Will fans be a part of this season?

zchurch74

Reaction score
It will just take a year to get a vaccine and get it to the people. I think things will get back to normal for all sports in the fall of 2021

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
nrayorr":2q9bnzec said:
As someone who works in the medical field and exposed to patients that could have the virus on a daily basis I cannot support the idea of having fans in the stadiums. It's even going to be just as problematic for the players, but I'd like to see testing done on like a Saturday and the day of the game. Testing negative one day for the virus doesn't mean that testing positive the next day couldn't happen because it could as I have witnessed on numerous occasions. If a player tests negative both days let him play.

I would rather watch football on television this year because we are just now at the point of flattening the curve, but what people don't tend to realize is that once we flatten the curve we have to get to a point of no more spreading before we can see a gradual downward trend of this virus not spreading. I am for no fans in the stadium even though it pains me to write this since I am a season ticket holder. Better safe than sorry!

I have to agree conditionally. Conditionally because even testing all players plus all staff on gameday could mean 200K tests in a season according to Peter King and Dr. Fauci. Fauci is saying that might not be "piggish" by August and with that I disagree. I'm in the most infected area in my county, and I could take a bike ride to Gilead very easily. It is not like it is biotech deprived here. The number of tests in the whole county so far? Just over 18,000. And there's no free testing available in the county. Not widely publicized, anyway.

And despite the "piggishness" take what happens if someone does test positive. Players practice as a unit. All those players would have to be quarantined as well as the PS and backups they practiced against. Test positive after your game? Now it's not just everyone in your unit and the PS/backups, it's the players on the other team that may have hit you. If there's a scrum pile? God.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":zgmgppm4 said:
i'M WONDERING IF THIS DOESN'T END UP BEING THE FUTURE. nOTHING WILL BE THE SAME AFTER THIS PANDEMIC. tHERE IS NO "GETTING BACK TO NORMAL"...DAMN ALL CAPS, TO LAZY TO RETYPE

The internet and streaming is the future, it was easy to see before this. These mega stadiums are going to be relics.

Piping in crowd noise will actually be the thing just like the Hawks were accused of doing.

All viruses go away eventually, that's the nature of viruses. They hit, then change, then hit again, come back, go away, etc.

So no this isn't forever, it's until we can get an effective vaccine, and more importantly get it to everyone on the planet. So it's not a matter of if, just a matter of when. Could be six months, could be six years. Who the hell knows.

In the mean time, every sporting event is going to be weird without fans. But I think the large majority of sports fans just want sports, in whatever capacity that is until we can all go back to sporting events safely.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
NHRA drag racing will return this summer and that is good news for me. Especially since the Houston event is always in April, now its in October which will be way better weather wise.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25c0xhx8 said:
Largent80":25c0xhx8 said:
i'M WONDERING IF THIS DOESN'T END UP BEING THE FUTURE. nOTHING WILL BE THE SAME AFTER THIS PANDEMIC. tHERE IS NO "GETTING BACK TO NORMAL"...DAMN ALL CAPS, TO LAZY TO RETYPE

The internet and streaming is the future, it was easy to see before this. These mega stadiums are going to be relics.

Piping in crowd noise will actually be the thing just like the Hawks were accused of doing.

All viruses go away eventually, that's the nature of viruses. They hit, then change, then hit again, come back, go away, etc.

So no this isn't forever, it's until we can get an effective vaccine, and more importantly get it to everyone on the planet. So it's not a matter of if, just a matter of when. Could be six months, could be six years. Who the hell knows.

In the mean time, every sporting event is going to be weird without fans. But I think the large majority of sports fans just want sports, in whatever capacity that is until we can all go back to sporting events safely.

There may never be a vaccine. We just don't know enough to absolutely assume there will be. There is pretty good hope that we can effectively treat the virus instead of the symptoms in severe cases; that's most likely the best place to put your hopes at this point.

Your description of viruses going away is a little odd, given the history of things like smallpox.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Life will go on. Their may be a new normal but it will get back to normal eventually. People who supported the lock down are now starting to be upset at how long the lock down is.

I think Phase 2 would be cool rn. However it seems washington is mid july if perfect. California is pushing for 2021.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Nope. I still feel there won’t be any football played anywhere. In fact, any contact sport.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1gsqhnt4 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gsqhnt4 said:
Largent80":1gsqhnt4 said:

There may never be a vaccine. We just don't know enough to absolutely assume there will be. There is pretty good hope that we can effectively treat the virus instead of the symptoms in severe cases; that's most likely the best place to put your hopes at this point.

Your description of viruses going away is a little odd, given the history of things like smallpox.

Smallpox was officially declared by the CDC as being completely eradicated in 1980.

https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/history/history.html

But I was more talking about the cyclical nature of viruses. They hit, go away........then they come back (flu's usually in the fall/winter).

There will be a vaccine for Covid-19, probably dozens of them. It's the effectiveness and access that'll dictate when fans will be able to attend live sports again.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=164376

Joe Buck says Fox will embrace alternate reality to make sure there is appearance that fans are part of NFL football this season.

"FOX broadcaster Joe Buck expects the network to pipe fake crowd noise into NFL broadcasts this fall assuming fans won't be allowed in stadiums.

Buck told Andy Cohen that "it's pretty much a done deal" that the FOX and other networks will do so during the 2020 season.

He also suggested that virtual fans will be used, so that when a wide shot happens the fans at home will see the appearance of a full stadium."

ANDY COHEN/SIRIUSXM RADIO

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Heard that yesterday. That is the about as stupid as an idea gets. Fake fans in the seats and pumped in noise? Lame

Uncle Si

Reaction score
German soccer league is up and running today.

No fans.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1g7adyb4 said:
Heard that yesterday. That is the about as stupid as an idea gets. Fake fans in the seats and pumped in noise? Lame

I wholeheartedly agree. It's not going to make us feel "normal." We will all know it is fake. And what exactly are they going to do here? Film low-res footage of fans causing C-link to register an earthquake when in fact there are NO FANS there?

IF (and that is a big IF) there are games at all, no fans is part of the reality as much as any scoring play is. This isn't Madden, if it were, we would not need games at all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not that big of an if... German soccer league started today. French, Spanish, Italian in two weeks, english in 4.

These games typically hold 35-80k, depending on arena.

Little bit of pumped in noise. Wasn't the same, wasn't terrible.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3s7bint1 said:
Nope. I still feel there won’t be any football played anywhere. In fact, any contact sport.

UFC has been done 3 fight nights already, without the fans.

hawks85

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":23m9md90 said:
I think it starts out with no fans but there will be some with restrictions towards the end of the season.
Its hard to imagine games having no fans. We would all hear exactly whats being called on the field.

RCATES

Reaction score
In Seattle where Politics rule all I doubt we see fans in the seats at all this year.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":16b7upqv said:
Life will go on. Their may be a new normal but it will get back to normal eventually. People who supported the lock down are now starting to be upset at how long the lock down is.

I think Phase 2 would be cool rn. However it seems washington is mid july if perfect. California is pushing for 2021.

I agree that everything will return to normal eventually. There will be a vaccine developed but it will take some time, I just wished the powers that be jumped on this much sooner. I foresee that it will be incorporated within the flu vaccine that we get on a yearly basis. In the medical field we do have vaccines that have more than just one vaccine in it so this would be no different. Remember, this is just an assumption but it makes sense to me to do it that way.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
RCATES":12ql3ep5 said:
In Seattle where Politics rule all I doubt we see fans in the seats at all this year.

And Seattle politics is different from any other American city? I'm sure everyone in the US would say their city is too political.

You won't see fans because 60,000 people in close proximity is a bad idea. Nothing to do with politics really.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
With no fans in the stands, Pete and Schotty will finally be able to here me yelling at them and telling them what the H*** they need to change, from my spot in front of my TV 50 miles away. So I expect a greatly improved offense this year! :mrgreen: