries he's had to adjust to being a pocket Quarterback, moreover his tackles have not always been reliable this season. He cannot simply run around to get out of trouble... he has to play like a traditional QB, which is something that doesn't mesh with his style of play. He has to take the Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees approach, and I just don't think he has the finer details of QB play down yet. The difference is he's been able to compensate with mobility and agility. Instead of relying on his mobility as a safety blanket he has to rely on his internal clock, his pocket presence, and footwork in the pocket. Neither of which he has, I can't count how many times he's walked himself into sacks over the years. When pressure comes he automatically starts trying to run like a chicken with his head cutt off. This is only amplified due to a mediocre O-Line.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":26wahqf3 said:
Russell Wilson has never been a methodical QB. I've never seen him operate an offense like Rodgers was able to last night. He was gaming us all game with hard counts, and taking advantage of clear mismatches on our defense, including subbing. Russell Wilson is a QB that thrives in chaos, it's his ability to create that scares defenses, and ultimately sets up big plays. That is why the read option is so effective for the Seahawks, even though Russ hardly ever keeps the football. This season due to injuries he's had to adjust to being a pocket Quarterback, moreover his tackles have not always been reliable this season. He cannot simply run around to get out of trouble... he has to play like a traditional QB, which is something that doesn't mesh with his style of play. He has to take the Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees approach, and I just don't think he has the finer details of QB play down yet. The difference is he's been able to compensate with mobility and agility.
To play that game effectively takes very good, very expensive WR's who can run a wide variety of perfect-timing routes. And, as you suggest, a phenomenal QB for that system.

I like the more 'old-school' style the Hawks still strive for under PC. Smash mouth ball-control running, explosive pass plays mixed in to keep the D out of the box, and with most of the money on the D side of the ball.

With a needed start over on the O Line it has been a challenge getting good at that but we have definitely seen signs of maturation, most recently with success against the Panthers #2 D.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
OLine. Inconsistent run game. lingering issues with his ankle and knee injuries.

Sure.

But, he plays poorly against the Rams and Packers. He was absolutely terrible in the NFC Championship game against the Packers. Solid OLine play. Marshawn was in Beastmode, Defense/LOB showed up, but RW was terrible throwing as many INTs like yesterday's game.

Why? Our Coodinators were out coached. Gregg Williams. Dom Capers. they are very good DCs and they have been with The Rams and Packers for a long time. Reason why we cannot score is because they know our tendencies. it doesn't matter if we played against either team away or at The CLink. We lose. Another reason why Bevell needs to go. Defenders are all over our receivers because they know what we're going to do.

But. RW was not accurate and our players were slipping as if they never played on real grass before. Combine all of this and you get blown out.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2y85dkd4 said:
OLine. Inconsistent run game. lingering issues with his ankle and knee injuries.

Sure.

But, he plays poorly against the Rams and Packers. He was absolutely terrible in the NFC Championship game against the Packers. Solid OLine play. Marshawn was in Beastmode, Defense/LOB showed up, but RW was terrible throwing as many INTs like yesterday's game.

Why? Our Coodinators were out coached. Gregg Williams. Dom Capers. they are very good DCs and they have been with The Rams and Packers for a long time. Reason why we cannot score is because they know our tendencies. it doesn't matter if we played against either team away or at The CLink. We lose. Another reason why Bevell needs to go. Defenders are all over our receivers because they know what we're going to do.

But. RW was not accurate and our players were slipping as if they never played on real grass before. Combine all of this and you get blown out.

All true, but more troubling is it wasn't the only blowout of the season for us.

You make a valid point regarding the "out-coached" suggestion. This might explain why Wilson's performance always seems to improve when we go hurry-up offense - he gets greater opportunity to simply "feel" his way down the field vs following the specifics of our sideline play-calling. He did more of this in previous seasons when he was healthier and not carrying as much weight, but this season, not so much. He's slower/getting caught more, and taking a repeated physical pounding by opposing defenses, which in turn is playing havoc with his confidence.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1bl991o5 said:
Russell Wilson has never been a methodical QB. I've never seen him operate an offense like Rodgers was able to last night. He was gaming us all game with hard counts, and taking advantage of clear mismatches on our defense, including subbing. Russell Wilson is a QB that thrives in chaos, it's his ability to create that scares defenses, and ultimately sets up big plays. That is why the read option is so effective for the Seahawks, even though Russ hardly ever keeps the football. This season due to injuries he's had to adjust to being a pocket Quarterback, moreover his tackles have not always been reliable this season. He cannot simply run around to get out of trouble... he has to play like a traditional QB, which is something that doesn't mesh with his style of play. He has to take the Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees approach, and I just don't think he has the finer details of QB play down yet. The difference is he's been able to compensate with mobility and agility. Instead of relying on his mobility as a safety blanket he has to rely on his internal clock, his pocket presence, and footwork in the pocket. Neither of which he has, I can't count how many times he's walked himself into sacks over the years. When pressure comes he automatically starts trying to run like a chicken with his head cutt off. This is only amplified due to a mediocre O-Line.

Wilson is a very good QB, and at the same time this is a very good post.

Both of those things can be true at once, IMO

Megatron

Reaction score
onepicknick":39a5b5di said:
Jerhawk":39a5b5di said:
acctingman":39a5b5di said:
northseahawk":39a5b5di said:
Bringing a Celebrity wife into his life along with all her baggage. Just wait till the baby is born. He is going to fall down fast. No time to sleep because of other reasons other than football!

This

Ever since he got married his game has hit the shitter. It's only going to get worse. Getting laid is nice, but it messes with your brain :stirthepot:

He was married while he won the Superbowl. I don't understand why folks think a players girlfriend/wife effects their play. What he does in his own time is his own thing. They seem to be a happy couple, we should be happy for them, not pointing the finger at her

I don't believe that is correct I think they were married this year and a big congrats to them, but to answer your question when we all deiced to take a step lets not say complicate but to share our lives with someone you have to willing to take up more responsibility. You know you get that call what color should we paint the baby's room Answer: "White" we can't paint it white we need some color you never heard of you know you really don't care anyway as long as she's happy but the input seems to be important to her.

This is called LIFE, but you see in my house I run the things in MY HOUSE the dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, washer dryer LOL.

I give it a year or two he'll be right back to form I don't expect to go to the SB this year but hey were still in the Playoffs that has to count for something heck this team has gave us more then enough I remember wishing for 8-8 records back in the time.

He was married to his first wife, Ashton, when they won the Super Bowl. They were divorced a few months after that. Ciara is his second wife. If you believe what some people claim as the reason for the divorce, he had worse things to be distraught about than some silly colors for the baby's room, etc.

mikehawks

Reaction score
I don't think Wilson is regressing, he is just being exposed. Marshawn Lynch and the defense can't bail him out on the road any more. Lynch retired and the defense has been worn out all year, thanks to a stagnant offense. Wilson is not great QB like many believe, he is a good QB that got overpaid. Russel Wilson's new contract, and the Jimmy Graham trade were major errors by Coach and company. Just think if 25 million was spent on the O-line and RB, how good the team would of been? Of course you would of had to scratch Wilson and Graham off the team, but you would have a far more balanced and productive offense.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
mikehawks":3niekq1v said:
I don't think Wilson is regressing, he is just being exposed. Marshawn Lynch and the defense can't bail him out on the road any more. Lynch retired and the defense has been worn out all year, thanks to a stagnant offense. Wilson is not great QB like many believe, he is a good QB that got overpaid. Russel Wilson's new contract, and the Jimmy Graham trade were major errors by Coach and company. Just think if 25 million was spent on the O-line and RB, how good the team would of been? Of course you would of had to scratch Wilson and Graham off the team, but you would have a far more balanced and productive offense.

Lmao... And who is playing qb?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
mikehawks":l5nmgc6p said:

Agree with some of what you're saying here. PC teams have always been runcentric. Without that run, RW's limitations have been more fully exposed - and they are many.

The Graham trade was not necessarily a bad one IF the Hawks had a more pocket-focused passer, which of course requires a more competent O-Line and a legit run threat.

Jimmy is a remarkable athlete who, under the right offense, would dominate games.

The optimistic outlook is to say our O-Line will mature/improve, Rawls stays healthy, and Wilson continues to develop more of a pocket game necessary for him to be a longer-term QB in this league.

The more negative outlook would indicate not enough of the above will happen, and this team gets blown up in 2019 and we are in total rebuild mode.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
evergreen":256g2tbe said:
But Russell was off from the beginning. And this line is better than last year. And he's not hurt anymore. Jimmy Graham was so freaking wide open! Not even close.
And "Jimmy Graham was so freaking wide open!" when Russell Wilson threw him a PERFECT pass, he slips when the defender pushes him down and picks off the pass intended for the "Wide Open Jimmy Graham", Two more passes that should have been caught but were instead deflected into the air by our "Wide Open" Receivers and right into the hands of the Packers Defenders........another interception that didn't have to happen, is when Doug Baldwin poised himself to make a TD catch, failed to come back on the ball to help out his mega-pressured Quarterback......FOUR of those interceptions weren't ONLY on Russell Wilson alone, he had some help (or lack thereof) from his O-Line & Receivers to getting them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was just a strange twilight zone game overall. When Baldwin of all people had one bounce off his facemask and go straight in to the defenders hands?
One of those games where nothing seems to go right.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ddkhs2f said:
It was just a strange twilight zone game overall. When Baldwin of all people had one bounce off his facemask and go straight in to the defenders hands?

True dat! Baldwin is a great receiver. That cold must really have been messing w/us.
We looked tired. Cold drains your energy far more than warm temps IMO.
I hated playing the anything below 45 degrees or so.
The GB game was in the 20's?
No thanks.
Then again, for $10 million a season, yeah, I think I could tough it out.

If the Hawks want to call a mid-40's guy with a touch of arthritis from too much belief in youthful invincibility, let's do this!!!!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1s4ipdr7 said:
SoulfishHawk":1s4ipdr7 said:

True dat! Baldwin is a great receiver. That cold must really have been messing w/us.
We looked tired. Cold drains your energy far more than warm temps IMO.
I hated playing the anything below 45 degrees or so.
The GB game was in the 20's?
No thanks.
Then again, for $10 million a season, yeah, I think I could tough it out.

If the Hawks want to call a mid-40's guy with a touch of arthritis from too much belief in youthful invincibility, let's do this!!!!
Uncle Rico?

AVL

Reaction score
Weak fan base. That loss was ugly but probably won't change anything. Maybe we will get to host the packers.

Latest posts