Why would you create plays your QB cannot audible out of?

jblaze

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2u47g88x said:
How can you say passing was the best option?

Name the time where Lynch was stopped for a loss?

Patriots weren't even really in goal line, they didn't stack the box - they were expecting pass.

They were in goal line, although they had an extra CB in the game. They had their big package in.

Also, Lynch had 5 carries from the 1 yard line this season and only got in once.

Having said that, I would still have foregone the formation/personnel grouping numbers game and still given it to Lynch because he's that good but technically a 3 WR set is a counter to a goal line defense.

So I see where they're coming from with the call, but I still think you throw all that out of the window when you have a back like Lynch.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
jblaze":1yxojpzk said:
SonicHawk":1yxojpzk said:

Patriots weren't even really in goal line, they didn't stack the box - they were expecting pass.

They were in goal line, although they had an extra CB in the game. They had their big package in.

Also, Lynch had 5 carries from the 1 yard line this season and only got in once.

Having said that, I would still have foregone the formation/personnel grouping numbers game and still given it to Lynch because he's that good but technically a 3 WR set is a counter to a goal line defense.

So I see where they're coming from with the call, but I still think you throw all that out of the window when you have a back like Lynch.

The Patriots had only one defender behind the front 6. You don't think Lynch can break through one line?

jblaze

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3gyuwns4 said:
Earlier in the year, we had the exact same situation. Russell threw the ball to Lynch, who was lined up as a receiver on the left side. It ricochet off the hands of Lynch and was intercepted in the end zone. I don't remember the game, but it ball was wet.
I hate the play, mostly because of the traffic around that area. Also, I think Russell threw the ball too high. That ball should have been thrown lower.

RW's lack of height prevents him from throwing it lower. Ideally it would go to Lockette's lower back side but one has to have height to throw it to a lower angle like that when in the pocket.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3bfi35mp said:
HoustonHawk82":3bfi35mp said:
If he had glanced left at the snap, he may even have beat the pursuit around the left on a keeper to the pylon.

He had Marshawn out there to get at least one guy blocked.

And that's why the play is so bad. Bad play call by Bevell, horrible job reading the defense by Russ.

The Pats were stacked against a run. The slant pass was a quick trigger play designed to beat man coverage because it was a pick play. Once called it becomes a quick pass and catch. The pass was slightly high and the receiver was slightly hesitant. Lockette plain got beat by a 170 pound rookie corner.
Only way to know if Wilson could audible out of it is to ask Bevell and Pete who maintain this was the correct call.

jblaze

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3a20saok said:
jblaze":3a20saok said:
SonicHawk":3a20saok said:

The Patriots had only one defender behind the front 6. You don't think Lynch can break through one line?

I certainly do think he would have gotten in. Lynch was not going to be denied there.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2sckvkqu said:
SonicHawk":2sckvkqu said:
HoustonHawk82":2sckvkqu said:
If he had glanced left at the snap, he may even have beat the pursuit around the left on a keeper to the pylon.

He had Marshawn out there to get at least one guy blocked.

And that's why the play is so bad. Bad play call by Bevell, horrible job reading the defense by Russ.

The Pats were stacked against a run. The slant pass was a quick trigger play designed to beat man coverage because it was a pick play. Once called it becomes a quick pass and catch. The pass was slightly high and the receiver was slightly hesitant. Lockette plain got beat by a 170 pound rookie corner.
Only way to know if Wilson could audible out of it is to ask Bevell and Pete who maintain this was the correct call.

You don't need to audible. You need to live another day and throw it away.

MVP53

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":jdizux7d said:
HawKnPeppa":jdizux7d said:
HawkFan72":jdizux7d said:
Wilson said he trusted the play and thought it was a TD when he let the ball go.

He wouldn't have audibled out of it anyway.

This ^^^^^ Where does the OP get the idea that Russ 'didn't like' the play when all of Russ's post-game comments say otherwise x100?

Im more talking in general. Why would an OC ever have this stipulation?

I don't know that any OCs have a "no audible" stipulation. Maybe if you have a rookie QB you don't trust.

I guess I don't understand the point of the question.

jblaze

Reaction score
The play looked good before snap. Look at the pic one second after snap, the route looks open.

With a goal line defense looking at your OLine with 3WR, an audible to a run would not have been the correct call.

RW can audible if the defense looks suseptible to the alternative play but I don't think it did in this case.