"Why Richard Sherman can't let go"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boycie

Reaction score
NINEster":22f5ezy1 said:
Jerhawk":22f5ezy1 said:
This article was eye opening.

The part that got me was at the end with Sherman on crutches, having to watch Wilson raise his trophy. Sherman did more to earn the Hawks that Superbowl than Wilson

True.

Oh, there's a surprise. Buddy chimes in on anything that is negative on RW.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd like to ask Richard what Russell did in 2012 after him and the defense allowed Matt Ryan to march down the field in 31 seconds to kick the game winning FG?

Did Russell harbor resentment years later blaming Richard and the defense for costing him another Ring? Nope, all Russell did was tell the national media that he was already excited about 2013.

Dave Wyman said it best on the radio yesterday, he said sometimes you have to realize that you're just a jerk.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What about the "anonymous" sources that fed info for the ESPN story. If they are indeed credible and close to the team...how are they following the "protect the team" mantra? What they did goes against that as well. If you are going to hold Richard and Mike B accountable for that, then others should be as well. It's easy to be an anonymous source to provide dirt for an article.

Hyak

Reaction score
This and similar debates are always interesting.

Sherman is a polarizing figure because of his volatile personality more so than anything else. On the field, he's the epitome of what you want in terms of ability, effort, smarts. Even his pals, however, will state that he obsesses over things and is stubborn with a refusal to admit any wrong. This article also points out that he has a real problem blaming others when things go bad.

Wilson is also polarizing. He's the favorite of the coaches and front office. His robotic routine and extreme positivity in dealing with the media isn't becoming and over time it's easy to see how it would annoy teammates. That said, you want your QB to be a steady, focused guy as opposed to someone who falls apart if something does not go right. As far as on the field, he's in the very good to great category at the hardest position in the game. If you look at his on the field production, he's on pace for a HOF career himself. The idea that he's perceived by some as the Dilfer of the 2000 Ravens is just mind boggling.

As for the lingering impact of SB 49, my personal opinion is that it's more of the offense/defense balance that's the issue as opposed to the play itself at this point. In 2016, the offense was way more up and down than in prior years and we all know the reasons why. That said, the defense after ET went out played badly down the stretch.

Drama aside, I do see Pete changing some things up. I think he's clearly redefined what he'll tolerate in terms of individualism and I see their personnel moves largely geared to improving depth and increasing competition. It gets glossed over but there's no question that the 2015/2016 teams had significant roster deficiencies that impacted their ability to win it all.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I thought it was a solid article. I think Sherm needs to have a Steve Zissou moment: "Well, I was a little upset at first. I mean, obviously people are going to think I'm a showboat, and a little bit of a prick. But then I thought... that's me. I said those things, I did those things. I can live with that. "

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think their is some internal conflicts over a variety of things. From personality clashes to frustrations over winning and losing to who is being held responsible or getting credit. That's all normal human interaction, and in this case it's in a high stress environment, so it bubbles out into the media. But I in now way see any of this affecting the on field play. Pete doesn't have to make drastic changes and make players toe a line. As long as they perform and do their jobs that's all that matters.

If for some reason we don't do as well next year as some expect that doesn't prove this article right or wrong. It doesn't mean that Pete let things get out of control. Just like last year there will be other far more obvious reasons for a bad record, if it happens. Last year they gambled on an inexperienced Oline and got bit by a few too many injuries that they didn't have the depth to overcome. Not infighting or sideline outbursts or threats to revoke someone's credentials. We might have more of that circus stuff going on, but it's not likely to bleed onto the field in a meaningful way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":3vpsgwyx said:
I think their is some internal conflicts over a variety of things. From personality clashes to frustrations over winning and losing to who is being held responsible or getting credit. That's all normal human interaction, and in this case it's in a high stress environment, so it bubbles out into the media. But I in now way see any of this affecting the on field play. Pete doesn't have to make drastic changes and make players toe a line. As long as they perform and do their jobs that's all that matters.

If for some reason we don't do as well next year as some expect that doesn't prove this article right or wrong. It doesn't mean that Pete let things get out of control. Just like last year there will be other far more obvious reasons for a bad record, if it happens. Last year they gambled on an inexperienced Oline and got bit by a few too many injuries that they didn't have the depth to overcome. Not infighting or sideline outbursts or threats to revoke someone's credentials. We might have more of that circus stuff going on, but it's not likely to bleed onto the field in a meaningful way.

if Pete and John don't think it affected on field play, then why did they shop Sherman in the off season?

We can debate to what percentage all this nonsense affects the team on the field, but make no mistake in any work environment, including pro sports negative personalities affect the product. Maybe ESPECIALLY in sports when positive team chemistry is even more important than other businesses.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":swlu40sv said:
StoneCold":swlu40sv said:

if Pete and John don't think it affected on field play, then why did they shop Sherman in the off season?

We can debate to what percentage all this nonsense affects the team on the field, but make no mistake in any work environment, including pro sports negative personalities affect the product. Maybe ESPECIALLY in sports when positive team chemistry is even more important than other businesses.

I don't know why, but it doesn't mean it was because there was a problem on the field.

Hyak

Reaction score
I don't think there is any question that their frustration level with Sherman and his with the team had everyone exploring options to part ways. I do think John and Pete handled it perfectly by involving Sherman in the process. If that helps harness is focus on getting back to being elite and having him fully buy in for 2017, that's fantastic because there is no question he's an asset when right.

The bottom line is that they need to focus on 2017 as a TEAM. The offense needs to pull their weight as does the defense and special teams. All 3 cost them games last year and as many have pointed out, it's self serving to have some guys on D cherry pick things while ignoring their shortcomings.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
There are 31 other teams that all have "dirt" to be dug up by these wannabe types of writers, included in the "dirt" are all of the rumors, falsehoods and personal opinions of anyone that cares to voice them that go back several years into a teams past. So, why are the Seahawks the only one picked out for a monthly ESPN publication? Other than the fact that ESPN is about to go down the drain (deservedly so), they must currently be grasping at straws to try and stay relevant. Clicks or bust?

In any group of +/- 100 players and coaches, there will always be some negative actions and personality differences. If one factors into that thought that the majority of those +/- 100 are very young men that have had college success & suddenly are rich, the number of negative actions probably increases. This would be true for ANY team in the NFL, not just the Seahawks.

Even more hate comes from still other "authors" that "report" this kind of garbage as if it were factual and then proceed to repeat it all over again and again. I'm not disputing a few of the many items cited are actually true, however the mix of conjecture, unknown sources and the repetition of non-substantiated crap from up to several years past is very much an attempt at getting close to relevancy. ESPN should be ashamed of themselves for this type of irresponsible journalism. I have now removed ESPN from my reading list 'cause they are officially CRAP.

Seymour

Reaction score
I would love to see Russell have a career year and Sherman get scorched, and it's entirely possible if the oline pans out. The only mistake Pete made this season by shopping Sherman was not accepting the highest offer and moving on. Sherman should get what he deserves, the Browns. And he can kiss my butt as far as I'm concerned. What a freakin whinny loser.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":3oq73m1p said:
I would love to see Russell have a career year and Sherman get scorched, and it's entirely possible if the oline pans out. The only mistake Pete made this season by shopping Sherman was not accepting the highest offer and moving on. Sherman should get what he deserves, the Browns. And he can kiss my butt as far as I'm concerned. What a freakin whinny loser.

Wow . . . :34853_doh:

toffee

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1mgvawkg said:
There are 31 other teams that all have "dirt" to be dug up by these wannabe types of writers, included in the "dirt" are all of the rumors, falsehoods and personal opinions of anyone that cares to voice them that go back several years into a teams past. So, why are the Seahawks the only one picked out for a monthly ESPN publication? Other than the fact that ESPN is about to go down the drain (deservedly so), they must currently be grasping at straws to try and stay relevant. Clicks or bust?

In any group of +/- 100 players and coaches, there will always be some negative actions and personality differences. If one factors into that thought that the majority of those +/- 100 are very young men that have had college success & suddenly are rich, the number of negative actions probably increases. This would be true for ANY team in the NFL, not just the Seahawks.

Even more hate comes from still other "authors" that "report" this kind of garbage as if it were factual and then proceed to repeat it all over again and again. I'm not disputing a few of the many items cited are actually true, however the mix of conjecture, unknown sources and the repetition of non-substantiated crap from up to several years past is very much an attempt at getting close to relevancy. ESPN should be ashamed of themselves for this type of irresponsible journalism. I have now removed ESPN from my reading list 'cause they are officially CRAP.

Where do you get your sports news?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
To be clear, ET is not the field general for the defense. Wagner calls the plays in the huddle. Any adjustments made in the front seven are about communication between Wagner and Kam. Any adjustments to the back end go through Kam, but slare communicated up through Wagner so everyone is on the same page.

ET has input if he sees something, not unlike Wright, but you cannot have the deep 3rd guy trying to call adjustments when the rest of the D can't even hear him. There's a reason why things like that revolve around the MLB and SS.

This is not to downplay ET's play. They all have to communicate, but ET is not the general. He's even specifically stated before that he relies on Kam for that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Aussie Seahawk":1ytwe1co said:
While of course the SB49 loss burns in me forever, if it wasn't for Jermaine Kearse's incredible reception, to keep the drive alive, lying flat on his back (I thought it was incomplete, initially), we would not have made it remotely near the 1YL.

It was 1st and 10 from the Patriots 40 with 1 minute left... Seahawks had 2 timeouts left

of course they could have driven down to the goal line without that catch

(had to go back and watch video of it to get the situation correct.. damn I miss football)

hawknation2017

Reaction score
vin.couve12":23c9eot4 said:
To be clear, ET is not the field general for the defense. Wagner calls the plays in the huddle. Any adjustments made in the front seven are about communication between Wagner and Kam. Any adjustments to the back end go through Kam, but slare communicated up through Wagner so everyone is on the same page.

ET has input if he sees something, not unlike Wright, but you cannot have the deep 3rd guy trying to call adjustments when the rest of the D can't even hear him. There's a reason why things like that revolve around the MLB and SS.

This is not to downplay ET's play. They all have to communicate, but ET is not the general. He's even specifically stated before that he relies on Kam for that.

Yeah, I never meant to imply that Earl Thomas was making defensive calls. I wrote defensive "general," i.e. defensive leader, albeit one who leads more by example and effect. I never said anything about the defensive calls.

classicaaron

Reaction score
this article is obviously just pure spin and doesn't provide anything new and is pretty much speculation and just the opinion of the writer. its like doing a college research paper, you can find supporting documents to support whichever stance the writer wants. and you could make just as much if not more of a case on how petes attitude helped the team move on and allowed them to be a playoff team, you just have to pick the right circumstances. afterall look how many teams who lose the superbowl never make the playoffs.

I believe everything said in the article was said at some point, but when you spin the context of it to fit your story or agenda it can easily be misleading.

so Sherman called Russ out in practice, big deal we know this is how seattle practices. Heck I say the nastiest thing ever to my closest friends. things that if I said to a complete stranger would get me in serious harm. if anything it just shows that they do have a relationship.

to me its all just off season flub. at least the article ends on an up note of Sherman resuming practice as if its all behind him. because honestly I don't know how much of it was actually in front of him anymore.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
People are losing their minds over something very, very simple in my mind. Players are still resentful of the play from going on 3 years ago. If that is true, then that is a reflection of weak mindedness.

The team had lost in tragic fashion the year before. No one turned on the D afterwards.

If (and I think alot of this story is hyperbole and out dated) Sherman still has an issue with all of this (and again, I'm not sure that he really does anymore) he should just be moved on. No animosity (sorry Seymour). Just... thanks.

This whole thing is nonsense.

erik2690

Reaction score
Aussie Seahawk":212ft4cn said:
While of course the SB49 loss burns in me forever, if it wasn't for Jermaine Kearse's incredible reception, to keep the drive alive, lying flat on his back (I thought it was incomplete, initially), we would not have made it remotely near the 1YL.

There's another Kearse moment that gets lost in the shuffle. Up 10 at the end of 3rd on 3rd down at about the 50 Wilson throws an absolute beauty that drops right into Kearse's hands around the 20 yard line. He drops it. That moment has a lot of 'what ifs' to me as well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":36dv3ht2 said:
So much I could say, but I'd have to ban myself.......

Status
Not open for further replies.