Why should we dislike the 49ers?

OP
OP
B

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Bakergirl":3645npcl said:
No one around here is going to kill any 9er fans we'll happily leave that embarassment/shaming of their teams business between Raider/49er fans. :mrgreen:

We may be fortunate enough to not have a single fan capable of killing someone for something sports related but it isn't only limited to us and our intentions. If we're as upstanding as we think we are, that still doesn't rule out one of us doing some well-meaning, all in good fun trash-talk and getting killed by another team's fan for it. I don't think a fear or cautious attitude should rule how we go about doing things like it might seem like I'm implying by talking about what could go wrong, but it's also something we can't just ignore, particularly if we're as upstanding as we would like to think we are.

SNDavidson":3645npcl said:
The behavior is not worth rationalizing because it is irrational and we all know that. You make it sound like we are all knuckledraggers. So because people got hurt while performing for the WWE it is a bad example? Call me crazy but I thought we were discussing the hype and hyperbole among fans of such events not the danger of the events themselves. Roy got mauled by a tiger during a magic show, do you think anyone seriously cheered that on? Should magic be outlawed? Should the WWE be outlawed? How about the NFL, where people get seriously hurt literally every day?

Thought your thread was about how we all mindlessly hate other people because we're dumb and barbaric. My point is that we don't, you are misguided here, and your preaching would be better suited in an area of real need where people truly have malice in their hearts.

But the behavior is rational to an extent. Talking trash can be fun. Touting the greatness of the Seahawks can feel good. Making light of the plight of a rival can be funny. But lots of things can do these same tricks which is why I've been asking for specifics.

We kind of got off on a tangent talking about those rare but horrible cases I suppose but they're an interesting, albeit morbid, topic too. I mean, take your example of Roy Horn getting attacked by a tiger. We could freak out about it and cast judgment on their profession or their fans for encouraging a dangerous act. You might interpret my posts as doing this about something bad which hasn't even happened yet (to our fans at least). Or we can ask why that incident happened in the first place and try to learn something from it. We can ask about what could be done to prevent that incident and then take the conversation to talking about what can be done with other potential problems to prevent bad events before they have a chance to happen. It's another rabbit hole but w/e it's the off-season and somethings gotta fill the void left by the uniform and QB threads of last year, so what the hell, right?

dunceface":3645npcl said:
Once again I will reiterate my belief that the infatuation with the violent sport of football is a direct result of our intrinsically violent culture. Simple as that. Sports fanaticism is just one of the myriad of ways the current media culture breeds complacency and consumerism. If you don't understand that, you're just hopelessly lost. GO HAWKS!

I agree with some of what you say but it still begs the question of why football specifically? I still ask this because it can't be that simple. Take a look at nature programs. They show animals hunting, killing, and then feasting on each other. This is way more violent than football could ever allow itself to be and yet there isn't a singular multi-billion dollar industry dividing people into groups of thousands of fans who antagonize one another for their preferences and in rare cases even kill each other over their preferences. If violence were the key ingredient, PBS would have pull better ratings than football, and we'd have media outlets tripping over itself to provide footage from our various wars instead of distancing themselves because their readers and viewers are troubled by the violence of it. We'd also be, like Davidson mentioned as an example earlier, cheering stuff like Roy getting mauled by a lion instead of being horrified and this isn't the case. The appeal of violence in football is a specific kind of violence and it seems like only a smaller apart of the entire appeal.

I don't think the media has as big of a role as you're suggesting. If they're breeding complacency and consumerism it's because when they sell it, we buy it. Thus they keep selling it until our tastes force a change. If this is how it works, then the media is more of a product of us than us us being a product of them. This is also probably why I'm talking about these kinds of things on a football forum instead of a place that's perceived to be more serious, for those of you who were curious.

OP
OP
B

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I think the overall appeal of the violence in football is generally because the consequences of the violence seem far away and unreal. We might like violence but we hate consequences. If a player doesn't get visibly injured on a play, it doesn't seem like anyone actually got hurt. Even if he goes on to die at a noticeably younger age than he should, it won't seem like he was the recipient of real violence because there's enough distance between the violent events that likely caused the origin of this hypothetical player's death and the event of his death itself. The appeal of violence is football is basically a loophole in our nature. It taps into our natural joy of violence and sidesteps the parts of our nature which abhor violence. In this way, we're kind of like smokers who know all about how smoking is bad but don't wish to quit. And it's fun!

I don't want it to sound like this makes us bad people. For a lot of us, it's probably more along the lines of us just accepting a certain part of our nature and using football to feed that and keep us as sane as can be, even if we don't think of it that way. Why football specifically? People prefer the antagonism of rivalries in football because they satisfy those parts of human nature more fully and with fewer cognitive consequences (unfortunately, the consequences are still real). Overall, it's kind of a trick but it's a handy trick. Anyone care to disagree?

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I believe it was Kiekegaard or Pehawk who once said"A man who as a physical being is always turned toward the outside, thinking that his happiness lies outside him, finally turns inward and discovers that the source is within him."

OP
OP
B

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Throwdown":w1ynnwo3 said:
what in the hell are you talking about?

Please make it short and sweet for me.

We all want to feel like we're a part of something, feel like there are good guys (us) and bad guys (not us), occasionally see something violent, and have fun doing it all. Football rivalries let us accomplish a lot of this while not feeling too guilty or responsible about the flaws of the process.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I dislike 49er fans because I"ve never met a real one in real life.

I spend about 50% of my time in San Francisco on business, and I have literally met ZERO 49er fans in that city. The average Seahawk fan could tell you when Zorn played, when Krieg played, what position they played, they might even know who Blades was if you asked them. They definitely know who Kenny Easley was.

Last time I was in San Francisco, some dork in a Giants hat was giving me grief about my Seahawks jersey. So I told him I thought the Seahawks secondary combined was about twice as good as Ronnie Lott in his prime. Dude gave me a blank stare. I said, you know who Ronnie Lott is, right? Blank stare. That's the average 49er fan. They'll brag about rings, but they don't even know Carroll worked for Walsh, and they definitely don't know who Roger Craig was. Biggest bunch of wanker poser wannabe fans in the entire NFL. Even Redksin fans, who rank slightly below neanderthals on the intelligence scale, even they are familiar with their own SuperBowl teams. 49er fans... next time one brings up their rings, ask them anything about those 80's teams. They'll give you a blank stare. Unless you bring up Jerry Rice or Joe Montana (as if they were the best members of those champion teams). Most ignorant fairweather fans in the NFL.

There are no 49er fans in San Francisco. They all root for the Giants. San Fran is a baseball town. Don't believe me? Go hang out there. See for yourself.

Throwdown

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2d9i6b35 said:
Throwdown":2d9i6b35 said:
what in the hell are you talking about?

Please make it short and sweet for me.

We all want to feel like we're a part of something, feel like there are good guys (us) and bad guys (not us), occasionally see something violent, and have fun doing it all. Football rivalries let us accomplish a lot of this while not feeling too guilty or responsible about the flaws of the process.

Look bro, maybe you're doing your final college paper on fans at .NET, but its not even like that for some of us.

Its the fact that the fans for the 9ers are obnoxious, I never had a problem until 2010 when they popped up outta no where talking head for asolutely NO reason at all, and then 2011 with their who's got it better than us garbage. What sent me into full on hate mode was the Christmas Eve game in 2011, just lookig at those fans in the OUR stadium, rubbing things that we started in our faces for celebration rubbed me the wrong way, and you had the bitch ass players on the 49ers doing it too.

Did I get a little overboard in that game? yeah, i know this because I caught myself cheering when Robinson and I think it was Moten hit a dude who was on his knees and I yelled at the TV for the 49ers player to "get his bitch ass up off our field, and be a man", also said the same thing when Delanie Walker got kicked in the jaw.

Point is the fans drove me to this point, not the violence of the game, I wouldn't give 80% of the F's I do about the 49ers or their franchise if it wasn't for their annoying fans.

BBHawks

Reaction score
Hate is too strong a word for sports. Save your hate for murderers, rapists, terrorists, people who beat up women and racists. There are lots of nice Niner fans and their team is filled with great young athletes just like ours is. Calm down.

And Hans Gruber, you're full of crap as usual. San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area is filled with Niner fans. You must just run with a weird crowd down there.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Irrational sports hate is one of my favorite things in life.

For this reason, I will continue to HATE the 49ers, Colin Kaepernick, Jim Harbaugh, and anyone else that trots out wearing the red and gold. I don't hate many things/people in real life, so I save it for the sports world and it feels damn good!

Bakergirl

Reaction score
HansGruber":vsda94zd said:

I spend about 50% of my time in San Francisco on business, and I have literally met ZERO 49er fans in that city. The average Seahawk fan could tell you when Zorn played, when Krieg played, what position they played, they might even know who Blades was if you asked them. They definitely know who Kenny Easley was.

Last time I was in San Francisco, some dork in a Giants hat was giving me grief about my Seahawks jersey. So I told him I thought the Seahawks secondary combined was about twice as good as Ronnie Lott in his prime. Dude gave me a blank stare. I said, you know who Ronnie Lott is, right? Blank stare. That's the average 49er fan. They'll brag about rings, but they don't even know Carroll worked for Walsh, and they definitely don't know who Roger Craig was. Biggest bunch of wanker poser wannabe fans in the entire NFL. Even Redksin fans, who rank slightly below neanderthals on the intelligence scale, even they are familiar with their own SuperBowl teams. 49er fans... next time one brings up their rings, ask them anything about those 80's teams. They'll give you a blank stare. Unless you bring up Jerry Rice or Joe Montana (as if they were the best members of those champion teams). Most ignorant fairweather fans in the NFL.

There are no 49er fans in San Francisco. They all root for the Giants. San Fran is a baseball town. Don't believe me? Go hang out there. See for yourself.

As someone now living in the Bay Area I approve this message.

OP
OP
B

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Throwdown":1i24q9d2 said:
Look bro, maybe you're doing your final college paper on fans at .NET, but its not even like that for some of us.

Its the fact that the fans for the 9ers are obnoxious, I never had a problem until 2010 when they popped up outta no where talking head for asolutely NO reason at all, and then 2011 with their who's got it better than us garbage. What sent me into full on hate mode was the Christmas Eve game in 2011, just lookig at those fans in the OUR stadium, rubbing things that we started in our faces for celebration rubbed me the wrong way, and you had the bitch ass players on the 49ers doing it too.

Did I get a little overboard in that game? yeah, i know this because I caught myself cheering when Robinson and I think it was Moten hit a dude who was on his knees and I yelled at the TV for the 49ers player to "get his bitch ass up off our field, and be a man", also said the same thing when Delanie Walker got kicked in the jaw.

Point is the fans drove me to this point, not the violence of the game, I wouldn't give 80% of the F's I do about the 49ers or their franchise if it wasn't for their annoying fans.

One of the great things about football rivalries is we don't usually feel bad for going a little overboard. I think your experience is a great example of this. We just point at the guys on the other side who have done and continue to do worse and then say it's not so bad and that we're still the good guys. But this is a paradox. If I was 9er fan and I was asking 9er fans this, they'd start saying similar things about how it's us who are driving them to that point and how they're the good guys. We have ill will against people because they have ill will against us, but they have ill will against us because we have ill will against them. Even so, why include their organization in your dislike for what their fans do, especially when so many of us believe a lot of their fans to be band-wagoners that don't truly support their team like we do?

dunceface":1i24q9d2 said:
AngryComma is good at talking in circles

You had a good point about violence but I think it's more complicated than you're suggesting because we like violence much less and even hate it in other parts of life. Why do you think that is?

HagFaithful

Reaction score
HansGruber":yvi59n97 said:

Spot on, Hans. 9'er fans (in general and at an alarming rate) are ignorant about their OWN team's history and the game of football in general. Most don't watch football outside of 9'er games. One of my closest friends is a 9'er fan, and get this, the guy went snowboarding during this year's Super Bowl. Can you friggin' imagine the Seahawks making the Super Bowl and you doing ANYTHING but watching the game?!! Absolutely. Baffling.

As a Bay Area native, I would much rather talk football with Raider fans than 9'er fans. Sure, you have to sift through all the machismo and Al Davis cliches ("Just Win Baby" "Commitment to Excellence"), but at least Raider fans (in general) have a passion and understanding of football outside of their myopic team interest. And since the Raiders have been the worst franchise in the NFL over the past decade, their fans are becoming quite humble.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
BBHawks":2tm5eo8s said:
Hate is too strong a word for sports. Save your hate for murderers, rapists, terrorists, people who beat up women and racists. There are lots of nice Niner fans and their team is filled with great young athletes just like ours is. Calm down.

And Hans Gruber, you're full of crap as usual. San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area is filled with Niner fans. You must just run with a weird crowd down there.

And I agree with this. 9'er fans DO exist and they have a legit team. I would like to add "adults who dress up like clowns and perform at children's parties" to the hate list.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Because we don't have to battle saber tooth tigers or mammoths or rival tribes anymore, but those part of our brains still exist, particularly in men. We do our best to stimulate that primal drive in a civilized way, football does a good job and part of that is the whole "us vs them" mentality that has served to bind groups of humans through struggle for thousands of years. It simultaneously stimulates the higher functioning strategic part of our brains that allowed humans to eventually form complex civilization and leave the Stone Age behind.

But really, why pick it apart? It's part of who we are as humans because of our evolutionary history. Just go with it. We want our team to win, they have 2-3 chances every year to derail that, they are an obstacle.

NYCoug

Reaction score
BBHawks":1kcgabw0 said:

Oh, don't worry, I hate those type of people too. 49ers and 49ers fans slot in on the list somewhere after racists and PC (Politically Correct) softies. :th2thumbs: