Will the Hawks be better or worse next year?

Will the Hawks be better or worse next year?

• Yes the FO will build an even stronger team in FA and draft for next year.

Votes: 84 78.5%
  • No the FA losses, the cuts and lower draft picks mean we will struggle next year to be as good.

Votes: 23 21.5%

• Total voters

seahawks08

Reaction score
I feel we will better, better measured in less close games and more convincing wins. However we will not be ready to travel 3 games and win NFCC game away from clink. The number of games we travel during playoff is 2 or less, we are going to Arizona. All how I look pr predict about the hawks. So HFA will still be our priority as last year. They will want to capitalize on 12th man advantage and will play to be home.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1crurj5a said:
This is a slightly loaded question

Will we be worse because of the FA losses? Probably. That's what losing depth does to a roster. Will we still be good enough to win the Super Bowl again? Absolutely.

Yep, pretty much exactly this. I think we could easily see a drop from 13-3 just because that's a really difficult mark to replicate while playing in such a tough division and requires us to dodge the minefields of bad luck (injury and otherwise) that derail teams' seasons.

We'll still be very, very good.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
sutz":4u09gffi said:
Voted yes, though I'm not confident that our W/L record will improve. Kind of like Pete's first two seasons. Both were 7-9, but 2011 was noticably better on the field than 2010.

But that is why I did not say more wins. I think a team can be "better" but due to circumstances not have as good of a record or even win the SB, but the team can be better.

Pete's second year of 7 and 9 was a much better team than the first 7 and 9 team even though the first one won a playoff game.

Some people simplify the question that better or worse just comes down to wins and losses or a championship. There are too many variables.

I think you can have a better team but not get the same results. There are plenty of teams that have won the Super Bowl who were not close to being the best team.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Good to see how many people are positive that the team will actually be stronger next year. Shows the majority of the .net is more positive than the posts in most of the threads.

For all you nay sayers, stronger/better of a team does not actually mean more wins or a SB. Winning the SB often happens from a team not the best in the NFL. We can be stronger and better without a better record or a better result.

Of course we all want not only to be as good of a record as last year but also a repeat in the SB. It will happen however!

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
1. HOLY SHITE....THE MUTHA FRIGGIN SKYYYY IS FALLINNNNN.....

or...

2. we're going to be OK because the front office has a clue about foozeball...

I'm selecting #2

Escamillo

Reaction score
Our roster is still very young. That means that each of those young players can be better next year simply by having an extra year of experience under their belt.
Just like in college football, Seniors are better than Juniors are better than Sophomores are better than Freshmen, generally speaking.
Take our QB, for instance. There is every reason to believe that he'll be better next year simply by being in his third rather than second year.
Same goes for all of our young players.

I'm guessing that generally speaking, a given player with less than five years experience will be better the following year just by being more experienced, particularly if the player is beyond his second year in the league (since that's the year where "sophomore slumps" are common).

So, while our roster might not have as much depth next year (which remains to be seen), we can still be a better team next year, simply by being older.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Percey Harvin will be what we all wanted him to be and upgrading the size of our WR's though the draft will pay off for Wilson and our Red Zone percentage. Our young team will grow and play better and we will have lees injuries on the OL . Plus Christin Michael will explode when given the chance

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rainger":6evpji30 said:
But that is why I did not say more wins. I think a team can be "better" but due to circumstances not have as good of a record or even win the SB, but the team can be better.

Pete's second year of 7 and 9 was a much better team than the first 7 and 9 team even though the first one won a playoff game.

Some people simplify the question that better or worse just comes down to wins and losses or a championship. There are too many variables.

I think you can have a better team but not get the same results. There are plenty of teams that have won the Super Bowl who were not close to being the best team.

This is why I said your question is somewhat 'loaded'

If the Seahawks go 11-5 and lose in the NFC Championship, that would by definition be a "worse" season than the 2013 one. But it doesn't mean the team sucked.. like you said.. the better teams don't always get the same results. A great example of this is the 2012 Seahawks.

This team is set up to be a bonafide contender more often than not. Assuming injuries don't wipe us out (which, every year, will eliminate a team from contention) and the like.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Our D takes a little step back, but our O starts to ball. Russ throws for over 4000 on his way to MVP and ADB scrapes 1000 yards.

joeshaney

Reaction score
I didn't read through everything.
But, I think we should be a bit better.

We've lost some guys. Some good players really. But strictly considering where we were strong and where we could improve, I see things like this:

Offensive line is issue 1,2 and 3.
Run defense was adequate but we have zero room for regression.
Since the the only considerably losses have been Tate, Bryant and Clemons.

As a result we have the following needs:
1. Wide receiver. Sidney Rice, our CFL signing, Price and a mid round pick or two will more than suffice.

2. Red Bryant. I believe the answer is already on the team.

3. Clemons. I don't think Irvin will move back here. This is an area we need to address via FA or draft.

4. Offensive line. I'm not sure what's up here. As much as I like the upside of Bowie and Bailey this is the one area I am super uncomfortable with.

Honorable mention.
Nickel Corner. I might be in the minority but I think Thurmond is a must resign unless a team gets stupid with overpayment. I also think that his Twitter activity shows a player extremely influenced by the Seattle fans. He does not want to go.

Tokadub

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1zpwokhc said:
Blitzer88":1zpwokhc said:
I just really hated seeing Tate go, he was just a huge part of our offense this year and Russell had a great connection with him.

You realize that Tate is completely replaced and even considerably improved upon with Harvin?

And what if Harvin gets injured which I think is VERY likely. We won't have Tate who was our #1 in receiving yards for our Super Bowl season?

Also Harvin doesn't do punt returns, and I'm fairly certain he doesn't block nearly as well.

Tate is like a slightly less explosive Harvin but he is durable, taking hits left and right no problem.

Harvin is like a glass cannon, he can do damage but you can easily break him and take him out for multiple games or nearly entire seasons with perfectly legal hits.

I just think it's really foolish to put all your eggs in one basket with Harvin. I'm not optimistic about his chances to stay healthy and play every game.

Without Tate's clutch first downs and punt returns we would have had no chance to be #1 in NFC.

It's amazing how many people undervalue Tate even our own fans, must of been watching a different player than I was.

So assuming Harvin does get injured I think we will be worst than we were last season, and very significantly so. If he plays every game which would take a miracle we have a chance to be better.

If our offensive line improves tremendously AND Harvin plays every game we got Super Bowl on lock down pretty much.

But statistically I feel like we have a greater chance to be worst next season since I predict Harvin will get injured. Without Tate or Harvin we will have serious offensive issues.

There is no guarantee our defense will get better, really no reason to believe it will in fact. Most likely our defense will start to decline however slight that may be this season. I was hoping we could improve our offense to counteract that but it seems that won't be the case unless we make some great moves on offensive line.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":q4jdb0mx said:
rainger":q4jdb0mx said:

This is why I said your question is somewhat 'loaded'

If the Seahawks go 11-5 and lose in the NFC Championship, that would by definition be a "worse" season than the 2013 one. But it doesn't mean the team sucked.. like you said.. the better teams don't always get the same results. A great example of this is the 2012 Seahawks.

This team is set up to be a bonafide contender more often than not. Assuming injuries don't wipe us out (which, every year, will eliminate a team from contention) and the like.
Thanks that means you agree with me this is what I said in my post.
"I for one will predict right now that the next years team will be even stronger than this last one, that does not mean losses or bad breaks or missing out on the SB, but we will dominate more teams next year than the many close games we had this year. Mark my words."

lsheldon

Reaction score
Talking heads at ESPN are already saying were a worse team than last year. Simply because the team hasn't jumped into the FA fray with both feet like the panicking Donkeys. You can bet money Pete & John have a plan in the works to bring the team back stronger and faster. I have faith.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
lsheldon":jgeasd09 said:
Talking heads at ESPN are already saying were a worse team than last year. Simply because the team hasn't jumped into the FA fray with both feet like the panicking Donkeys.
The Donkeys made a good move in getting Ward... but what are the odds that Talib and Ware last the whole season?

No so good imo. When one or both go down (again) they will suffer.