Walker is our salvation

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I think the league is adjusting to Geno. Everybody is talking about Geno. Geno has saved the Seahawks and now is the point of enficisis. But remember the identity of this team just that... team. What we didnt have with Russ we now have a Qb that is not selfish.

From what i can see, the Hawks have asked a lot from the rookie tackles, and they have responded. But they are rookies and they can be taken advantage of by things they have not learned yet, blitzes, stunts D line games. I Think we saw soMe of that from AZ and i would expect that to continue until the Hawks prove they can beat it.

I think walker is this teams salvation. I think its time to get the run game going and make these D lines suffer, remind them that this team is not centered around Geno Smith and that although both those rookie tackles had the reputation of not being run blocker, the Seahawks have great O line coach in Andy Dickerson and that assement is NOT valid. In fact the Hawks have two road graders at tackles and that should be painfully realized by opposing defenses.

I am hoping Waldren and Carroll are on this as the league is zeroing in on Geno.

Thoughts?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The only times in franchise history that the Seahawks have been truly competitive is when we've had a star running back. Curt Warner, Shaun Alexander, Marshawn Lynch.

Is Kenneth Walker the next to carry the torch? I hope so. I thought Thomas Rawls and Chris Carson was going to be that in the past.

Hopefully this young man can take advantage of this opportunity, stay healthy, and run like crazy. His ability to move the chains will help everything. Play action will look better. Teams will need to bring a safety down in the box and leave 1 on 1s outside for DK and Lockett.

And most importantly, keep the time of possession in our favor. Keep our defense on the sideline and play with a lead

Slick

Reaction score
The only times in franchise history that the Seahawks have been truly competitive is when we've had a star running back. Curt Warner, Shaun Alexander, Marshawn Lynch.

Is Kenneth Walker the next to carry the torch? I hope so. I thought Thomas Rawls and Chris Carson was going to be that in the past.

Hopefully this young man can take advantage of this opportunity, stay healthy, and run like crazy. His ability to move the chains will help everything. Play action will look better. Teams will need to bring a safety down in the box and leave 1 on 1s outside for DK and Lockett.

And most importantly, keep the time of possession in our favor. Keep our defense on the sideline and play with a lead
Man - Thomas Rawls....what an ascendance and then just as rapid decline. I think I remember him just being unstoppable for a few games.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
My only real concern with Walker so far is his desire to bounce to the outside too frequently. Sometimes, the play is just dead, and it's ok to take the no gain. I don't want to see him trying to make every run into a home run and lose 5 in those situations.

Again, just a minor concern. He sort of reminds me of early Reggie Bush like that, and teams will key in on that.

Otherwise, so far, he has all the traits you want in a franchise back.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
IMO he absolutly has traights of a franchise back. I just cant wait till he fully Gels with the O line. He is going to get better and better!

hoxrox

Reaction score
My concern with K9 is that he still appears to be dealing with his injury, so I don't know if he can be the bell cow right now. I'd feel more comfortable with some more quality depth behind him.

The key though is they need to be multiple in their attack, whether it's passing or running.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I think the league is adjusting to Geno. Everybody is talking about Geno. Geno has saved the Seahawks and now is the point of enficisis. But remember the identity of this team just that... team. What we didnt have with Russ we now have a Qb that is not selfish.

From what i can see, the Hawks have asked a lot from the rookie tackles, and they have responded. But they are rookies and they can be taken advantage of by things they have not learned yet, blitzes, stunts D line games. I Think we saw soMe of that from AZ and i would expect that to continue until the Hawks prove they can beat it.

I think walker is this teams salvation. I think its time to get the run game going and make these D lines suffer, remind them that this team is not centered around Geno Smith and that although both those rookie tackles had the reputation of not being run blocker, the Seahawks have great O line coach in Andy Dickerson and that assement is NOT valid. In fact the Hawks have two road graders at tackles and that should be painfully realized by opposing defenses.

I am hoping Waldren and Carroll are on this as the league is zeroing in on Geno.

Thoughts?
Excited for Walker but don't agree in the assessment at all for our offense.

First, I don't believe Geno has been 'figured out' based on what happened versus Arizona. Smith actually has a better passer rating against blitzes than traditional pass rushes. What happened against the Cards was an anomaly in that they very much seemed to have our cadence down. (I believe there is some rumor that our backup G had something to do with this?)

Second, even in that game, Walker flourished off of the passing game, not the other way around. All of Walker's best rushes came off drives that opened with multiple passing plays.

Our rookie tackles are doing well but are getting beat on third downs when teams can sell out against the pass, so that is a concern. However, Waldron (and Geno with his audibles) have been smart in using well timed draws in those circumstances. I suspect this will continue to be a facet of our offensive game plan.

Overall, though, I don't think we need 'salvation' and I don't think it's a good idea to sideline the guy who has been to this point our best offensive player. We should continue to play balanced offense but also continue to lead with our QB and use our RBs as our off-speed pitch.

Rat

Reaction score
I think a decade ago KW3 goes in the top half of the first round. He was insane at Michigan State. He's so explosive.

I'm concerned about the potential for injury though. Not because I think Walker is fragile or anything; that just seems to be what happens to Seahawks running backs. Always feels like a matter of time.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

First, I don't believe Geno has been 'figured out' based on what happened versus Arizona. Smith actually has a better passer rating against blitzes than traditional pass rushes. What happened against the Cards was an anomaly in that they very much seemed to have our cadence down. (I believe there is some rumor that our backup G had something to do with this?)

Second, even in that game, Walker flourished off of the passing game, not the other way around. All of Walker's best rushes came off drives that opened with multiple passing plays.

Our rookie tackles are doing well but are getting beat on third downs when teams can sell out against the pass, so that is a concern. However, Waldron (and Geno with his audibles) have been smart in using well timed draws in those circumstances. I suspect this will continue to be a facet of our offensive game plan.

Overall, though, I don't think we need 'salvation' and I don't think it's a good idea to sideline the guy who has been to this point our best offensive player. We should continue to play balanced offense but also continue to lead with our QB and use our RBs as our off-speed pitch.
3 of the 6 sacks were stunts that the O line didnt pick up.. these will need to be addressed or else the league will run games on the hawks O line until the Hawks prove they can stop it. We lost Penny for the year and the fact that they have a back as talented as walker is salvation to the extreme. They would be wise to run the ball and establish walker early and often im not saying give up on Geno at all im just saying establish the run to protect Geno.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Love him, but any servicable running back will suit in the Waldron system. THAT is what the TE misdirection is FOR.

Love love love Walker.

Don't get injured.

But let's be clear. Geno is the shit. Walker is part of the cast. Sorry - love them both -

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

This has very much so been the case all season. Penny's biggest runs in the second half of last season and this season also were set up by the pass. Waldron also dials up certain packages that makes it hard to key in on whether the hawks are running or passing. The fact that our TE's are such a huge part of our passing attack also gives us a lot of flexibility pre-snap depending on what a defense is showing us. Our 2-3 TE packages have been money.

With Walker it's the same deal. It's why I hated seeing us try to plow into the middle of the defense. I think the short, rhythmic passing game that stretches the defense horizontally is a great way to set up explosive run plays. It's the old Holmgren ethos and I hope it continues. It was absent for large portions of this game.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Love him, but any servicable running back will suit in the Waldron system. THAT is what the TE misdirection is FOR.

Love love love Walker.

Don't get injured.

But let's be clear. Geno is the shit. Walker is part of the cast. Sorry - love them both -
If you guys think that the league is NOT going to adjust to Geno then i dont know what to say. I mean thats what D coordinators do they sit in a room an watch film to find a weakness to exploit. Then its up to waldren to counter its a constant chess match .So its not about whether we like geno or not its about finding answers to exposed weakness. And what im saying is the run fame protects tthe passing gamem

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
If you guys think that the league is NOT going to adjust to Geno then i dont know what to say. I mean thats what D coordinators do they sit in a room an watch film to find a weakness to exploit. Then its up to waldren to counter its a constant chess match .So its not about whether we like geno or not its about finding answers to exposed weakness. And what im saying is the run game protects the passing gamem

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Like some other posters, I think the Seahawks should bring in a "bruiser" type running back (Bo Scarbrough anyone?)

Also, using a fullback as a lead blocker would help "K9" get away from being tackled by a d-lineman or linebacker and save some "wear and tear" on his body..."Mini-Beast" can probably run over most defensive backs. The Ravens Fullback, #42, Patrick Ricard, was a real load in last Sunday's game. I am sure that we have someone that could fill that role on the team right now. How about Poona?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This has very much so been the case all season. Penny's biggest runs in the second half of last season and this season also were set up by the pass. Waldron also dials up certain packages that makes it hard to key in on whether the hawks are running or passing. The fact that our TE's are such a huge part of our passing attack also gives us a lot of flexibility pre-snap depending on what a defense is showing us. Our 2-3 TE packages have been money.

With Walker it's the same deal. It's why I hated seeing us try to plow into the middle of the defense. I think the short, rhythmic passing game that stretches the defense horizontally is a great way to set up explosive run plays. It's the old Holmgren ethos and I hope it continues. It was absent for large portions of this game.
It was Walkers first start,he doesn't have the whole system down yet.
As he plays more then the playbook opens up.
What we saw was vanilla dummed down stuff like with Russ.

samwize77

Reaction score
He made a good run against NO, and did well against Cards. I am hopeful, but yet, I'm going to stay in a wait and see mode on how he does before believing he is what he APPEARS to be.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
He's gonna have to keep producing, but I like what I've seen so far.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
If you guys think that the league is NOT going to adjust to Geno then i dont know what to say. I mean thats what D coordinators do they sit in a room an watch film to find a weakness to exploit. Then its up to waldren to counter its a constant chess match .So its not about whether we like geno or not its about finding answers to exposed weakness. And what im saying is the run fame protects tthe passing gamem
EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Previous QB would not adjust. Would not allow adjustments.

This is a collaborative style. There will be adjustments. It's not as simple as 'stacking the box', or throwing cover-4 at it.

Geno's gonna have his ups and downs but he can and will adjust, and so will Waldron. He just wasn't permitted to do it before. 3 spins and a sack, or a moonball. Those were the 2 options presented by RW3 That's what I'm saying.