"Why Richard Sherman can't let go"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyak

Reaction score
While some aspects of the article may be speculative, I do believe that Sherman and perhaps others are resentful of Wilson being the face of the franchise and also in how the offense is far less consistently than the defense is. Of course, some of that in 2016 was a byproduct of injuries and roster makeup - giving all of the star defensive players big prime contracts did have a downstream effect on investments on offense cap dollar wise.

Hopefully, 2017 sees a TEAM focused on winning a championship as opposed to living in the past and casting blame on others.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3h6lg0zy said:
Here's another article that pokes at Mike Rob's assertion that RW is at his best as a complimentary player.

Yes, great read. But every QB needs respectable run support to be at his best. Nothing too brilliant about that opinion.

Seymour

Reaction score
James in PA":31lbc3y0 said:
This article is pure crap and everyone is running with it. The media does indeed hate the Seahawks. The Falcons, who suffered a much more devastating Super Bowl loss, have their own headline on NFL.com today: "Super Bowl hangover? Not with these loaded Falcons."

Give me a friggin break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So even the Sherman Smith quotes are lies then?

I think it was well written, well laid out, and I believe much of what was written was pretty accurate myself.

To each his own.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":4o2y8q61 said:
vin.couve12":4o2y8q61 said:
Here's another article that pokes at Mike Rob's assertion that RW is at his best as a complimentary player.

Yes, great read. But every QB needs respectable run support to be at his best. Nothing too brilliant about that opinion.
I absolutely agree. What's funny to me is a whole article in defense of Wilson about a captain obvious comment made in passing.

The point is that Wilson really is lauded like an untouchable, holy angel on earth. This is sort of an exhibit A from the other day. And yes, that rhymes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":frj61kxz said:
While some aspects of the article may be speculative, I do believe that Sherman and perhaps others are resentful of Wilson being the face of the franchise and also in how the offense is far less consistently than the defense is. Of course, some of that in 2016 was a byproduct of injuries and roster makeup - giving all of the star defensive players big prime contracts did have a downstream effect on investments on offense cap dollar wise.

Hopefully, 2017 sees a TEAM focused on winning a championship as opposed to living in the past and casting blame on others.

I don't think it's because Wilson is the face of the franchise, which is debatable in it's own right.

I think players like Richard resent Russell because he's heavily involved in the playcalling, personnel and overall scheme designs of the offense, which means he has a lot of input with the coaches.

That's what the outburst and subsequent "conversations" with Pete was all about last year. Richard wants to be on the same level as Russell cause he thinks he's smart and knows better than the coaches.

Hyak

Reaction score
Seymour":pk4qo7k3 said:
vin.couve12":pk4qo7k3 said:

The understated aspects of this is that a productive running game enables the Seahawks to

1. Accentuate Wilson's skill sets in terms of play action, read option, explosive plays. He's arguable the best QB in the last 5 years in these categories.

2. Improve the red zone efficiency. Red Zone has always been an issue in the RW era but last year was the worst as RB was a train wreck for most of the season, OL play, and Wilson's run threat was minimal due to injuries.

3. Shorten the game for the defense and help dictate the flow of the game in Seattle's favor.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
You have to be consistent as a coach. You can be an insufferable asshole like Jim Harbaugh, or you can be a loose, always positive players coach like Pete, but you have to stay consistent with how you're treating players and the messages you're hoping the team takes home.

While I absolutely love Carroll for what he's done with this franchise, I can 100% understand the frustration of our defensive players that think Carroll is both positive to a fault and/or inconsistent with how he treats players. This part of the story really stood out to me:
A week later, against the Cardinals, Sherman was on the field for 99 snaps, including four on special teams. He was so exhausted and dehydrated, shivering with a fever, that he leaned on Wagner from the shower to his locker and drained two IV bags. It was a warrior effort wasted. Before overtime, Wilson's offense had managed only five first downs and nine punts. The game ended 6-6. The offensive line was manhandled, but Carroll complimented Ifedi's play after the game, privately setting off many Seahawks defenders as an example of Carroll seeming too positive.
There's a time and a place to compliment a rookie on some good plays or effort, but it's absolutely tone deaf to say something like that in front of a defense that just battled for 2/3's of a 75 minute game to watch their offense, AGAIN, struggle to even put up one touchdown.

I love Pete's approach to the game and his positivity, but it comes to a point where being Mr. Positive is being Mr. Fake or Mr. Insensitive, and that's going to wear on players no matter where they stand or how they feel about SB49 and it's lingering effects.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't think it's as simple as jealousy. I think it genuinely pisses some players off that everyone gets called out on the most minor mistake, but even if RW throws a slant pass above the shoulder and away from the body (bad bad ball placement) in the superbowl to lose the game, he's untouchable.

The play call itself, the Kearse Browner portion, Lockette "not going strong enough to the ball" were all minor compared to the dangerous inaccuracy of that throw.

And no one will point it out. Hell, Bevell even threw the WR under the buss. That's the kind of treatment that DIRECTLY BREEDS resentment.

It's not jealousy and to a certain extent, the play likely wouldn't have so much of a lasting impact if that weren't the case.

Hyak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i1iizw8 said:
JTB":1i1iizw8 said:

I don't think it's because Wilson is the face of the franchise, which is debatable in it's own right.

I think players like Richard resent Russell because he's heavily involved in the playcalling, personnel and overall scheme designs of the offense, which means he has a lot of input with the coaches.

That's what the outburst and subsequent "conversations" with Pete was all about last year. Richard wants to be on the same level as Russell cause he thinks he's smart and knows better than the coaches.

I think the resentment is rooted in many facets - off field endorsements, star treatment by the organization, personality traits - where others may view themselves as better players and more worthy. Sherman and some others do not view Wilson like Brady or Manning whether that's right or wrong.

That view, however, doesn't change that Wilson is far more irreplaceable than Sherman is given the position they play. Given that position and the resume so far (stat wise RW is on a HOF pace), he's going to have input into the game plans and scheme that a CB isn't going to have especially when the Hawks are pretty basic schematically on defense.

Success will eliminate this but this glass house mentality is what concerns me more than anything.

Seymour

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2d1ru19v said:
....There's a time and a place to compliment a rookie on some good plays or effort, but it's absolutely tone deaf to say something like that in front of a defense that just battled for 2/3's of a 75 minute game to watch their offense, AGAIN, struggle to even put up one touchdown.

I agree. I posted this into the locked thread and lost it, but that is my fault for not having ESP.

Anyway, Carroll really needs to tone down the 100% positivity during tougher times like this. There is a time and place for everything, and pissing off 52 players to build up 1 is very narrow minded of Pete.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2uk2m57r said:
I don't think it's as simple as jealousy. I think it genuinely pisses some players off that everyone gets called out on the most minor mistake, but even if RW throws a slant pass above the shoulder and away from the body (bad bad ball placement) in the superbowl to lose the game, he's untouchable.

The play call itself, the Kearse Browner portion, Lockette "not going strong enough to the ball" were all minor compared to the dangerous inaccuracy of that throw.

And no one will point it out. Hell, Bevell even threw the WR under the buss. That's the kind of treatment that DIRECTLY BREEDS resentment.

It's not jealousy and to a certain extent, the play likely wouldn't have so much of a lasting impact if that weren't the case.
Absolutely. It's a lot easier to understand the resentment when players say RW is free of criticism in front of the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well I'm tired of this whole nonsense.

Richard and the other drama queens on this team need to go study and watch how Cortez conducted himself on and off the field. Never complained, never caused problems, always smiling and laughing. Just busted his ass every play and was the greatest teammate and person anyone could ask for.

I hope that hasn't been lost on some of our current players this week. How do they want to be remembered when they retire and even die?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Just like in other threads though, I think RW, Sherm, and this team as a whole are about to go on a tear. Renewed emphasis on the run game is going to help both RW and the defense as well.

When that happens all will be well. Or at least well enough.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This article was eye opening.

The part that got me was at the end with Sherman on crutches, having to watch Wilson raise his trophy. Sherman did more to earn the Hawks that Superbowl than Wilson

Hyak

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2b0avgqm said:

It was clearly noted that the jealousy of Wilson was happening before "the play".

As for "the play", the execution of the play failed on multiple fronts but the design of it was largely predicated on Lockette being uncontested. With that in mind, the biggest fail point to me was Kearse's failure to pick Butler. If that happens, Lockette is wide open and it's a sure TD IMO.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good story, but what the defense needs to realize is, they gave up a lot of yards and points at critical times.

They are one of the best defenses, ever, but they aren't infallible.

I love Richard's passion, but he needs to look at himself, before he starts judging others. He even said it after the Crabtree melt down, "You don't build yourself up by tearing down others." Wise words to follow.

This is the truth: " "If we had just executed the play, it would have been the easiest touchdown in history."
Former Seahawks assistant coach"

The call was legit. Get as many plays in as you can, while leaving Tom Brady as little time as possible.

"Some players felt that if Carroll had just once stood before the team and apologized for not ramming Marshawn Lynch into :sarcasm_on: New England's front from the 1-yard line -- a front that had stuffed him on short yardage twice earlier

-- they would have had closure. But Carroll never apologized. And won't. By calling a pass, he wanted to maximize his scoring chances and preserve his last timeout. Bill Belichick has backed the rationale more than Carroll's own team."

It's so easy to remember the final play, but if the defense hadn't given up a lead, it never would have come down to a final play.

That said, the offense has culpability, because I suspect that some of the players didn't give it their all, thinking that a win was a forgone conclusion, and that they just had to go through the motions on the field! :229031_banghead:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How did he do more to earn it? He deserves it more than Russ? Yeah, because Russ didn't do anything to get the team a title :roll:
Might want to watch the NFC Championship again, he made some RIDICULOUS plays in that game.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
These jealousy claims and talking about "being on the same level" I've seen for a long time now and it's just way, way off, IMO. It's almost telling when someone uses those terms to describe it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jerhawk":35v9jwnw said:
This article was eye opening.

The part that got me was at the end with Sherman on crutches, having to watch Wilson raise his trophy. Sherman did more to earn the Hawks that Superbowl than Wilson

Well great point. Lets just go back and change the history of 50 years of SB sports where the winning QB and MVP are on the podium for Shermans ego massaging moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.