"Why Richard Sherman can't let go"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":rx0vp836 said:
hawknation2017":rx0vp836 said:
.... Do you honestly think New England could have won the Super Bowl without their best player? I don't think so. Belichick went NINE-straight years without a championship.

You mean like they just did last year without Gronk?

Yes, obviously they can.
Nope. Shady Brady > Gronk.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":2vav7ufi said:
hawknation2017":2vav7ufi said:
Seymour":2vav7ufi said:
hawknation2017":2vav7ufi said:
.... Do you honestly think New England could have won the Super Bowl without their best player? I don't think so. Belichick went NINE-straight years without a championship.

Yes, obviously they can.

Tom Brady is their best and most impactful player.

And they had Martellus Bennett at TE.

Go fish.

Now you play the QB card? LOL. Then Earl is not our best player. Certainly not the highest paid which in theory should lead to your best player.

But these market inefficiencies though.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3od8c63c said:
Seymour":3od8c63c said:
hawknation2017":3od8c63c said:

Yes, obviously they can.

I agree but not my point.

Russell > Earl is.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":22g3ldlt said:
Sports Hernia":22g3ldlt said:
Seymour":22g3ldlt said:
hawknation2017":22g3ldlt said:

Yes, obviously they can.

I agree but not my point.

Russell > Earl is.

This seems like a major deviation from the point of the thread. Both are great and highly impactful players on their respective side of the ball. And both were hurt last year. I don't think Wilson was ever fully healthy.

Can we agree that Earl Thomas is our defensive general and losing him was a significant cause of our defensive struggles immediately after his injury?

If so, then we are just splitting hairs. I wrote "IMO" for a reason, and these quibbles don't take away from the overarching point.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16b9e7h8 said:
JTB":16b9e7h8 said:
The conversations turned into Sherman asking, "How do we get back to playing at the highest level?"

Shut up, stop being a distraction and go intercept some passes.

Exactly, talk is cheap and that's about all I'm seeing out of Sherman lately.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Articles like this have me feeling like this is a crossroads season for the team. Get to the final four / Super Bowl etc and it will be ok. Not that anyone would be happy without winning a Super Bowl and it will feel like another chance at multipole wins sliipping away, but I think they reload and go for it again in 2018 with most of the core intact.

If it's another season of not being a 1 or 2 seed and ends with another bad loss in round 2 or earlier, I think we'll see a fairly major shakeup.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
And naturally everyone in here is an expert on what really happened.

You know what? I'm done with all this garbage. Done here. Done following sports media. Done with all this useless speculation, gossip, fake news stories, etc. I just want to watch football and cheer for the Seahawks. This is stupid.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Reaneypark":3a3bzqkz said:
Exactly, talk is cheap and that's about all I'm seeing out of Sherman lately.
I mean.. it is the off-season, and a slower one than normal at that. There are lots of things that a professional athlete can do during an off-season to screw up their season and this is awfully mild. I'd be perfectly happy seeing no further news about any Hawk until training camp starts.

irocdave

Reaction score
I read the article and skipped through the drudge of typical responses. Questioning RW or Pete is taboo by 75% of the board, ( until a losing season happens, then watch out! ) a couple of people are on RS's side, the rest are somewhere in the middle but trying to smooth things out.

I just deleted the several paragraphs I typed because I know what a shit show it would cause. I totally get how the defense see's RW as a kiss ass who is not held to the same standard defensive players are. I also understand that defensive players that perform well are younger, more aggressive and instinctual. If this article is legit, RS has a legitimate right to call out RW. He has been coddled for most of his career as has the offensive in general. RW was jacked up last year and played through several un-reported injuries, I get that. But..look at the health of the LOB against the Pats in the SB. If your a defensive player on that team, playing with injuries that required surgeries to repair, before the game started and played the entire game and watched THAT ending? What would you think?

Also factor in to that decision impacts YOUR legacy and more importantly, your immediate income. We, as well as they, know that RW has many more years of income potential in the NFL. RW has been riding the coat tails of the defense, and Lynch. How many SB's have the hawks been to without the D being historically great AND ML running the ball well? It takes an entire team to win a SB. When that team feels one guy is lapping up the success of the team, you get what is happening right now. It's up to RW to fix this.

We as fans can " express" our opinions all day long, but it doesn't mean squat. RW needs to figure out how to get "his" team on the same page, if for no other reason he is the highest paid player on " his" team and has 20 million + reasons to do so, per year.

If RW cant figure that out, he can look to Jay Cutler for how his career will end.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
irocdave":xq9jf4vt said:
I read the article and skipped through the drudge of typical responses. Questioning RW or Pete is taboo by 75% of the board, ( until a losing season happens, then watch out! ) a couple of people are on RS's side, the rest are somewhere in the middle but trying to smooth things out.

I just deleted the several paragraphs I typed because I know what a shit show it would cause. I totally get how the defense see's RW as a kiss ass who is not held to the same standard defensive players are. I also understand that defensive players that perform well are younger, more aggressive and instinctual. If this article is legit, RS has a legitimate right to call out RW. He has been coddled for most of his career as has the offensive in general. RW was jacked up last year and played through several un-reported injuries, I get that. But..look at the health of the LOB against the Pats in the SB. If your a defensive player on that team, playing with injuries that required surgeries to repair, before the game started and played the entire game and watched THAT ending? What would you think?

Also factor in to that decision impacts YOUR legacy and more importantly, your immediate income. We, as well as they, know that RW has many more years of income potential in the NFL. RW has been riding the coat tails of the defense, and Lynch. How many SB's have the hawks been to without the D being historically great AND ML running the ball well? It takes an entire team to win a SB. When that team feels one guy is lapping up the success of the team, you get what is happening right now. It's up to RW to fix this.

We as fans can " express" our opinions all day long, but it doesn't mean squat. RW needs to figure out how to get "his" team on the same page, if for no other reason he is the highest paid player on " his" team and has 20 million + reasons to do so, per year.

If RW cant figure that out, he can look to Jay Cutler for how his career will end.
I remember when Lynch, Kam, Earl, Sherman were all in the team before Russell and they didn't make it to the playoffs until he got there, but Russell is the one riding the coattails off the defense.

I remember the defense getting all the adulation after the SB win and people saying that the defense makes Russell, but Russell is the one that is coddled.

I remember Russell having the best games of his life without Lynch the last half of 2015, but Russell needs Lynch and defense to be great.

I remember Russell giving defense the SB 10 points lead and having Kearse drop the ball, but it is Russell's fault that they lost the SB.

I remember the defense costing us the 2nd seed against the Cardinals this year, costing us the playoff game both against the Falcons, costing us another playoff game against the Panthers, but let's blame Russell for that.

You need to step back and realize that team need Russell as much as they need the defense..That the defense has cost us really important games more than Russell ever will. You can't sit there and say Russell coddled or is riding Lynch cocktail, when his best year was WITHOUT Lynch in late 2015, when most of the time the defense get the praise that they are elite and they make Russell. Last, nobody made Russell, not the defense, not Lynch, he made himself, his talent made him. That why he is the franchise QB and will be known as the best Seahawks QB years to come.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Good article. The best case scenario is that this public discussion puts the chip back on Richard Shermans shoulder.

It is clearly visible that the team has not gotten mentally over the ending of XL. The fact that now everyone sees that might force them to get over it, just to show everyone.

NINEster

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1ngsq34y said:
This article was eye opening.

The part that got me was at the end with Sherman on crutches, having to watch Wilson raise his trophy. Sherman did more to earn the Hawks that Superbowl than Wilson

True.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
While of course the SB49 loss burns in me forever, if it wasn't for Jermaine Kearse's incredible reception, to keep the drive alive, lying flat on his back (I thought it was incomplete, initially), we would not have made it remotely near the 1YL.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2t22y822 said:
brimsalabim":2t22y822 said:
JTB":2t22y822 said:
I do think (and the article alluded to this) that Sherman's antics crossed the line last season both with the FO, coaching staff, and in the locker room. It became a side show rehashing the SB ending right as they were fighting for playoff seeding.

Pete should have dealt with it then and it's on him for allowing the circus. RA Ra Pete won't get this fixed. He has to pick one and ship the other.

Carroll has won playoffs games for five-consecutive years. He has led a defense that has led the NFL in scoring defense for four-consecutive years and was on pace for a 5th-consecutive year at #1 before Earl Thomas was injured.

None of the "drama" that some people love to focus on has had a measurable effect on the field. For example, we had a fist fight in the locker room before Super Bowl XLVIII and still dominated, 43-8. Lynch refused to board a team bus after Percy Harvin was traded in 2014.and we still went to the Super Bowl. That Super Bowl loss in 2014 and the playoff losses in 2015 and 2016 were most readily attributable to injuries.

In the Super Bowl loss, it was injuries across the defense to Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Lane, and Avril.

In 2015, it was injuries to multiple offensive players, including Marshawn Lynch, Graham, and Rawls.

And in 2016, it was injuries to both sides of the ball to Wilson, Lockett, Prosise, Sherman, Bennett, and Thomas.

Thomas's injury was the most devastating, IMO, because he is our best player. Do you honestly think New England could have won the Super Bowl without their best player? I don't think so. Belichick went NINE-straight years without a championship.

Enjoy Carroll's coaching of this team for as long as can because great coaches are truly the rarest thing in the sport.
I have enjoyed the Carroll era immensely. The Seahawks, for the first time ever have had legendary plays such as the beast-quake, and the curb stomping of the vaunted Denver Broncos, and the "fail" Mary. Seattle has overcome improbable odds, and assembled a team full of misfits and have-nots. With our crew of outsiders JS, and Carroll created a juggernaut unlike any I thought I'd ever see here in Seattle.

Carroll was able to unify all of these unlikely pieces together through two things, the first a simple scheme that was predicated on execution, not smoke and mirrors, and exotic blitz packages. The second was a sense of unity. Phrases such "WE ALL WE GOT WE ALL WE NEED!" become our teams rally cry. The us vs. the world mentality and the sense of family is what kept all of these strong personalities in check. Our cast offs were the has nots of the NFL that were hungry and eager to make not just a name for themselves, but the team they were on.

Unfortunately this "WE ALL WE GOT WE ALL WE NEED!" mentality only lasts for so long. As players become successful their ego, and sense of self worth also inflates. The Pete Carroll team is no longer the have nots. We have accomplished the greatest feat in football, hoisting the Lombardi trophy in front of millions of viewers world wide. The players have equally as impressive credentials, including multiple probowls and all pro selections for some of our elite players. We are no longer are the young go getters that are looking to make their way in the NFL. We are now a team full of big personalities with big paychecks, and grizzled veterans. Some of which look very jaded at the moment.

The play and the Percy Harvin trade, unfortunately are the catalysts that I think will ultimately derail the Pete Carroll era. Both of these decisions are still reverberating throughout the locker room. As much as some people want to write of these reports, I do think there is some truth to them. The 49er fans said the same thing about the dysfunction going on in San Francisco behind the scenes. As it turns out, what they thought was pure conjecture was actually rooted in at least some fact.

This us vs. the world mentality is starting to unravel. Our players now seem to be questioning not only each other but the coaches as well. To make matters worse I think Bevell poured some fuel on the fire with his comments after the play. Carroll, and Wilson handled the fallout with at least some degree of grace, but Bevell not only said it was the right decision, but then proceeded to throw a respected member of the Seahawks locker room under the bus. That kind of comment is bulletin board material for a team built on the concept of family. I think the "play" was a bad call, but I think the post game comments by Bevell did the most damage.

The play was a heart wrenching moment, probably the biggest one in Seahawk history. I just don't know if Pete Carroll has what it takes as a coach to manage this kind of fallout. Carroll is great at putting together dominate teams and flipping rosters, but now he is entering uncharted territory for him. He has never had to keep a core group of players around this long before. He was either bounced from the NFL, or was at the collegiate level where the rosters changed every 3-4 years. I do not know if he has what it takes to reign in our players after such a devastating loss.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
TwilightError":3dvruwdk said:
Good article. The best case scenario is that this public discussion puts the chip back on Richard Shermans shoulder.

It is clearly visible that the team has not gotten mentally over the ending of XL. The fact that now everyone sees that might force them to get over it, just to show everyone.

If anything it's Wilson who's being disrespected here not Sherman it's Wilson that should be playing with the chip on his shoulder he gets no respect and he's a top tier QB when healthy . I do think Wilson struggles at times but come on he's a top 7 QB easy. I'm getting tired of Sherman's BS he better bring it next year and backup all this crap he's bringing on this team or he can hit the road i'm tired of his whining.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":8valp47n said:
It's the media that '' Can't Let Go'' . They love to trash the Seahawks it's pathetic really.
BINGO!
The "TMZ mentality" is the new low bar the local sports media have created for themselves. I expect that crap out of the national media.

When Sherm and Mike B stop talking to the media they'll bitch and throw a temper tantrum over that too.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Cyrus12":a23dw9pb said:
Guess if the seahawks shit the bed this season there will likely be something to this article...

Agreed. Thats the only way to really know. What is considered shitting the bed though? In my opinion, if we get slaughtered in the 2nd round again, its time to reassess things.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":wjr77ibk said:
Cyrus12":wjr77ibk said:
Guess if the seahawks shit the bed this season there will likely be something to this article...

Agreed. Thats the only way to really know. What is considered shitting the bed though? In my opinion, if we get slaughtered in the 2nd round again, its time to reassess things.

I think not winning the division would be considered this. Just my opinion tho which means a hill of beans to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.