Why Nkemdiche could be the Seahawk's First Round Pick

Sealake80

Reaction score
I called Wilson too. I said look kid leave that wife of yours and you could marry Ciara. Dig.

kearly

Reaction score
JKent82":2c4c9ka1 said:
Gotchya, Clark caught some flack for his media interview, "victim blaming" sorta stuff, but you're right his actual interviews got good reviews. Which if Nkemdiche is bombing them there may be more to it.

There were some SJW types in the media who had a serious axe to grind against Clark. Personally I don't think anything Clark said in any of his public interviews reflected poorly on his character or merited the label of victim blaming (for that matter, I think Clark was as much of a victim based on the facts and descriptions that came out.)

JKent82":2c4c9ka1 said:
I agree with Alexander above we have no idea how the Seahawks will view him in the end. I just have a feeling the Seahawks will dig into him more than we might expect and to me Nkemdiche seems like less of risk than I previously thought.

I agree. Noboby really knows, we can only speculate. I tend to think he's off Seattle's board. Seattle used to acquire guys with attitude problems all the time. Lendale White, Marshawn Lynch, Percy Harvin. And they tried hard for Brandon Marshall in 2010.

Thing is, the newest of those moves is three years old. The next draft after acquiring Harvin, when the cracks were starting to show and he wasn't long for the team, JS made several comments about how the Seahawks had changed their philosophy to strongly emphasize acquiring high character guys with strong intangibles. Since then, they haven't acquired a single player who had a lousy attitude.

Case in point, Seattle was willing to pay big for Brandon Marshall in 2010. But when they had opportunities to get him on the cheap in 2015, they didn't even seem to try, despite the fact that Marshall is still an outstanding player and a guy that fit Seattle's big need for a big WR at the time.

So while I wouldn't rule out Nkemdiche completely, I do think the Harvin fiasco changed the way that Seattle viewed character risk in a dramatic way. Seattle is fine with red flags, but they no longer seem to be okay with players who have lousy attitudes.

Tical21

Reaction score
I've got to admit, I'm pretty intrigued by the guy. You just don't see 300 lb. people that carry their weight like he does. You don't see DT's that move like he can move. Potentially, he is the absolute garbage cleaner we need at DT. However, does he hustle? Is he a rabid dog? Is he lazy? I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best player in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league within two years.

He was on one of those Gruden QB type shows with Mooch and his personality came off better than I thought it would. Is he a bad egg, or is he just eccentric?

Hawks46

Reaction score
That article reads like a PR puff piece. There's not a lot of substance to it.

My first impression with all the spirituality is that the kid gets distracted easily and football isn't a high priority.

There's guys that just love the game, and there's guy that love what the game does for them (money). Nkemdiche is the latter for sure. You just don't see passion in his play.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
First person I think of is John Moffitt. Loved the guy, but wandering, curious, creative minds are not usually conducive to playing pro sports. If you're about to get drafted into the NFL and football isn't already your religion, the impending uphill climb can kill motivation.

The questions Nkemdiche is asking will not be answered on the football field, nor in the weight room, film room, etc. We'll see though.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Won't be shocked if Nkemdiche drops out of the first two rounds.

A complete and utter nightmare waiting to happen.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
McGruff":z42xj0he said:
Natethegreat":z42xj0he said:
I'd pass on this guy in any round. He sounds like a space cadet much like Moffit did before he fell out of football.

Bennett often has a similar vibe to him, though. So there is good and bad examples.
Good example. Interesting dude.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":31yakid0 said:
First person I think of is John Moffitt. Loved the guy, but wandering, curious, creative minds are not usually conducive to playing pro sports. If you're about to get drafted into the NFL and football isn't already your religion, the impending uphill climb can kill motivation.

The questions Nkemdiche is asking will not be answered on the football field, nor in the weight room, film room, etc. We'll see though.

Michael Bennett has a similar personality. So does Arian Foster. Both highly successfull football players.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks now have enough of a sample size to find common traits between their more successful acquisitions and less successful ones.

And when looking at Russ, Marshawn, Baldwin, Bennett, Wagner, Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor - you've got guys who have an anger and arrogance about them in terms of wanting to be great, almost a manifest destiny that they know they will be great and will be champions. I'd throw Rawls in with that group soon.

Less successful acquisitions such as Carp, Michael and Moffitt seemed to have had an ease to their approach, not much of an anger, just content with drawing a paycheck.

Nkemdiche, as far as I can tell, isn't in that first group. Though his ability to turn it all the way up against Alabama was promising - if he can be as urgent against every NFL team he sees then he'll be really good.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Good call on Bennett. And since he's a pro bowl level player we love his quarks, his willingness to "speak his mind" But if he wasn't producing like that I dont know if we'd all just say, oh thats just Michael being Michael....

The difference, is you know MB has a fire inside of him to be the best and to win. I dont know if this kmendiche sp kid does....

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Bennet is a fun loving goofy guy but he is not at all comparable to Moffit and Nkemdiche who both sound like nut jobs.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The key is that those aloof and "different" dudes like Bennett, Foster, Von Miller and even Josh Norman still bring it like a madman on game days.

McGruff

Reaction score
Natethegreat":366p6n3d said:
Bennet is a fun loving goofy guy but he is not at all comparable to Moffit and Nkemdiche who both sound like nut jobs.

You need to listen more closely. Bennett is a philosopher wrapped in a comic's garb. He's a lot like Moffit. That guy's interests are so wide ranging and his intelligence so categorically deep its crazy. You just miss it because he also talks about sex with his woman.

I actually think Nkemdiche is a lot more like Arian Foster than either Moffit or Bennett. Nkemdiche talks his wackiness very seriously. He actually strikes me as fairly intense about it.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I think the seahawks are the perfect landing spot for this dude. He is a freakish athlete with natural talent. His knock, they don't think he is motivated enough. But we all know, you won't get away with half assing it in the hawks locker room. With all the great leadership on our team, I think he would be inspired and compete his butt off. He may be the most talented player in the draft, they just don't trust him. I say give him a shot.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
It's been reported they have interest in him and they are willing to take chances on these kinds of players with mostly good results . Smokescreen I guess we'll see in about 14 hrs.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm slowing warming up to Nkemdiche being our 1st pick.

Pete covets impact players and Nkemdiche could definitely be one.

drrew

Reaction score
Brock Huard had some thoughts on the Hawks and Nkemdiche and I think he sold me.

One, the Hawks defensive line room has a unique combination of players that could be very successful at motivating him. Mentioned if he was a WR or RB or OL, he wouldn't make this pick, but the defensive line room run by Bennett, Avril, and potentially Clemons would keep Nkemdiche in line.

Two, the Hawks will have a very good chance to get very good players at 56, 90, and 97, but you rarely have a chance to get someone with the potential for greatness. Obviously there are a lot of red flags, or else he wouldn't be there at 26, but if you trust PC/JS to come away with players at 56, 90, and 97, they are in a position to gamble on a lottery ticket at 26.

McGruff

Reaction score
I remember Clemons silencing Christine Michael mid rap during a real rob report when Michael started rapping about weed. Literally stopped him in his tracks and just glared at him.

We have the veteran leadership on the team to take a risk on Nkemdiche. I don't think we'll get the chance though.

kearly

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1y039trr said:
I'm slowing warming up to Nkemdiche being our 1st pick.

I would strongly disagree with the pick, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't exciting. He'd basically be the latest version of Anthony Simmons or Jeremy Stevens. Both showed flashes of potential before quitting / wearing out his welcome.